Shooting in Mclean

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Shooting in Mclean

Post by WRocks »

As many know, there are a lot of people shooting rifles in McLean. I was out on the weekend and found people are generally very careful about where they shoot and what they have for a backstop (but there's always that 1%) My feelings are mixed, but I have done some research and as long as you are doing it in a safe manner, you are allowed to shoot at McLean. All other regulations, such as not littering, unattended fires etc. apply. The point being is it is legal and there's no stopping it, so we need to make sure trails have warnings and/or are routed away from these areas.

One of the most popular spots is just over Barwell in a SW direction from the South PRA, people are shooting into the trees from the road and has a good 200yd of flat open area.
The obvious problem is the single track trail coming towards them down the same valley. I don't think the trail is designated looking at that the map, but is there none the less.

I will make some warning signs on my plasma cutter and put them back in about 500m, then look for options to reroute the the trail away from the shooting area.
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF
2015 450 SXF with Timbersled MHLT

timbruce
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Shooting in Mclean

Post by timbruce »

Great initiative Aaron, :thumbsup: not a pleasant place to be when there is guys shooting.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Another popular spot is a open area where conops and blaudo drop down onto the 4x4 trail. It's a open area that was used as a open gravel pit, I have seen guys shooting skeet in this area. Talk about land use conflict.
#Z3B

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Shooters face the same issues OHV users do. Few locations available to shoot. Ranges aren't accepting memberships and those that do are downright rediculous in cost or far away.

Sadly, the issue is these guys don't know the trail systems and can't see the trails in many of these locations. That doesn't mean they shouldn't check. It's their responsibility to ensure the area is safe to shoot.

There is the Sibbald Flat shooting range that does have a 100m public range, however you take your life into your own hands going there. Overly busy and people not following proper safe gun handling. Hence why people search out new, quieter, and therefore safer locations FOR THEM. They aren't going that next step to make sure it's safe for others who may be in the area.

Mclean is not a great alternative because of it's density of people and dangerous range of high powered rifles, especially in the hands of those not following safe shooting practices (no backstops, etc)

If you hear gun shots from the south Fisher staging area, I suggest not going west from there. They are shooting in a direction that is not safe for those riding on the ridges and down the two cutlines located there.
Last edited by Shibby! on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

hilux94
Writer
Writer

Post by hilux94 »

I have been known to shoot clays in mclean as well, most people especially out there because it is so public, are safe but accidents do happen.

My feelings on this is it is like being a pedestrian in the city, its a shared responsibility. We all need to be aware of whats going on whether it be with guns or horses or campers or other riders.

I think those signs are a great idea, any way I can help let me know. As a multi-use user (4x4 trucks...guns...dirtbikes..camping...) I probably should do more.
2012 250XC

"If you can't be good, be good at it"

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

hilux94 wrote:I have been known to shoot clays in mclean as well, most people especially out there because it is so public, are safe but accidents do happen.

My feelings on this is it is like being a pedestrian in the city, its a shared responsibility. We all need to be aware of whats going on whether it be with guns or horses or campers or other riders.

I think those signs are a great idea, any way I can help let me know. As a multi-use user (4x4 trucks...guns...dirtbikes..camping...) I probably should do more.
Some of the locations are acceptable for shotguns because of their limited range. Especially with target shot. I know Mclean pretty well and don't think it's safe to shoot rifles. There is one area that is possible but because it's also has directions that are unsafe and a trail that isn't legal (crosses boundary) I still think it's ill advised. With proper backstops and short range it's possible, but I'd never trust everybody to shoot safely.

I shoot rifles and go elsewhere. It's not easy finding a 1000+y range that's safe to shoot.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Shibby! wrote: It's not easy finding a 1000+y range that's safe to shoot.
What are you a sniper. :)

Just to be clear, I really don't have a issue with responsible shooting in McLean. SRD restricts where we can ride, so why not formally designate some sutible areas for shooting ranges with adequate backstops. I agree with hilux, its a shared responsibility, don't assume the other person will stop at the red light.
#Z3B

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

axel99 wrote:
Shibby! wrote: It's not easy finding a 1000+y range that's safe to shoot.
What are you a sniper. :)
Sniper isn't a word our sport endorses. It's considered by some people that you're shooting at people or have those intentions. Like all dirt bikers love ripping up skeg and crossing rivers non-stop...

Precision and long range. Furthest i've hit a target was at 1900yards (1.74kms) ~4.5 seconds flight time. I don't hunt. Strickly targets.

100yard work is just as enjoyable, but many of guys looking to shoot rifles are looking to stretch that distance. I've mentioned to local shooters that Mclean is not the place for this. Too populated, too many trails, and too much risk. There are other areas they can go where it works out better for everybody.

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

Interesting discussion...
I was unaware of the issue regarding the access to suitable ranges for target shooting. I was always of the impression that gun ranges had lots of room for members, appears that is not the case. I guess I can see why, as there are very few areas where you could put one in reasonable proximity to Calgary. So not surprisingly it is expensive to go to a private range.

I agree that Mclean is not well suited for long range shooting and anyone shooting down a cutline should know better (especially if there is no backstop).
Worse come to worse, if you see someone doing it and putting OHV users at risk (and they refuse to stop), take a picture of them and their license plate and report it to the RCMP, there could be repercussions there.

However, my general impression was that those shooting were doing so in a safe manner with a back stop. The issue is with the area I noted that has a treed backstop and what appears to be a non-designated single track trail coming right toward the line of fire. Designated or not, the trail is being used, so think it is important to put up some signage and re-route the trail. I'll post and in forum when things are dry enough to do this work.

It would be nice to see designated area made for range shooting, but unfortunately a pipe dream right now. Who knows, it may take someone getting injured or worse, before changes are made.

I would also make the suggestion for RMDRA' next update version of the trail map, that known shooting areas, be marked, so they can be avoided.
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF

hilux94
Writer
Writer

Post by hilux94 »

WRocks wrote:
I would also make the suggestion for RMDRA' next update version of the trail map, that known shooting areas, be marked, so they can be avoided.

:applause: :applause:
2012 250XC

"If you can't be good, be good at it"

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

Turns out the map is just being updated and provided the info. Assuming the executive agrees, it should be noted on the new version.
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

I'd agree with taking photo's of the people and their license plates, except they seem to throw a towel over their plates! :thinking: Made me think something illegal was going on the first time.

I hope you included the area by the wellsite across the bridge just south of the middle staging area. They have targets there on the other sides of trail heads!
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

Rider Eh! wrote: I hope you included the area by the well site across the bridge just south of the middle staging area. They have targets there on the other sides of trail heads!
I didn't include that, so should be added.
Can you take a snip of the McLean Creek map and mark the points?
Send it to cedric, as he is doing a map update.

Link to map (file is low res, but is be good enough to reference where the points are)
http://srd.alberta.ca/RecreationPublicU ... tions.aspx
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

I sent it to your work e-mail WRocks (caltrex). I don't have cedrics, unless you can PM it?
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

Sorry, but Caltex sold in 2011, so that email is done.
you can attach files to PM's, username is "cedric". I sent my info to him the same way.
Thanks,
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF