BEWARE!! Don't open hood to strangers.

Special sales and promotional items from the dealers that advertise and support RMDRA.

If you are a paid advertiser or have been a sponsor of the RMDRA, feel free to tell us about your offerings and specials in the forum...

If you are not an RMDRA Advertiser, you may reply to any post, but you may NOT start a new post. Please PM Dobi if you want access to this forum.
bfdirect
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

BEWARE!! Don't open hood to strangers.

Post by bfdirect »

There is a guy in Calgary ripping alot of customers off working on their bikes. His name is Dave Hope / Dave Gilchrist (bad when you change your name.) calling his business INSIDE LINE. I guess when you have a history like this it makes sense

http://mxforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34344" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The main reason I am posting this is he is using my personal name as a reference and saying he was an ex race team mechanic for Dusty Klatt on the Blackfoot Racing team. This is false he never worked for me and I have no idea who he is and there is no association to him from the past. Crazy thing is he works from his house so it is not like he can hide. I have had four people come here in the last two weeks claiming they have been taken by him.

I know that money is tight these days and everyone is looking to save a buck. I am a consumer also and get it. But a backyard guy like this has zero overhead, no insurance, no WCB etc so $85 per hour is a great deal for both sides. When you go to any shop in town at least you know that if the job is not done correctly you have some recourse. But the majority of time the work is right the first time as it was done by a licensed mechanic.

To help some of you guys looking for a better deal we have reduced our shop rate down to $99 per hour from now until the end of January. If you have your bike in the garage and need some work done why wait until the spring when the price is high and the waits are long.

We can even assist in free pick up and dropping bike off (work over $500) if you live within 10 KM of the shop and a minimal charge if you are outside of that radius.

Hopefully this information saves many of you from the frustration that can come from these home based unlicensed mechanics claiming to "save you hundreds from the big shops"
Attachments
inside line.jpg
Dean Thompson
BlackfootDirect.com
GM/Owner
403-214-2850
dean@blackfootdirect.com

Wangchung
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: BEWARE!! Don't open hood to strangers.

Post by Wangchung »

I sold this guy a parts bikes. He defiantly plays the "poor me act"
Claims that he was Dusty Klatt's mechanic who was let go from Blackfoot after they shut the race team down.
Claims that he was a ex pro mx er.
Claims that he is just trying to make a dollar and that all the big motorcycle shops are trying to shut him down.
He even claimed that Dusty Klatt was at his house the week before our encounter for a BBQ, and claimed that Dusty brought over a new bike for him to set up.

I was very suspicious of him the whole time; only wanted to deal over email and gave me a card with no name or cell number on it.
I didn't get hosed from this guy because I insisted that cash was the only way of payment.

He did bash blackfoot direct a lot and I told him that Dean and the guys treat me great.
I'm really glad Dean posted this clarification.

outrgus
Writer
Writer

Post by outrgus »

Sound like a real piece of work, looks like he has tried to scam more than a few people.
Thanks for the heads up.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

thanks for the heads up. We live in a shady society these days that is somewhat depressing.

For the record, when I do bike work for close friends in exchange for Dairy Queen treats the warranty coverage is only good if you bring more treats with you when you return the bike for additional work

bfdirect
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bfdirect »

I double checked with Dusty if he was meeting in the alley to get some extra power on his race bikes and if I needed to credit the douche bag!
Attachments
image.jpg
Dean Thompson
BlackfootDirect.com
GM/Owner
403-214-2850
dean@blackfootdirect.com

Grimlock
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Grimlock »

Wow. I bought some parts off of him a while back when I was resurrecting an old project I had at the time. Looks like time hasn't treated him all that well at all. It looks like he has lost a considerable amount of weight since the last time I saw him. He seemed like a decent dude with a bit of a B.S. streak.

I am definitely glad I passed on the bike he was trying to sell me when I picked up the parts from him.

okotok
Contributor
Contributor

Post by okotok »

His name came up on the CR500 Riders forum a year or so ago. He had ripped off one of the guys on there with respect to parts sales. A real shady character and someone to stay away from. He also came up on thumper talk http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/101500 ... st-got-me/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grimlock
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Grimlock »

[quote="okotok"]His name came up on the CR500 Riders forum a year or so ago. He had ripped off one of the guys on there with respect to parts sales. A real shady character and someone to stay away from. He also came up on thumper talk http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/101500 ... st-got-me/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

Unbelievable! The deeper I look into all of these past posts, the more I wonder if the stuff I bought was stolen. The KX/XR hybrid (I think it was a DMC?) was in his shop when I was there along with a KX500 engine on a bench he claimed to be stuffing into a KX-F frame. I bought a set of KYB forks and a shock off of him and he tossed in a huge crate of other miscellaneous junk (99% of which wasn't useable and went to the scrap yard). Everything that was useable went with the basket case project when I finally had enough and sold it.

He tried to sell me a late 90's or early 2000's KX250 that he claimed was his old race bike.

Wangchung
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Wangchung »

I forgot something that I found humorous. He created a 06/07 YZ250F with a mid 80's 490 engine and it looked like it was fabbed up by meth headed hillbilly on a tweaking binge (I might be on to something here). Honestly the worst POS that someone could have smashed together. And he offered it to me for the grand total of $9,000....