Around Calgary

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
Goalie25

Around Calgary

Post by Goalie25 »

Just wanting to know if anybody can tell me where a good riding spot might be in the Calgary area. I've been to waiprous, McClain and drumheller. I also have been in the rocky mountain house area and loved riding the cut lines and stuff. I find waiprous and McClain too rocky. Anybody with suggestions for some hills and cut lines? Love riding iricana, but just don't think it's worth the trespassing risk... :(

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Around Calgary

Post by dirtyboy »

You have pretty much hit the Calgary riding areas. We live beside the Rocky Mountains so rocks are what you find.

5 hours north there is some nice sandy areas but otherwise it is rocky, rooty and has blow down unless someone has cleaned it up.

Ferrari
User
User

Post by Ferrari »

You may want to try Fallen Timber Ridge area. It's about 1 3/4 hours drive from Calgary. I head North on hwy 22, go 5km past Cremona, turn left at Shell Gas Plant sign , drive about 20 minutes until you arrive at the gas plant. From there you turn right onto the forestry road. No cell coverage past this point. I usually drive about 9km on the forestry road and unload near the river. That seems to be the hub to ride from. Always have had fun with the family out there. All levels of riding there except the really extreme stuff.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Koocanusa can be sweet.

There are some better loamier and shaly sections in Maclean. Join the RMDRA and come out on a guided ride and we'll show em to you. :smirk: Still rocky assed in between tho. :lol:

A lot of dealing with the rocks is tire pressure, suspension tuning, and being able to hold some momentum. Stuff I hated last year, I merely dislike this year. Haha!

Goalie25

Post by Goalie25 »

Thx for everybody's input.

Oldmotocrosser
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Oldmotocrosser »

If you go to the south end of Maclean Creek, it is much less rocky. Keep in mind this is a huge area.

Check out the map on this weeks Guided Ride and it will show the other areas.

Cheers,

Oldmotocrosser.

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Oldmotocrosser wrote:If you go to the south end of Maclean Creek, it is much less rocky.
Huh??? Barwell is in the south and it's the rockiest place in Mclean. If you want to avoid rocks, the east side is where you should go.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

350scott wrote:
Oldmotocrosser wrote:If you go to the south end of Maclean Creek, it is much less rocky.
Huh??? Barwell is in the south and it's the rockiest place in Mclean. If you want to avoid rocks, the east side is where you should go.
This is really close to the south border of McLean...

https://vimeo.com/44267169
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

Ferrari
User
User

Post by Ferrari »

Excellent video. Just about got to Moon Rock yesterday but ran out of time. Rode Barwell Ridge and 1st Ridge for the first time. It was a blast! We'll be exploring Moon Rock next time out.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Awesome video GiantJoe. You kept looking over the edge and looking up and I kept saying, look where you want to go, don't go there. :D