Winter Riding - Studded Tires! (2010)

Only RMDRA Members may post any type of classified ad. RMDRA Members are free to advertise items and services that don't fit into the other classified categories.

This section is NOT for Dealer transactions even if you are an RMDRA member. Dealer ads should be posted in the RMDRA Advertiser Promotions forum.

If you are not an RMDRA Member, you may reply to any post, but you may NOT start a new post.
Forum rules
Please read the classified ad rules.
No bumping of classified ads or links to auction sites.
crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Winter Riding - Studded Tires! (2010)

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Thinking about riding this winter?!

See this post: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4990 for info about equipment required and tire options for winter riding!
(there is LOTS of info here in last years post, and this makes more sense than re-posting it all)

I've had sevearl sets of Trelleborgs, I've had a set of Michelins. I think the trellies are worth the additional cost over the Michelins. I've found that I can get 2 - 3 seasons out of a set of trellies (riding fairly aggressively, in the rocky conditions we have around here in the foothills and eastern rockies), riding 1-2 times per month from December to April. By the end of the 3rd season the trellies are pretty trashed - the studs themselves are fine, but the knobs are chunking badly and breaking off.

Riding more sheepishly – particularly by avoiding any rocks/rocky areas they’ll probably last you 5 years or more (requires too much discipline for me – I don’t want to forego a ride because there are gonna be rocky sections).

It used to be the only options were the low end screws, or the pre-built trelleborgs.

For people who are "frugal" like me (or even downright cheap like Red Green) - and want the performance of the high end tires, but want to get the full lifespan from their studs/tires there are these studs.

Myself and a few others have been running the BestGrip studs for about 5 years. As of last year, about 20 local guys and about 20 others around the province/rocky mountains are also on them. Feedback is consistently excellent. The guys using them include Brent Kroeker (pro), Marty Halmazna (pro), Shane Cuthbertson (pro), Dirtyboy, BigR, Zeal, etc...

Bestgrip stud
BestGrip1.gif
(3.01 KiB) Downloaded 1632 times

Studs installed (rear)
BestGrip2.jpg
BestGrip2.jpg (48.8 KiB) Viewed 2292 times

Magnetic Installation Bit
Magnetic Installation Bit.jpg

After 1240 miles (on concrete, pavement and snow/ice)
1240 miles.jpg

Cross Section
stud_cross_section_sm.png
(5.5 KiB) Downloaded 1632 times

The studs are very similar in appearance to trelli studs when installed. Because of their screw-anchor design, it is very difficult to tear a stud out, making the tires virtually as durable as trellies. The studs wear as well as the trelli studs – both are tungsten carbide tipped, traction and grip is very close as well. The main difference is these studs can be removed from a tire that is chunking, and installed in a fresh tire.

AND, next year or the following year, and again in a later year, you can have an essentially NEW set of studded tires for only $120. The only cost is for new rubber, because you can spin the studs out of the tire that's falling apart and just screw them into new rubber (these studs are carbide tipped - so they are durable, and RE-USEABLE).

Pricing is $0.92/stud, and $10.50 for the installation tool (+GST). Front tire studs and rear tire studs are NOT the same. Trellies have about 350 studs in the rear, and approx 250 studs in the front. We’ve typically been using about 250 (250-300) studs for a front, and 300 (250-300) in the rear.

Below are the typical costs:
300 rear tire studs ($276)
+ 250 front tire studs ($230)
+ 2 installation bits ($10.50 each)

= $527 + gst = $553.35 (Deposit of $350, or you can pay all at once if it's less hassle for ya, which is also easier for me). Deposits are non-refundable, and purchases are non-returnable (I'm no WalMart!!). Orders must be in multiples of 50.

Last year Bow Cycle was selling these studs for $125 for a bag of 100 studs. If you're interested in this kind of winter tire, you won't pay less than getting them through me.

In my opinion if someone has lots of money to throw around, buy the trellies - but for the rest of us this is the only way to go - similar or better performance, much less cost, way longer useable life.

NOTE that I've been using 2 different variations of these studs:

1. Longer studs - what we used exclusively for the first 3 years - these are best for snow deeper than a few inches, and for ice (these studs are like those in a trelleborg winter friction tire). For the longer studs, we use a different 'long' stud for each of the front and the rear.
*** If someone is wanting to build a rear tire with the maximum number of 'long' studs possible, let me know as we will use the front long studs, in the rear tire as well (allows more studs per knob to be installed)

2. Shorter studs - these protrude from the rubber only about half as far as the 'long' studs. The advantage: the bike rides pretty much like it does on just rubber. I call these my "shoulder season" studs. They are great for when the ground is frozen, and there is some snow and ice - but not consistently deep snow. They are "sketchier" on slippery surfaces than the long studs, but they also slide a little more easily, which can be good if that's what you are wanting your wheels to do! I had a lot of fun on these studs last year - they are fantastic in ruts as they don't try to climb out of them. However, other than for riders with Advanced skill (ie - I don't qualify!), I wouldn't recommend these to be your only set of studded tires! (Kroeker rides these even in the deep snow!)

I may or may not be placing more than one order this year. To be sure you will get studs, place your order with me ASAP. (PM me, or give me a call)

Derek Radomski 403.714.7440

See this post for more info on installation: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5185
Last edited by crazy2wheeler on Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Winter Riding - Studded Tires! (2010)

Post by dirtyboy »

Moved to Members Classified and made it a sticky for 6 months

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

How long do the physical studs last?

