Kookanusa

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
Rockhound
User
User

Kookanusa

Post by Rockhound »

We rode Koocanusa on Feb 25 and 26 on rubber tires. It was in excellent overall condition and I would rate it 7/10. There was no snow at all and just a few icy patches that could easily be avoided. Believe it or not, it was dusty. The dunes were beautiful. The steep northern exposures down in the trees were very slippery and still frozen, but anything up on the plateau or down to the south was excellent. No more ice tires for me this season!
Dean
2006 RMDRA Land Advocacy Director
2007 250 XC - Orange Power!

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

Thanks for the update. I'll be heading down there soon :cheers:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Where exactly is this place and where do you stage from? I am getting tired of hammering away at the country roads in my area. :banghead:

MtnBlue let me know if you are heading down there in the near future, with Glenn gone back East for the next month I am hoping that I can get lot's of riding in to make him jealous :devil:

mike

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

Dobi wrote:Where exactly is this place and where do you stage from? I am getting tired of hammering away at the country roads in my area. :banghead:

MtnBlue let me know if you are heading down there in the near future, with Glenn gone back East for the next month I am hoping that I can get lot's of riding in to make him jealous :devil:

mike
Hopefully within the next 2-3 weeks. All depends if we get any snow in the Mtns(doesn't look like it for a week or so :banghead: ) . Trying to scare up a few people to go. Plus need to get bike ready for riding.

Chuck

Kwi-Chang
Writer
Writer

Post by Kwi-Chang »

The best place to stage at Koocanusa is down Dorr Cut Off Rd.
If you take the 93 highway turning off of the #3 and head south a few minutes you will cross a bridge over the Elk River. I think it is the 1st main road on the right after the bridge (there is a information sign at the turn) this is Dorr Cut Off Rd.
Go west on the road for a few minutes and you will join up with Dorr Rd.
Go to the right and a few minutes down the road you will see several trails - stop and stage anywhere around there.

There are miles of trails & old dirt roads in the area to ride on. There is rumor of locals trying to shut down some of the areas however so stay on existing trails. It is a semi-arid area and when a guy on a dirtbike goes off the trails it takes 10's of years before the vegetation grows back enough to cover the damage. This is especially true on the hills.

Kwi

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Thanks a bunch for the directions KwiChang :cheers: