Mclean

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Mclean

Post by trailguy »

Primerib72 wrote
" I would assume this will be a joint adventure with the other clubs and their maintenance directors as well? I think this would be a good collaborative project for everyone who wants to have continued access to these areas. "
This is an area of concern. Would be great having others Clubs helping out with this, but we are the only club doing anything in McLean. :crazy: :thumbsdown:

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

cedric wrote:
trailguy wrote:If we can get signs up along with width control at the trail heads stating the fine is $287.00 it will go a long ways. In general if people are given a choice they will usually make the right one.
Is there a fine for tampering with trail infrastructure? So if a guy on a quad decides to winch/chop/circumvent the width controls, does he still just get a $287 fine?
If found damaging property (width controls infrastructure, fences, signage, etc), the offender can and should be charged criminally with mischief, either under or over $5000. So, if you see someone doing damage you can record their plate number, description, etc (the more information, the better). Then bring that information to the RCMP and ask they to follow up with criminal charges. You would have to be committed to testifying to what you witnessed.
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Control points are really our only hope. Winter is the best time to poach it as WE are not allowed there and our control points better make sure that they work during the winter.

EDIT: Thanks for the informative pm Dylan. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Spinalguy on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Thanks Dylan :thumbsup:
Last edited by Spinalguy on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

[

One thing I would like to make crystal is the statement "they bluffed us again in McLean" is completely false, SRD was forthcoming right from the very first meeting I attended with them that as much as they would like to put a single track trail system in for us, they have zero funding and no man power, it was going to be on us if we decided to procceed. Dave, Dobi and Aaron were also at meeting where this was stated to us more then once.Sure they should be helping with the trail system and enforcement, but the fact is their budget was slashed so bad they were forced to layoff all their SRD officers in McLean but one. With the lastest dooms day budget who knows how bad its going to get. The fact is SRD has come through and done everything they said they would do for us in McLean. SRD stated from the beginning width control was an integral part of the success for our singletrack trails, we have no one to blame but are selves.I was in a trail meeting last night with several of the clubs Exec. and I asked the new Exec. if they would look at the width control issue.
This constant bagging on SRD in this critical time for us is just a really bad idea. They are our only allies right now and very good one at that. They are helping us get Access with the SSRP. They issue us season long TFA's to winter ride in McLean. With the big announcement Jamie & Dobi had at the AGM with their new approach to getting us alot more singletrack in the Ghost - SRD is helping them meet that goal. etc, etc.
As far as Indian Graves - I see alot of delusional riders with the mindset of - lets do nothing in the area and will just keep riding their like we always have. As much as I wish this wasn't the case, this option is over, done, finnished. Its very simple, we have two choices 1) do nothing and we are almost guaranteed to loose access. 2) Impliment a sustainable designated trail system so we still have ACCESS to the area. But don't take my word on this, its clearly spelled out in the SSRP booklet and workbook. You can relax on a designated trail system in the Graves. If we have any access in the future it will likely be Eastern trails in the area with mostly fresh cut singletrack, we just need to install width control as we are hanging orange signs.
Last edited by trailguy on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Post by primerib72 »

I don't speak for the masses...only myself but could we somehow leverage that trails that have been infiltrated by quads (cloud nine and others) to ask for a new sustainable trail in its place? There are still plenty of areas in Maclean that could be punch out and we could impliment the pinch points immediately. Even be strategic about it so we could reduce costs show SRD that we are on the ball and looking out for their budgets.

Some of the trails as we all know are pretty bombed out and could be used as a sacrificial cow so to speak for a brand new trail. I think it is a fair trade for the lazy SOB's who like to steal trails rather than build, and as you know all too well Trailguy building them takes a lot of work.

Just a thought.
CR250R

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

primerib72 wrote:I don't speak for the masses...only myself but could we somehow leverage that trails that have been infiltrated by quads (cloud nine and others) to ask for a new sustainable trail in its place? There are still plenty of areas in Maclean that could be punch out and we could impliment the pinch points immediately.

Some of the trails as we all know are pretty bombed out and could be used as a sacrificial cow so to speak for a brand new trail. I think it is a fair trade for the lazy SOB's who like to steal trails rather than build, and as you know all too well Trailguy building them takes a lot of work.

