Anywhere close to Calgary where I won't need studs?

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Anywhere close to Calgary where I won't need studs?

Post by cerealkiller »

A friend and I are thinking of heading out on Wednesday to do a little biking. Is there anywhere where the snow isn't so deep right now?

So far the forecast says it'll be 14 degrees in Calgary. It's starting to feel like spring!

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Anywhere close to Calgary where I won't need studs?

Post by malcolmzilla »

I'd reckon studs for a couple more weeks at least in the majority of Waiparous. Truck trails may clear sooner, but again anything in the shade will be sketchy, especially the wonderful mud on ice spring snot you encounter mid corner... Not worth having a wreck - hit the track or gravel pits?

Personally after a weekend at kook, I am over the studs for this year, in the end I came to enjoy winter riding and learned a TON, but rubber on dirt sand or even rock is golden.

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

That's too bad. I've never ridden at Waiparous and I was hoping to check it out. I would just go the MX track, but my friend will be on a racing quad and it isn't permitted. I was reading that thread about the irricana gravel pit, but it sounds like many people are suggesting it's closed now.

hilux94
Writer
Writer

Post by hilux94 »

if you go to the gravel pit. be extra careful. it can be a major hazard!!

the track is a safe bet minus the lack of atving... koocanusa is worth the drive this time of year!!
2012 250XC

"If you can't be good, be good at it"

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Ended up going to Waiparous. I was planning to go to the Irricana gravel pit, but my buddy was dead set on some real off-roading. Worked out great. :D

Not that it's relevant after last night's dump... but there were plenty of clear patches. Most of the wide open areas were free of snow and parts of the trails were ridable without studs. Since it was so warm, lots of the icy and snow-covered sections were navigable with prudent throttle control. It evened-out the speed difference between my bike and my friend's quad, since I had to slow down for ice to avoid death and he could tear through it with more confidence.

I met a fellow out there who offered to show me some of the single track runs through the trees. Started out pretty cool, but after losing momentum on an uphill, I discovered that under the spongy 2-3 inches of topsoil the ground is still quite frozen. I was better off sticking to the areas that got lots of sun. That guy's studded KTM looked to be the better choice.

So... if you haven't got studded tires, Waiparous had enough clear spots to keep it entertaining, but I won't make any promises after yesterday's snowstorm.

JasonP
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by JasonP »

Any updates on either McLean or Waiprouss? I just go back to town and am jonesing quite badly to take the bike out. I am thinking of riding Sunday so if anyone went today or goes tomorrow please let us know how it was. Thank you kindly. :thumbsup:
2010 Suzuki RMX450Z "Suzy"

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

JasonP wrote:Any updates on either McLean or Waiprouss? I just go back to town and am jonesing quite badly to take the bike out. I am thinking of riding Sunday so if anyone went today or goes tomorrow please let us know how it was. Thank you kindly. :thumbsup:
Maclean does not open to bikes until May 1st.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

JasonP
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by JasonP »

Spinalguy wrote:
JasonP wrote:Any updates on either McLean or Waiprouss? I just go back to town and am jonesing quite badly to take the bike out. I am thinking of riding Sunday so if anyone went today or goes tomorrow please let us know how it was. Thank you kindly. :thumbsup:
Maclean does not open to bikes until May 1st.
Doh! :bonk:

brentg
Writer
Writer

Post by brentg »

A friend of mine in Water Valley told me today that the trails are in good condition out Waiparous way. Snows gone, ground doesn’t seem frozen, and it is dry. :thumbsup: We are going to go out this Saturday and see what we can do. I’ll post a report when we are done. If anybody heads out before the weekend it would be nice to know what you find.
When life throws you a curve... lean into it, pick your line, and keep your weight on the outside peg.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W

brentg
Writer
Writer

Post by brentg »

I should mention that we are planning to park at Fallen Timber at about noon and ride from there. If anyone is interested in joining us look for a red Dodge Ram and a couple of Huskys. We will park on the west side near the bridge.
When life throws you a curve... lean into it, pick your line, and keep your weight on the outside peg.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Here is some video shot last Friday just East of Fallen timber camp ground. It's been warm since then but I think I saw some snow on the trails :smirk:

What day are you heading out?
Last edited by axel99 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
#Z3B

brentg
Writer
Writer

Post by brentg »

Some snow! This plan might need a re-think. :thinking: I was planning to go Saturday but I may have to plan to go elsewhere.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W

JasonP
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by JasonP »

bcrowe's video in the "video shorties" thread has renewed hope that waiprous just might be ridable soon. I imagine if you stick to the lower altitudes and more open areas like the wider quad trails things wil be alot less snowy. I just have the most overwhelming need to ride. I get butterflys in my stomach and start giggling whenever i think about hitting the trails in the hills. My wife thinks i'm crazy.

brentg
Writer
Writer

Post by brentg »

I did end up going on a short ride on Saturday. We didn't get out until about 3:30 and then rode until 7:30. The weather was perfect but, as expected, conditions were pretty sketchy. Any lower elevations or north facing slopes still had a fair bit of snow and ice so we had to be pretty aware of where we were going and there was a lot of turning around and going back down the same trails. Higher tracks and south facing hills were surprisingly good riding. No mud and no spinning. We even made dust in a couple of spots. I don't know trail names, but we were on the marked trail on the top of the hill north of the parking area by the river. The climbs in and out were dry and most of the trails were as well. There were a few spots with ice on the trail, but it was all easily rideable. Pretty good view of the area from the top by the rope swing and there was still quite a bit of snow on the south side of the road, so we didn't go there. There is a lot of blowdown up top and the trails need a little TLC, but nothing too serious. Overall, conditions were great for this early in the season and I suspect that the whole area should be rideable in a week or two.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W

smitty76

Post by smitty76 »

Has anyone been to Mclean Creek yet?