Studded Winter Tires

Only RMDRA Members may post any type of classified ad. RMDRA Members are free to advertise items and services that don't fit into the other classified categories.

This section is NOT for Dealer transactions even if you are an RMDRA member. Dealer ads should be posted in the RMDRA Advertiser Promotions forum.

If you are not an RMDRA Member, you may reply to any post, but you may NOT start a new post.
Forum rules
Please read the classified ad rules.
No bumping of classified ads or links to auction sites.
markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Re: Studded Winter Tires

Post by markvfr »

Huh, nothing eh? I guess no one else has this issue. Any input on why it might be happening?

Anyone? Bueller?

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

I'll take a shot here Mark, are you sure it's the tires that are eating away the seal savers? I know on my bike the fork gurds were wearing on the seal savers until I put the plastic wear strip back on over top of the seal savers and no more issues. Just a shot -- :confused: WR Dave
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Re: studded front and forks

Post by steve-o »

markvfr wrote:Got half of the front done and yeah, its a little tricky with the twisty knobs. I just held them with pliers but eventually stopped as I got better with centering the bite. Its tricky at first to get them to bite in the center.

On to my question... Last season I've noticed that my seal savers were being eaten by the tire somehow... my wheel bearings seem fine, no play. Could it be tire roll?? So, after I put the studs in (and putting studs in the outside lugs), I've noticed that they will come very close to the forklegs and if my studless tires were rubbing on the fork leg, the studded tire will destroy the forks in no time! Anyone have issues with their studded fronts grazing the forks under high suspension travel conditions/tire roll?

Should I not stud the outside most lugs? I think I'll lose most of cornering that way.

Any input would help.

Thanks.
On your side lugs front and rear you should (if you already didn't) try to put the stud in a little more vertially or straight up and down. I know if I screw a 110 rear tire and put the screws that go into the side lugs square to the knob they will hit the muffler. I don't use savers on the front (cause I think they just trap dirt and grime etc.... but that's a different topic), and hence forth they haven't been hit and given me cause to check and see just how close my screws may be to the forks, but I will now look.

If you screw/stud your tires in this manner you will have better contact for bush riding anyway.

I did a smaller 100/100 for the rear last year where I screwed them square to the knob and after a whole season of use the outside edge rows of screws had little to no wear.

Just my $.02

Good luck

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Post by markvfr »

Excellent, thanks Dave and Steve-o.

Dave, yeah, I made the same mistake and put the savers on top of the plastic fork clip the first time but it still looked like it was worn from tires. Maybe not. I put the plastic ring on top of it this time and I guess I'll test it this weekend. Cheers.

Steve-o, good point on screwing the outside row more vertically. I've got a 100/100 on the rear and it looks like I've got clearance to the pipe so it should be fine. On the front however... I'll do an easy test ride tomorrow and see if I make any contact with the savers/forks. If yes, I'll definitely will try and re-install them more vertically. Good tip.

Have a good weekend kids.

:cheers:

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

I just took a look at mine, and it looks like on the front they may be just barely scratching the fork guards, but no biggie. Not coming anywhere near the forks. Thanks for the plastic clip tip, didn't know you could put it ontop of seal savers!
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R