Johny 2 Ski Doo's

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Johny 2 Ski Doo's

Post by trailguy »

Several riders have mentioned to me they can't find J2S. I re signed it today for the 3rd time. All of the signs at the north & south ends were gone as well as most of the intersection signs along the way. The numbered sign at the south end is gone along with the metal post if there ever was one in that location. The numbered sign at the north end - #512 was moved 100m into the start of the single track, so I moved it back to where the trail starts off the cutline.
J2S is in primo shape right now - Nothing down & it has great flow, this is the best I've seen it in many many years, so this is the time to check it out .
There are still a couple of spots where you need to be looking for signs so I'll provide a few tips to try and get you through smoothly.
- I suggest starting J2S from the south end.
- From the 5 Km staging area head west on the main truck trail until you "T" into the main truck/logging road that runs North/south.I think this intersection no. is 580.
- Turn around & head back toward the 5 Km on the same trail you took there. In 50 M, on your left you will see a single track running through a re claimed logging road & you will see the orange MC sign. This intersection is missing the # sign. This is the start of J2S.
- Cross a very small creek/mudhole, in 50m look for signs on your left along the tree line of the old logging road.These signs are hard to see due to them being very faded getting direct sun light all day.
- Ride for 5 Km, you will cross a pipeline. Pick up the trail on the other side. Go 100m (1st half is in the trees. 2nd half is new growth 7 foot pine trees), when you hit a narrow logging road, turn left. In 50m you will see MC sign on your right. At this point your golden until the end where it T's into a cutline. The MC sign has you turn left on the cutline.
- Follow the cutline all the way to the top of the hill - 1 Km. After you crest the top & start heading downhill you come to a 4 way intersection. If you make a left or right turn here it then has you on the main Priddis truck trail that runs east/west almost from one end of McLean to the other. I like to make a left here and go 1 km to the Priddis XC singletrack trail- its also in very good shape right now.
-Enjoy :canada:
-Disclaimer: I don't ride with a GPS or speedo. All mileage is a wild guess off the top of my head :blush: Should be close though :smirk:

Rod
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Johny 2 Ski Doo's

Post by Rod »

Thanks very much for the write up as well as the work to get it re-signed!

I've been wanting to do this one for a while and never have. Now seems like the perfect opportunity!

Much appreciated!
Rod
'13 KTM 250 xc

clamacious
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by clamacious »

Once you find it it seems laughable that you missed it. Nice little trail; I had the 10 year old go down it on his KX 85 and he got over every log without help but one. A sweet little track that even your wife/girlfriend would like - you could run it south to north and then return to continue on your day.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Rod wrote:Thanks very much for the write up as well as the work to get it re-signed!

I've been wanting to do this one for a while and never have. Now seems like the perfect opportunity!

Much appreciated!
Rod
Rod do we know what the number is we're missing for the intersection of J2S south end & the truck trail ?

Rod
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rod »

trailguy wrote: Rod do we know what the number is we're missing for the intersection of J2S south end & the truck trail ?
I'm not sure about that, but I'll ask Aaron. I'm sure we can figure it out and I'll let you know...
'13 KTM 250 xc

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

Rod wrote:
trailguy wrote: Rod do we know what the number is we're missing for the intersection of J2S south end & the truck trail ?
I'm not sure about that, but I'll ask Aaron. I'm sure we can figure it out and I'll let you know...
I officially don't 'know' what number is missing. But, I can 'guess', at the south end of J2S at the intersection with the truck trail, it looks like the sign post is 574 from the SRD map. But, as this waypoint is accessible by truck or quad, we are not responsible to post it. If anyone wants to post it, however, they are super welcome to do so and I'm happy to add it to our tracking list.

There are no more 'single track access only' waypoint signs to put up but we will initiate an auditing process shortly for those interested. Stay tuned.

Cheers,
Aaron

Zook
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zook »

Nice report. Very informative and very helpful. Thanks, T.G. :thumbsup:
Brendan Nagle
04 DRZ400e
Me and tools have an understanding: If I don't use them, they don't break my stuff.