Studded Winter Tires

Only RMDRA Members may post any type of classified ad. RMDRA Members are free to advertise items and services that don't fit into the other classified categories.

This section is NOT for Dealer transactions even if you are an RMDRA member. Dealer ads should be posted in the RMDRA Advertiser Promotions forum.

If you are not an RMDRA Member, you may reply to any post, but you may NOT start a new post.
Forum rules
Please read the classified ad rules.
No bumping of classified ads or links to auction sites.
crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Studded Winter Tires

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Thinking about riding this winter?!

Myself and many others in RMDRA ride a lot during the winter. It's a blast - the only additional equipment you should consider are:
1. Heated grips (about $40), and
2. Studded winter tires

Options for tires:

1. Ice screws - least expensive ($200 - $250/set), but they are not that durable, particularly if your wheels wind up seeing anything harder than ice (ie - ROCK - you know how much of that there is)

2. High quality screw-type studs - initially double the cost of option 1, then less expensive than option 1 (about $500/set, then $120/set), but very close in durability and performance to the high end tires.

3. High end purpose built tires - most expensive (Trelleborg - over $1000/set, Michelin - over $900/set). This is the benchmark we use to compare to for performance and durability, and they are the most convenient (requires no work to screw the screws/studs into the tire).

I've got a set of Trelleborgs, I've got a set of Michelins. I think the trellies are worth the additional cost over the Michelins. I've found that I can get 2 - 3 seasons out of a set of trellies (riding fairly aggressively, in the rocky conditions we have around here in the foothills and eastern rockies), riding 1-2 times per month from December to April. By the end of the 3rd season the trellies are pretty trashed - the studs themselves are fine, but the knobs are chunking badly and breaking off.

Riding more sheepishly – particularly by avoiding any rocks/rocky areas they’ll probably last you 5 years or more (requires too much discipline for me – I don’t want to forego a ride because there are gonna be rocky sections).

It used to be the only options were the low end screws, or the high end tires.

For people who are "frugal" like me (or even downright cheap like Red Green) - but still want the performance of the high end tires, there is now the middle choice - Bestgrip studs.

Bestgrip stud
Bestgrip stud
BestGrip1.gif (3.01 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
Studs installed (rear)
Studs installed (rear)
BestGrip2.jpg (48.8 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
Magnetic Installation Bit
Magnetic Installation Bit
After 1240 miles (on concrete, pavement and snow/ice)
After 1240 miles (on concrete, pavement and snow/ice)

The studs are very similar in appearance to trelli studs when installed. Because of their screw-anchor design, it is very difficult to tear a stud out, making the tires virtually as durable as trellies. The studs wear as well as the trelli studs – both are tungsten carbide tipped, traction and grip is very close as well. The main difference is these studs can be removed from a tire that is chunking, and installed in a fresh tire.

AND, next year or the following year, and again in a later year, you can have an essentially NEW set of studded tires for only $120. The only cost is for new rubber, because you can spin the studs out of the tire that's falling apart and just screw them into new rubber (these studs are carbide tipped - so they are durable, and RE-USEABLE).

I will be putting in an order on WEDNESDAY, November 12th.

Pricing is $0.69/stud, and $10 for the installation tool. Front tire studs and rear tire studs are NOT the same. Trellies have about 350 studs in the rear, and approx 250 studs in the front. We’ve typically been using about 250 studs for a front, and 300 in the rear.

I'm taking a 50% deposit from each person. Below are the typical costs:
300 rear tire studs ($207)
+ 250 front tire studs ($172.50)
+ 2 installation bits ($10 each)

= $399.50 + gst = $419.48 (Deposit of $210, or you can pay all at once if it's less hassle for ya, which is also easier for me).

In my opinion if someone has lots of money to throw around, buy the trellies - but for the rest of us this is the only way to go - very similar performance, way less cost, way longer useable life.

PM me your order by this WEDNESDAY (the FIRST day after Remembrance Day)!

Derek Radomski CA 403.714.7440

See the following post if you want more info.
Last edited by crazy2wheeler on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Studded winter tires

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Additional detail - (but probably not in any logical order!)

Manufacturer by Bestgrip in Italy. Website: http://www.best-grip.com/eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other pricing/products:

1. Aerostich - $97usd per 100 studs PLUS shipping, similar stud, but made in Taiwan/China (essentially a lower quality knock-off: check out the images, and they have only ONE model/size [Off Road (9 x 17.4mm) ] ) AND more expensive! http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Sel ... 19555.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. A dealer in Sweden will sell (same product as me) “retail” for 0.40euro/stud – after conversion (about $1.60 for 1 euro) and shipping more expensive than me AND ya gotta buy a minimum of 5000 (thousand). Similar cost - but must buy HUGE volume!

3. WER in the US sells the same product as me, $119usd per 100 studs, minimum 500, plus shipping and brokerage. WAY more expensive!

