Porcupine Hills

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Porcupine Hills

Post by dirtyboy »

Don't go to Porcupine Hills without proper equipment, the SRD officers are out there checking motorocycles for:
  • License plate attached to the motorcycle.
    Registration and Insurance carried by the operator.
    Head light and tail light attached to the motorcyle.
    Spark arrestor installed.
The officer said that their mandate from Edmonton was to enforce these rules all year.

Get legal or you'll get fined.

Good riding though. :banana:

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

Where do you ride at Porcupine Hills?, I was told that it was closed so we never went that way. Any directions would be appreciated, Thanks----WR Dave.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

We staged at Beaver Creek Campground. It's open for now but this is one area that is in jeopardy. :mad:

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

Can't believe they were out there this early in the season. I've never ridden there. How does it compare to Hunter Valley/Fallen Timber?

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I've only ridden Fallen Timber a little bit (where the Extreme XC was last year). I think Porkys is a special place. The hills are farther from the mountains there so it is a little less intense than what I saw at Fallen Timber.

The dirt gets really slippery and there are lots of roots to take to you down. It's hard to explain but I guess it depends on the guide. We did a 40km loop before we were back to the truck to call it done.

What is Hunter Valley like?

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

I ride mostly the single track that has been used in the races up there. Lots of challenging riding, some big hills, swampy areas, lots of techincal riding. It's my favourite. I know the area fairly well(there is still lots that I haven't ridden). I like to make big loops sometimes starting at the Transalta rd/Bar C up through Waiparous(gas stop there) and continue on to Hunter Valley/Fallen Timber. We did a 10hr 200km ride last year.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

:eek: :eek: A 200km loop wow! That's long. I bet you could get a show on Life Network with that ride ;)

I'd like to ride more of that terrain this summer. We like the single track also. :cheers:

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

Fallen Timber, Hunter Valley is the same area. The same place we rode last fall Dirtboy. How was Porky's, muddy or dry?

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Porkys was mostly dry. The wet stuff was frozen. There was some minor dust on some of the worn in trails in the trees.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Someone mentioned on the phone to me that it isn't obvious the type of tires that are required for Porkys right now.

As of February 26 winter tires are required to ride at Porkys. Screws or studs will do it. :cheers:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Hey Dirtyboy, are they still letting you get away with the battery powered headlights and tailights from the mountain bikes? I am really don't want to have to buy a new bike just to ride in the forestry :banghead:

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Dobi (Is that you, Mike?), You can buy me an new bike and you can use mine? I have head and taillight and I have a very pretty sprocket on there and it's brand new!

Glenn.
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Dobi wrote:Hey Dirtyboy, are they still letting you get away with the battery powered headlights and tailights from the mountain bikes? I am really don't want to have to buy a new bike just to ride in the forestry :banghead:
The guys were getting away with the battery powered headlight that attachs to the handlebars, however the guys I was with had the tailight on their pack. That didn't cut it since it wasn't attached to the bike.

I think it might depend on the SRD officer.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Dakota_c69 wrote:Dobi (Is that you, Mike?), You can buy me an new bike and you can use mine? I have head and taillight and I have a very pretty sprocket on there and it's brand new!

Glenn.
Why don't we trade both of ours in on some new 300EXC's. Perhaps we could get a deal on two. :D

Besides, I know who put yours back together and questions it's reliability now :devil: :devil:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Winter tires still required at Porkys, but the snow is melting. I only got stuck in the snow twice today.

Lot's of dust but I found many areas that look like good traction dirt but as soon as you spin your tire, it's glare ice. Even with studs on you are stuck or slide out. :cripple:

But all in all a great ride. :banana: