Moose Ride Saturday September 24

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Moose Ride Saturday September 24

Post by dirtyboy »

I wanted to do a good ride this weekend but everyone I talked to wanted to ride but had no plans. I don't know any other trails in the Waiparous area for mapping, other than the ones that I mapped already so mapping is out. So if you want to join our ride you are welcome to join in our group ride. :banana: :banana:

We will be doing the Junior Moose XC loop (31km rides like 40) from a few years ago (SE of FT Campground) and Junior Moose XC Loop (25km rides like 40) from 2005 (NW of the FT Campground). See picture for loops. If you haven't ridden these loops before they are technical single track with some cutline connectors to make the loop.

If we have more than 6 riders present :applause: , we will have to split into separate groups. I will be using my Garmin GPS to keep us on the trail. If anyone else coming can download the GPS maps into their GPS and use it on Saturday then PM me and you will automatically be the navigator for a group if we get lot's of riders.

Stage at the foot bridge on the South side of the river right off the Forestry Trunk Road near the Fallen Timber Campground. Saturday at 10:00AM ready to ride at 10:30AM.

To ride in the area you need insurance, registration (license plate), working headlight and taillight, and spark arrestor. Officials have been ticketing in the area this summer. I'd rather warn you in advance.

Legal Disclaimer: Ride at your own risk. RMDRA and I are not responsible for anything that may happen.

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Waiprous - Time

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Thanks for the open invite! How long does this ride normally take you? (ie. hours)
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

bikesinmud
User
User

Post by bikesinmud »

I'll be there! But how do I get to the Fallen timber Campground??

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Waiprous - Time

Post by dirtyboy »

crazy2wheeler wrote:Thanks for the open invite! How long does this ride normally take you? (ie. hours)
At race pace the 2 loops might take 2 - 2.5 hrs. The more riders that come the slower it will be.

I've only ridden the SW loop 1 time in April and it had snow over a good portion of it. Check here for a photo of what happened at the 90% mark in the loop last time I went there. http://www.rockymountaindirtriders.com/ ... .php?t=369

I'm hoping to finish the loop this time. :D

I don't like to stop a lot on the ride but I do try to keep everyone together for safety. If we are done by 3 or 4 pm that would be great.

:cheers:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

bikesinmud wrote:I'll be there! But how do I get to the Fallen timber Campground??
If was coming from Wetaskiwin I'd head South on the 2 to Carstairs. Take the 580 West to the 22. South on 22 to the 579 (to WaterValley). West on the 579 to the forestry trunk road (sometimes called 40 or 940). North on 40.

On the GPS map I posted it looks like the 40 stops at the 579 but it continues North all the way to Hinton.

It is only 5km North on the 40. When you see a bridge, turn left and go down to the river on the left side. That's where we will stage. The Fallen Timber Campground is across the bridge on your right side.

Looking forward to Saturday. BigR is meeting us there also. :banana:

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Car pool?

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Anyone interested in sharing a ride from Calgary to Fallen Timber? I could drive and take one or 2 people with me, or, I would be happy to ride with someone else and contribute to the gas tank!

We'd arrange a convenient meeting place. Warning tho! You might not like my trailer - but in 20 years never lost one! lol! (a bike, that is)

Derek :banana:

derek.radomski@investorsgroup.com
301-7440
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

bikesinmud
User
User

Post by bikesinmud »

Is that on the Hunter Valley road? If so, I've been there many times but havn't been there this year yet.
Last edited by bikesinmud on Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

bikesinmud wrote:It is only 5km North on the 40. When you see a bridge, turn left and go down to the river on the left side. That's where we will stage. The Fallen Timber Campground is across the bridge on your right side.

Is that on the Hunter Valley road? If so, I've been there many times but havn't been there this year yet.
Yeah. At Hunter Valley road turn left and then right again to go down to the river. That's where we'll be. :D

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I'm a bit sore from yesterdays ride because of all the blow down. The loop that is SE of the campground looks a tornado went through there. There is still good riding but you can't make it all the way around (as far as we could see). There is lot's of blow down here and there but there is a major cutline that is impassible due to 100 meters of downed trees. There are just a few left standing.

The last sign that we saw before the blow down was Chubby Trail. Old school, Calaway Park and Betty Big Bush where all good riding. Especially Old School, what a fun trail. :D

BigR
Writer
Writer

Post by BigR »

Great ride yesterday, good pratice for log crossing :crazy:( 31 km rode more like 80 :cool: ) Some spots were downright nasty,of course Dirtyboy showed his log jumping skills again! Some snow but the traction was good. The spot with the bad blowdown was really something, looks like it would take some time with a good chainsaw to get a path cut through, no way around that we could see.