Waiprous single track booby trap's.

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
MarkyMark
Writer
Writer

Waiprous single track booby trap's.

Post by MarkyMark »

As a long time rider I've finally signed up on this board to hopefully find people to ride with as well as more general information.

Recently on a weekday evening ride in Waiprous one of our friends was lanced by a tree that had been setup on a blind corner going uphill. The tree you could easily see was deliberately setup and did a fair amount of damage to our friend, this is not the first time we have seen this but I just wanted to note that it always seems to appear around this time of year once the hunting season starts.

Has anyone else seen this type of booby traps before? Have you been reporting them to the RCMP/SRC?
I'll do my best to find a map and show the locations of the last couple of spots we have seen them.

Thanks.

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Waiprous single track booby trap's.

Post by Hendrix13 »

That's brutal. If you can, take pics and report to RCMP and SRD.
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Unreal, thanks for posting this, and here is to your buddy getting better.

Like Hendrix said please report this to RCPM/SRD. Use this site to get the info out there, and let the guys with authority handle the freaks that do stuff like this.

:cheers:

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

X2, if you can provide pics and the locations of this negligent and criminal activity to the RCMP and SRD, you would be doing every one that rides that area a favor. Thanks
#Z3B

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

Can you explain, how it was set up. Definitely pics would help. Problem I see with this is, it's a tree and how do prove it just didn't blow over and fall down like that. Unless it's pretty obvious that's it's been propped up and had the end sharpened or something bizarre like that. Hope your buddy is ok

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

not good.

hope your buddy gets well soon

tread lightly on reporting the 'location' if it is other than the legal single track if you know what I mean.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

steve-o wrote:not good.

hope your buddy gets well soon

tread lightly on reporting the 'location' if it is other than the legal single track if you know what I mean.
You are reporting behavior that endangers all forms of trail use. You were riding your mountain bike...right :thinking:
#Z3B

MarkyMark
Writer
Writer

Post by MarkyMark »

MtnBlue wrote:Can you explain, how it was set up. Definitely pics would help. Problem I see with this is, it's a tree and how do prove it just didn't blow over and fall down like that. Unless it's pretty obvious that's it's been propped up and had the end sharpened or something bizarre like that. Hope your buddy is ok
I completely understand your point. It was not sharpened or anything bizarre like that, but it was very clear this was not a 'down' tree.

The older incident that happened the individuals nailed a cross member together to make an almost life threatening injury possible. Darin Bullivant was riding with me that day and jumped off his bike to avoid catching that one in the face!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

That's disgusting to setup a trap like that. What section of Ghost? I would assume that it was in the South Ghost area but could be wrong.

kawasakijockey
Writer
Writer

Post by kawasakijockey »

before everyone goes off half cocked here i know old school hunters that use this technique to see if game are head down specific trails. was this trail an obvious single track trail? could it be confused in the least little way as a game trail? im not saying its a safe practice to use on a single track trail and it should never been set up if its a legit marked track. however if your off trail on a rarely used "mountain bike" trail that hunters also use for tracking game i would perhaps stick closely to marked routes this time of year....

MarkyMark
Writer
Writer

Post by MarkyMark »

Update: I went riding last night and they have a sign on this trail showing that is not for 4x4/bikes/quads so Maybe that is why someone had this there Hunting reasons/bad reasons aside I guess I wasn't suppose to be there.

I'm so bad with knowing the names of places out there, but it is right before the cattle grate and then there is the little bridge over the river (that is now just a massive ice pile) that takes you up onto the ridge.

Guess I can't ride there anymore either....It went up a huge hill and had a great lookout over the valley....sigh.. :crybaby:

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

MarkyMark wrote:Update: I went riding last night and they have a sign on this trail showing that is not for 4x4/bikes/quads so Maybe that is why someone had this there Hunting reasons/bad reasons aside I guess I wasn't suppose to be there.

I'm so bad with knowing the names of places out there, but it is right before the cattle grate and then there is the little bridge over the river (that is now just a massive ice pile) that takes you up onto the ridge.

Guess I can't ride there anymore either....It went up a huge hill and had a great lookout over the valley....sigh.. :crybaby:
All the single track in that area, and much of the quad trails are illegal to ride.

Pick up a map on at the Kiosks and it will all become apparent what is and what isn't legal to ride.

If that maps aren't there (and often they aren't), look on SRD's webpage and download / print the section you want to ride.

As for that trail you speak of, if you stay on the lower shelf I've seen a farmer put up barb wire fence that crosses the trail. They didn't bother to put any flagging or obstacles in the way. It nearly took a friends head off numerous years ago and thankfully he was able to stop JUST in time. The wire was on his chest when he came to a stop.