And where are you buying a set of tires for $120.00?

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Are the "shoulder season" shorter studs have different sizes for front and rear or are the same size for both? :confused:

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

steve-o wrote:How long do the physical studs last?
I guess it would depend on use. I have some that are 3 years old and the carbide tips no longer have sharp 90 degree corners, but other than the rounding don't appear that worn.
I would expect to get on average, about twice the life from them that I would get from a set of Trellis. If I get more than 2x, then its bonus to me!

steve-o wrote:And where are you buying a set of tires for $120.00?
I used to buy low end tires (Kenda, Cheng Shin, GBC) from local shops for about $120 front/rear.

http://www.gpbikes.com/eshopprod_cat_57 ... _SHARK.htm (Canadian Shop)

See Kenda Trackmaster K760, Duro MX Tires, and Vee MX Tires: http://motovan.com/common/catalog/2010moto_en.html

You can get Kenda 257D's for $40 a tire (decent rear tire). http://www.gpbikes.com/eshopitems_cat_5 ... _Tires.htm

D.
Last edited by crazy2wheeler on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

dirtyboy wrote:Are the "shoulder season" shorter studs have different sizes for front and rear or are the same size for both? :confused:
The "shoulder season" (shorter) studs are the same for the front and rear.

D.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I did a set of Dirt Sharks last year and needed 340 front and about 250 rear..... FYI

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

dirtyboy wrote:I did a set of Dirt Sharks last year and needed 340 front and about 250 rear..... FYI
Dirtshark front = 336 knobs (336 studs)

Dirtshark rear = 240 knobs (I use 270 studs on this tire)

D.

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Just an update:

If you all recall, last year for a number of reasons our stud order did not arrive until after Christmas - the biggest factor is how late the order was placed.

If you are interested, get on it ASAP -If I have enough volume, I will put an order in on October 11th, and will have the studs here to distribute in time for the ADRA Off-Road Banquet on October 23rd in Calgary. I will be making special arrangements for the quick shipping in this case.

If you are not in this early order, again you will be having to wait until there is enough volume to place another order. Keep in mind that if there aren't enough orders to meet the required volume, I won't be bringing them in at all as I'm not going to advance pay for thousands of dollars of inventory.

If you wait until you NEED the studs to ride to make your decision and commit, you'll likely be waiting until after Christmas to be riding on your new studs!

:cheers:

BTW - 3 people have placed orders as of today.

BurntTimber
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by BurntTimber »

I posted a doc on how we did ours on Thumpertalk using carriage bolts for trail/snow riding that you could check out here as well, we got all the tips from an RMDRA member and they work absolutely awesome.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showth ... highlight=

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

BurntTimber wrote:I posted a doc on how we did ours on Thumpertalk using carriage bolts for trail/snow riding that you could check out here as well, we got all the tips from an RMDRA member and they work absolutely awesome.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showth ... highlight=
Those look pretty freekin gnarly! :crazy:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

It looks like those tires could create some serious damage.

Can we keep this thread limited to crazy2wheeler's studs for sale please? Post in the technical section if you want to talk about bolted tires.

Energizer

Post by Energizer »

Hi Derek

I'm on my 2nd set of Trellebogs. The first set lasted 70 rides with little or no mercy on rocks.(probably have another 20- 30 rides in them)

I have about 16 winter riding buddies (good riders age 30 to 50) who are using various studs: Trelleborgs, Ice racing studs, best grip etc.

Some may be interested in best grip through you. I will let them Know.

Last year I got out 28 times on the Trelleborgs, 87 total, but sometimes I couldn't find anyone who was free to ride during the week.

If you know some enthusiasts that enjoy 2-4 hour recreational rides please give them my phone no's and email and ask thm to give me their email and phone numbers.

Lynn Danielson

300 XCW

C 403-813-2014

lynn.sue@shaw.ca

Doyle33

Post by Doyle33 »

Can you say what kind of tires and do you know the type of flats you’ve had?

Bike tire flats are often ‘pinch’ flats, which happen when the tube is pinched between the road surface and the rim. This happens because the tire is underinflated. You can tell if you have a pinch flat by their very characteristic double puncture snakebite appearance.

Wider mountain bike tires seem to be more resistant to pinch flats, and in my experience big knobbies means more rubber to help prevent punctures from broken glass and other sharp road debris.

I absolutely *hate* flats in cold weather — especially in extreme cold. In addition to ensuring I have fully inflated tires, I use tire liners *and* “Slime” type sealant when riding in extreme cold.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Doyle33 wrote:Can you say what kind of tires and do you know the type of flats you’ve had?

Bike tire flats are often ‘pinch’ flats, which happen when the tube is pinched between the road surface and the rim. This happens because the tire is underinflated. You can tell if you have a pinch flat by their very characteristic double puncture snakebite appearance.

Wider mountain bike tires seem to be more resistant to pinch flats, and in my experience big knobbies means more rubber to help prevent punctures from broken glass and other sharp road debris.

I absolutely *hate* flats in cold weather — especially in extreme cold. In addition to ensuring I have fully inflated tires, I use tire liners *and* “Slime” type sealant when riding in extreme cold.
ummm...you may not realize :crazy: but this is not a mountainbike tire discussion. :thinking:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com