irricana gravel pits

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
steve250ef

irricana gravel pits

Post by steve250ef »

i saw some stuff about this place in some other posts, so whats the deal with this place? can u just go ride there, and its a little mx track or what.
thanks.

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

The area is owned by CP I think? Nobody seems to take issue with people ridding there? There are some big gravel hills and some have set up some jumps and small tracks. I havent ridden there in awhile. Last time I did they were starting to move the gravel away from the main hill which made ridding some of the loops EXTREMELY DANGEROUS if you were not aware of what had been moved. There was someone that was seriously injured as a result of this last summer. The guys loading the gravel had no issue with me ridding there and simply asked me to move my truck as they were going to lock the gates at 5. Its a pretty cool place to go for a rip, but I dont know what is there or if there have been any changes??? :excuse:

srpiasta
Writer
Writer

Post by srpiasta »

theres a pit just south of calgary also if you know where the weigh scale just south of Calgary on the number 2A west side. Go Dunbow road west come, come to the T intersection and then turn right about 400M Down the road. The sign says Gov'nt land no tresspassing but it seems like they just forgot to take the sign down as we have been going many years there and never had a problem. Had RCMP come in a few times because they see us off the highway but never gave us trouble, I think they just wanted to see us try to hurt ourselves. It's okay for about an hour or too if you dont want to travel to the mountians.

Rob
:cheers: :cheers:
99 RM 250 (For sale)
2000 YZ 80 (Wife's, just started riding)
2003 KX 65 (9 Year old son)
2006 off make of a KTM 50 2stroke(5 Year old son)
10 acre private custom built motocross track built by some friends and me
OH YA, AND REAL GOOD LOCKS AND CHAINS SO DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!

steve250ef

Post by steve250ef »

so is there any jumps or anything at this place in the south or is it just an open area....and any thoughts on what the snow situation is...i need to ride!!!

srpiasta
Writer
Writer

Post by srpiasta »

Yes Jumps and trails If you want some air time then give this place a try let me know if your going this weekend mabye I'll join you.

Rob
99 RM 250 (For sale)

steve250ef

Post by steve250ef »

sweet well i have tomorrow off, so me thinks im goin to ride at this place...so how would i get there coming down mcleod trail out of town?

srpiasta
Writer
Writer

Post by srpiasta »

Yup go Macleod South out of the city till you go by the scale before dunbow road. At Dunbow road turn right then to the T intersection right again and then right about 400 meters down drive into the pit and just ride.

You can see part of the pit from the highway there is a little track on the north side and just west of the highway you'll see a almost a back forth trail if you hit it in 4 or 5th gear you fly off like a ski jump it's a rush

Have fun let me know how it goes.

rob
:cheers:
99 RM 250 (For sale)

Killaz
User
User

Post by Killaz »

MotorEd wrote:Last time I did they were starting to move the gravel away from the main hill which made ridding some of the loops EXTREMELY DANGEROUS if you were not aware of what had been moved. There was someone that was seriously injured as a result of this last summer.
I was out at the Irricana pit yesterday and just wanted to reiterate how dangerous it can be out there. I took a rather innocent little trail up the side of one of the hills, carried a little too much speed through the crest, only to find the hill drop away from me into a 20' cliff. By the time I realized they have removed the other side, I was airborn and falling fast.

I took a pretty nasty spill and tweaked my ankle pretty good. When I came over the crest I thought I was a dead man, but I got pretty lucky and was able to hobble away from this one. I've been riding since I was five years old and have never had a HOLY (I can't type without swearing. The word that I used is one of GC's 7 words that you can not say on television.) moment like that before. My gear saved my ***. I won't be able to walk for a few days, but I consider that getting off easy.

The worst part of the whole deal is that I read this thread (and MotorEds warning) before heading out yesterday. :banghead:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Whoah, Glad you don't have anything broken Killaz.

Thanks for the update. I wasn't sure if they were trying to close it. Was the gate open or locked?

If there is one thing I learned from my MX days, it is to always, ALWAYS putt slowly around the track for a sighting lap before riding it. Now, I'm trying to unlearn that for XC but it works for HS. :banghead:

chucker
Journalist
Journalist

Post by chucker »

I did the same thing years ago at a small track at 22x and macleod tr., we rode there a lot and I got to know it well. Well, one day I unloaded and hit the first tabletop only to find some jackass had dumped a couch on the other side. After casing the old piece of furniture, I rode the rest of the track only to find an old washer and dryer also on the track.

Ride it slow before you ride it fast. :cheers:
Speed kills. Live forever. Ride a Yamaha.

2007 KTM 450 exc
2003 V-Strom 1000
1977 Yamaha XT 500
1973 Honda Z50

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

How does one get to the Irricana Pit???

Glenn
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

sandflyz
User
User

Post by sandflyz »

Take the #9 to Irricana as you are going nort and starting to leave town there is a museum on the west side of the road. Thats where you turn left. Follow that until you come to your first intersection, then turn right. Now you will be going north again. Just head down a few km's and you will start to see a number of gravel pits. On the east side of the road you will see a huge berm. There is an access gate just to the south of it as well as to the north of the berm. The gate on the north end was shut last weekend so i drove in using the south access which is just an old barbwire fence that has been knocked over. If you think your in the right place then you probbly are. I went there last weekend for the first time and diden't find it to hard to locate. If you pass the Southrock pitt (company name)you went to far. turn around.
Last weekend it was to wet but the snow was melting at a pretty good rate. It should be good this weekend. It was a bigger area than i expected and not a bad place to ride. I live in the north east so its that much closer.
I think the name of the museum was something like prarie wind or something. Don't quote me. There is a huge sign you can't miss it.[/list]

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Thanks. I'm in the NE as well and would it probably be a short trip for me for a quick riding fix!

Glenn.
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

bigdaub
User
User

still open?

Post by bigdaub »

Has anyone been to the irricana gravel pits lately? I'm thinkin' of riding there next weekend sometime, but i'm not sure if its still open to bikes - i don't want to trespass or anything. any help would be appreciated!

KanadianIceMan
Journalist
Journalist

Post by KanadianIceMan »

IRRICANA PITS CLOSED

Heard from many other riders around the Airdrie area that they have put a huge dirt pile in front of the entrance, and there are signs saying no tresspassing.

Many still do go in and ride in the back area, however do so at your own risk.
Helmet Cameras! http://hcc.tv/secondgear
CONTACT mitch@secondgearclub.com
SGC PHOTOS Second Gear Club Photo Galleries
05' YZ250 - Pumpkin Eater