Porcupine Hills?

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Porcupine Hills?

Post by WR_Dave »

A friend of mine says that we should go ride down at Porcupine Hills, but I was always under the impression it was closed so I never went there. Anyway is the riding good(single Track?), can you make a day of it?( 50-60 km), and where do you unload and where do you go from there? Any info would be great, thanks guys. WR Dave. :excuse:
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Lot's of great riding there. Go past the forest boundry and stage at the BeaverCreek Campground. There are good loops on both sides of the road.

madhatter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by madhatter »

Porky's is awesome!! :banana:
Used to spend alot of time there but last 3 years have been pretty slow.
Staging at Beaver Creek Campground there are lots of different loops to run,all pretty much singletrack!!
For the most part it is pretty fast riding,alot of the loops are old racing loops.

When I actually rode alot we would go on day rides from the Hat,leave @ 6ish,get there and be riding by 10.We usually did a couple of loops a day/2-3 hours apiece,depending on the loops.

Spud got to spend some time out there this summer so he's know how it's been out there!!

I've got a fair bit of time off(Sept 6-15) and would love to meet some guys out there but I would'nt make a very good guide,it's been to long not being there!!!
Believe me you would'nt be disappointed with the riding there!!! :D :D
2009 KTM 530EXC

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

I'd love to ride Porky's...not sure when I;d get a chance though..

Glenn.
_______
Glenn.
2024 KTM 300 XC-W
2018 KTM 250 XC
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

I have some riding buddies from Wpg. coming out on the long weekend. Maybe a day out there would be nice. I will be taking them to Maclean for one or two days for sure. I have only raced Porkies but there are some great trails unless its muddy then its not much fun.
Claude

madhatter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by madhatter »

There is usually a bunch of guys from the Hat camped out @ Porky's @ Beaver Creek Campground on the long weekend,pretty much every long weekend from May on.
As has been the case I can't get there on the long weekend,after that though is good!!
2009 KTM 530EXC

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

I'm not finding Beavercreek campground anywhere, how much farther down from the Indian Graves turnoff is this area? I don't get down that way very much so I need a little help. WR Dave. :blush: :excuse:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

Thanks Tom, hopefully this weather #$%^s off soon. WR Dave.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

WR_Dave wrote:I'm not finding Beavercreek campground anywhere, how much farther down from the Indian Graves turnoff is this area? I don't get down that way very much so I need a little help. WR Dave. :blush: :excuse:
Go south on the #2. Turn West almost at Fort McLeod on the Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump road but go past there. After the road turns to gravel there is a right turn (about the 4 one) that says to Beaver Creek Road (sign looks like a city street sign). Take that road down into the hills past the forestry reserve sign (about 20km). Beaver Creek Campground sign on right.

madhatter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by madhatter »

Most road maps will show a green triangle in the S.E. corner of Porky's.
That is Beaver Creek Campground. :D :D
Like Dirtyboy says ya go by Head Smashed In,the road turns to gravel,you will get to what is a fairly long and steep hill,once you crest the hill the right turn is there,then ya take a quick left ta get on the road to Porky's.(the sign is there too)
You will drive by an old community hall,do a bunch of twisty stuff and work your way to crown land.
Calling Beaver Creek a campground is a stretch,there are a couple old shitters there and that's about it!! :blush:
2009 KTM 530EXC

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

madhatter wrote:Calling Beaver Creek a campground is a stretch

You got it ! :D