Just a thought.
Great idea and we've already done this. It was SRD's idea we give up some bombed out trail that the Quads were already using and in return we would get new trails. That's how Grizzly, Beer Bong and one other trail were added well after the fact. When Dave and I were in a meeting and they proposed this to us we were in shock as no new trail was to be added for several years until we had the original trails up to NOVACC standards.
One main issue with the Quad's poaching singletrack is they were only able to come up with 6 or 7 trails in the one week in Feb. we had to make our maps. I had 59 trails on there for us and this is an issue.
Tim and I have been working on trail initiatives in Mclean for the next few years and one thing on my hit list is some re-routes with fresh singletrack.

timbruce
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by timbruce »

trailguy wrote:
primerib72 wrote:I don't speak for the masses...only myself but could we somehow leverage that trails that have been infiltrated by quads (cloud nine and others) to ask for a new sustainable trail in its place? There are still plenty of areas in Maclean that could be punch out and we could impliment the pinch points immediately.

Just a thought.
Great idea and we've already done this. It was SRD's idea we give up some bombed out trail that the Quads were already using and in return we would get new trails. That's how Grizzly, Beer Bong and one other trail were added well after the fact. When Dave and I were in a meeting and they proposed this to us we were in shock as no new trail was to be added for several years until we had the original trails up to NOVACC standards.
One main issue with the Quad's poaching singletrack is they were only able to come up with 6 or 7 trails in the one week in Feb. we had to make our maps. I had 59 trails on there for us and this is an issue.
Tim and I have been working on trail initiatives in Mclean for the next few years and one thing on my hit list is some re-routes with fresh singletrack.
:thumbsup:
I am very excited to be a part of this, looking forward to working with our club on the implementation.

gdg530
Writer
Writer

Post by gdg530 »

Thanks Trailguy for all the effort and time you put into our trail systems.I know we have problems getting volunteers for any kind of trail maintenance but we do have go to people myself included that will do whatever it takes to help our trail system.I don't think it sounds very good when people say well SRD isn't helping or other clubs won't help so what are we supposed to do...well what we have to do is take back our trails clear and simple.We have manpower but i also agree to use some of our money to hire out and get things accomplished quicker.This all really sucks i know but things will not be getting any better in the future as far as riding areas are concerned, which we all should know by now,so lets try and protect what we have now.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

gdg530 wrote:Thanks Trailguy for all the effort and time you put into our trail systems.I know we have problems getting volunteers for any kind of trail maintenance but we do have go to people myself included that will do whatever it takes to help our trail system.I don't think it sounds very good when people say well SRD isn't helping or other clubs won't help so what are we supposed to do...well what we have to do is take back our trails clear and simple.We have manpower but i also agree to use some of our money to hire out and get things accomplished quicker.This all really sucks i know but things will not be getting any better in the future as far as riding areas are concerned, which we all should know by now,so lets try and protect what we have now.
Your very welcome. I couldn't agree more with your post.I can shed a little light on the volunteer issue.I've gone to a couple of Exec. meeting lately and can say they are working very hard on new innovative ways to get more volunteers out and also some really cool rewards for them as well. :thumbsup:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Thanks Dylan :thumbsup:
Last edited by Spinalguy on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

golarge
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by golarge »

So how does all the logging that will be going on play into all of this ? Doby posted a while back that in a few years Mclean will be logged out.
Will we be wasteing a lot of time and resources on pinch points, that might not even be a trail when the logging is complete ?
Should we hold off for now with the bomb proof pinch points, make do as best we can, until we know what trails will survive, then hit those quaders with the BIG guns ?
Yup. Got a new one.

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Just a quick note from the exec. We are concerned about this and will be discussing the matter in depth at our next meeting.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

golarge wrote:So how does all the logging that will be going on play into all of this ? Doby posted a while back that in a few years Mclean will be logged out.
Will we be wasteing a lot of time and resources on pinch points, that might not even be a trail when the logging is complete ?
Should we hold off for now with the bomb proof pinch points, make do as best we can, until we know what trails will survive, then hit those quaders with the BIG guns ?
SLS has a long term harvesting plan and we seem to have a good working relation with them so, I suspect Tim will be able to consult with SLS to make sure we are not wasting trail maint resources or proposing new trail in areas that will create a conflict. I am sometimes dilusional :lol:
#Z3B

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

I have been helping designate trails onto a government map since the start of this last campaign, in fact I'm a really big fan of a Fluz as it is our best shield against our real enemies. My point simply is that pick the few trails that will in time be hammered, whooped out by increased use and then the policing goes up as well. I know it is part of the mandate to post up signs to identify trails, but is there not another way of doing this? Somehow make it more subtle so that the trail head doesn't stand out so much. Can the signage and iron gates go a little ways into the forest? What colour do the signs have to be, maybe make wood signs if you have to have signs?
Also, what is so wrong with having so few "dirt bike" only trails? If there are lots of quad trail access points, maybe that's a good thing.