big horn dam

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
Hamel333
User
User

big horn dam

Post by Hamel333 »

I'm trying to find out whats going on in the Big Horn Dam riding area. The Alberta government is saying the trails are closed because its too "WET". I'm not buying it...there is a fire ban on and a "major"(350 hectors) forest fire burning 35 km's away. I am a responsible rider and I respect the land everywhere I ride but I'm finding this closure a little to far fetched. If any one has any info on the clubs or people I need to talk to please let me know. I would like to get an explanation.Thank you

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: big horn dam

Post by Dobi »

http://srd.alberta.ca/RecreationPublicU ... dates.aspx
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Campi ... story.html

All the info you need is here. I support these spring closures. As much as we try to tread lightly, in the spring conditions you do wind up sinking and causing trail damage. The other message they have here is related to the fish habitat. They feel that any crossings or additional erosion feeding into the creeks and streams can have an impact on the fish eggs.

You will note that the request is being made at the request of the volunteers that maintain the trails. If you don't know who they are, then you probably don't have a good understanding of what it takes to maintain these trails. It is a huge effort.

The firebans are not just a result of conditions, but a result of resources. If everything is out fighting two or three major fires they need to reduce the risk of other fires starting. +80% of fires are started by us humans.....

250mark1
User
User

Re: big horn dam

Post by 250mark1 »

Big horn dam area in always closed from may to July to protect the hard work of the bighorn atv society trail maint
There was no fire ban in the nordegg area ( clearwater county ) before or during may long weekend