Where to ride?

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
cmurray
Contributor
Contributor

Where to ride?

Post by cmurray »

So as a rookie that just bought a bike a couple months ago, itching to try it out, where can one ride on these weekends that the weather is cooperating?
2009 WR 250 F

Ynot303
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Where to ride?

Post by Ynot303 »

Unless you have studded tires I'm not sure if anywhere is ready yet? Typically Wildrose would be the first to open around here. You can call their hotline for updates.

:cheers:
2024 RMDRA Treasurer - #303

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

cmurray wrote:So as a rookie that just bought a bike a couple months ago, itching to try it out, where can one ride on these weekends that the weather is cooperating?
Lethbridge and Taber tracks are open this weekend.

cmurray
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cmurray »

Thanks for all the suggestions, looks like Wildrose is closed (too wet) so may have to try further afield
2009 WR 250 F

cmurray
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cmurray »

Anybody have experience regarding the Iricanna gravel pit?
2009 WR 250 F

cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cycleworks »

It is closed to the public now (kind of always was), and my understanding is that you will be ticketed with trespassing if you are caught there. It is currently an active gravel pit. It is also unsafe, as there is lots of garbage there. And its ALL gravel at this point (there used to be some dirt sections) which is less than fun to ride in. I would vote no on that one.
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

We used to go out and ride very early in the season at Drumheller. Is that still allowed? I'm itching to ride as well so if anyone has a spot and is heading out, I'd be up for it if you want someone to go with. ...Steve

cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cycleworks »

Im such a buzz kill here, lol.... but no, Drum is closed... (as the guy that has always owned that land has decided to rent it out, the small amount that is owned by the goverment would still be ok, but its VERY minimal, I spoke to him last fall). The other Drum riding spot (right at the bottom of the hill on the way in) has new ownership as well, and vehicles have been towed, as she does not want trespassers of any kind. Honestly, as a person that looks into this thoroughly, you've got Taber track, Lethbridge track, or get some studs, or patiently wait a few weeks and keep your fingers crossed :)
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

Good to know. Thanks, Allison!

cmurray
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cmurray »

Sad to think of all the wide open spaces we have right on our doorstep we have to drive almost 3 hours to get a ride in. :crybaby:
I guess I will hang in for the Blackfoot track to open.
A friend of mine who quads says that McLean is open all year but to quads only, is
that correct?
2009 WR 250 F

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

cmurray wrote:Sad to think of all the wide open spaces we have right on our doorstep we have to drive almost 3 hours to get a ride in. :crybaby:
A friend of mine who quads says that McLean is open all year but to quads only, is
that correct?
Yep, as silly as it sounds McLean is closed to motorcycles for winter riding. I think it opens on May 1st, but I am not sure.
#Z3B

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

cmurray wrote:Sad to think of all the wide open spaces we have right on our doorstep we have to drive almost 3 hours to get a ride in. :crybaby:
that correct?

And that's why it's a good thing you joined RMDRA.

I know I'm being hypocritical but once I get back into riding I'll save my pessos to join up again.

Truly sad we're losing all these great areas. We're already so limited and it's only getting worse.

cmurray
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cmurray »

Yes and apologize for the question re McLean in the winter time, I see the topic is well covered on the website under land advocacy.
2009 WR 250 F

xracer
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by xracer »

A few years ago I rode at Fallen Timber. Temp was not very cold ~-7 but the deep snow caused me (not the KDX 220) to overheat so I looked for somewhere else. Someone built an oval track by the marina on Ghost Lake while others formed a course on the South side of the bridge. That was fun for me since I have some road race and dirt track exp. and crave high speed. It's easy to set up a course: simply follow your own tracks for a few laps. I bought some pylons at Princess Auto to add some discipline to my riding. Studs are required on ice but not on snow.
I sense that you don't have studs so I recommend staging at the Fallen Timber Parking lot. Ripping around the lot will give you some seat time. Once warmed up start to push the trails out. Bring the kids. They can ride or toast hot dogs etc. in the hut.