You have a unique opportunity this year. I'm moving these studs through basically for cost, they are 50% to 100% more through anyone else - because I think they are a good product and I'd like people over here (Alberta & Canada) to know about them.

One of the things I really like about this product is that you can install them yourself (they screw into the knobs of the tire) - you don't need any specialized, expensive equipment, and you DON'T have to predrill the knobs before installing the studs. I like that they can be removed and remounted into a new tire when the tire starts getting a bit beat-up. This way, you can have an essentially new set of tires each season for just the cost of a cheap tire (ie - $40 to $60 for a rear).

The studs are made in and shipped from Italy - they are otherwise not locally available.

There are several rear and front tires that work well in this application (holding the studs, and staying pliable in snowy conditions).

The Bestgrip studs seat into the knob 13.5 to 16.5mm, and after seated protrude from the tire 6.5 to 7mm (depending on front or rear).

The studs themselves aren't the cheapest alternative intially (but still less than half the cost of the trellis).

So, Yep, you are looking at a little over $500 including rubber - but after 3 years when the trelli guys are dumping $1200 again for another set of trellies (***deleted***), you can have a virtually new set of studded tires for only the cost of the rubber ($120).

If you would pass along to me the names of anyone you think should be "in the market" that would be great.

Cheers,
D.
Last edited by crazy2wheeler on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Studded Winter Tires

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Orders received:

Rider Eh!
Zeal
John Bader
Blacksheep (x2)
Mark VFR
Don

Added: Bowtech

Added: BigR

If you have spoken with me and told me you are interested and your name is NOT above, please pm me. (I know that there were a couple other people who said they wanted some, but it was just in conversation or out riding and I've misplaced that information in my brain)

D.

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

K guys and gals - one last day to get your order in to me if you are interested.

I will probably order extra studs so that I have on hand enough to do a couple sets of wheels, but $0.69/stud is a bargain. If you decide later in the season you want some, I will hopefully have some available - but they're gonna cost ya more than $0.69 (probably closer to $0.90/stud).

Cheers!
D.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Moved to RMDRA Members Classified.

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Studs have arrived! (20kg's worth!!)

Everyone who ordered, please contact me so you can come get them (and pay me!!)

I did order some extra supply, so I will have some on hand if anyone else is looking to do up a tire (I have both front and rear).

Cheers! :cheers:

Derek 714-7440

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

I do expect to be at the meeting this evening. The studs are in Calgary, but were not delivered to my house yesterday - I"m hoping they will be today.

For tires, if you have a NEW set of dirtsharks kickin' around, they work well. Otherwise I am suggesting the Kenda Carlsbad Sticky REAR, Milleville Sticky FRONT.

D.

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

As of 7am this morning the package is still waiting to clear customs. Hopefully it will be delivered today...

D.

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

Anyone got any tips on installing these on a dirtshark front? I'm finding it really hard to get them in straight, and they just seem to want to twist the knob up a bunch.
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

Ok got the front done. Took a lot longer then the rear. I found what was best was to hold the top knobs steady with a 1/2" wrench, and the side wall knobs steady with a 5/8" wrench. I just had to be alot more patient than with the rear studs.
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Did you use a Dirt shark rear also? 1 stud for each lug?

Did the stud take a lot of pressure to get to bite?

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

Yes, dirtshark rear 100-100/18. It didn't take too much pressure, I used a 14.4V drill for the whole job. Just have to be careful when you start to make sure it bites in centered. The rear knobs didn't twist bad, just the small ones did a little. The trick is to take it slow and easy.
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Rider Eh! wrote:Ok got the front done. Took a lot longer then the rear. I found what was best was to hold the top knobs steady with a 1/2" wrench, and the side wall knobs steady with a 5/8" wrench. I just had to be alot more patient than with the rear studs.
So, with a ride in on the best-grip studded dirtsharks, how were they? Did they perform similarly to the brand-new trelli's? Comments? Thanks Rider Eh!

D.

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

Yeah no complaints here. Have yet to inspect them to see if I've lost any studs, but I was able to go everywhere the Trelli's were going, including some tough hill climbs, all in 8-10" of snow. I guess time will tell on how well they hold up!
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

studded front and forks

Post by markvfr »

Got half of the front done and yeah, its a little tricky with the twisty knobs. I just held them with pliers but eventually stopped as I got better with centering the bite. Its tricky at first to get them to bite in the center.

On to my question... Last season I've noticed that my seal savers were being eaten by the tire somehow... my wheel bearings seem fine, no play. Could it be tire roll?? So, after I put the studs in (and putting studs in the outside lugs), I've noticed that they will come very close to the forklegs and if my studless tires were rubbing on the fork leg, the studded tire will destroy the forks in no time! Anyone have issues with their studded fronts grazing the forks under high suspension travel conditions/tire roll?

Should I not stud the outside most lugs? I think I'll lose most of cornering that way.

Any input would help.

Thanks.