Wednesday night Hare Scrambles

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Wednesday night Hare Scrambles

Post by dirtyboy »

I've heard a few people mention the Wed night HS at McLean. I never attended any of these to know what they were like so I may be talking crazy :crazy: .

If anyone, or a group would like to organize this I think that would be great. I'd like to attend. The RMDRA guys that used to organize this are pretty busy with the club and GAMP stuff these days so I doubt that they will do it.

I think the course was flagged with plastic ribbon that is available from Home Depot and I heard that they had clipboard that each person marked when they did a lap.

Any ideas?

BigD
Writer
Writer

Post by BigD »

I would be in for that, me and a couple guys have been going out wednesday and or thursday.

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

I'd be interested in doing a late afternoon / evening ride on a regular basis... particularly at Mclean because it's pretty close. You guys stage at the north end?
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

crazy2wheeler wrote:I'd be interested in doing a late afternoon / evening ride on a regular basis... particularly at Mclean because it's pretty close. You guys stage at the north end?
Usually in the middle or south side.

knuckle
Writer
Writer

Post by knuckle »

The times that I attended were casual, no clipboard etc. Just a nice evening ride on a defined loop. The most important thing was to make sure everyone was riding in the same direction. I almost clipped a KDX last year going the "worng" way. Believe me headlights in the waning evening hours are a plus! Another reason to ride orange, they stick out like a sore thumb. :cheers:
04 KTM300 EX/C.
04 KTM525 EX/C. gone!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Well it sounds like there are lot's of willing riders but will anyone volunteer to flag the loop?

Perhaps a sign indicating direction?

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Flagging...

Post by crazy2wheeler »

I believe I need all the time in the saddle I can get - to try and relearn some skills! I'd be willing to help out with that task.. although I'm not sure how well I remember any good routes, so I'd probably need to have a guide!
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

Andy
User
User

Post by Andy »

McLean on wednesday evening, probably out of the middle parking lot or fischer creek (south). Anyone in.
ANDY

*~'08 300 EXC~*
Vet Junior #11

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Let's get this party started :D

Post by dirtyboy »

It seems like there is some definite interest in the defined loop and ride on Wednesday nights. How about Wednesday, May 25 at the middle parking lot at 6:00-6:30pm to start?

Does anyone know the Scrambles loop from last year? I haven't ridden it but I heard that part of that loop has been clear cut. Could we find our way through there and continue the loop?

I think our loop needs to hardened trail that stays out of the low lying mud areas.

If we could get the loop defined this week, then perhaps we could flag it in the weeks to come.

I feel a couple/three good months of Wed night rides coming up :banana: :banana: :banana:

Please post if you have any ideas or if you plan to come out on Wednesday to determine interest level. I don't want to be the only rider out there.
Last edited by dirtyboy on Tue May 24, 2005 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

pending approval from the war dept. would be in on the 15th,22nd 29th of june. Great idea

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I got a tour of the loop on Wednesday. It was a really nice loop before the loggers took out a bunch of the hills. It still isn't too bad, however there needs to be 1/2 dozen large impassible trees cut and moved in various places. Either we need a saw, or we need Rooster to help re-route the loop around the clear cut.

Nice loop....

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Just so Iam clear, turn left at the pond and go in about 3 or 4 km and there is a grassy area on the left with an old road with a few kelly dikes on it?

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

thirtyseven wrote:Just so Iam clear, turn left at the pond and go in about 3 or 4 km and there is a grassy area on the left with an old road with a few kelly dikes on it?
At the Maclean Camping Center turn left on the gravel road. Follow the road 5kms and the staging area is on your left side. You can not miss it. It is the first major opening in the forest on your LEFT side.

Tom
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

tokenboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by tokenboy »

I was out at McLean on Sunday with some guys and we ended up finding what must be a hair-scramble/enduro track through some woods. I think it must have been in the south portion of the riding area and we took a left off the main trail to a smaller sidetrack and ended up in some extremely tight woods. The trail was marked with white ribbons. For me (new to the off road stuff) it was quite the experience. I was glad I had my barkbusters as I noticed a lot of busted bark on the incredibly narrow trail. Way fun, but all 1st gear for a n00b like me.

knuckle
Writer
Writer

Post by knuckle »

tokenboy wrote:I was out at McLean on Sunday with some guys and we ended up finding what must be a hair-scramble/enduro track through some woods. I think it must have been in the south portion of the riding area and we took a left off the main trail to a smaller sidetrack and ended up in some extremely tight woods. The trail was marked with white ribbons. For me (new to the off road stuff) it was quite the experience. I was glad I had my barkbusters as I noticed a lot of busted bark on the incredibly narrow trail. Way fun, but all 1st gear for a n00b like me.
White ribbons are not HS loops, they are/were placed to alert the loggers of a trail, and to try to preserve. Typically you will find these ribbons in areas designated as cut blocks.
04 KTM300 EX/C.
04 KTM525 EX/C. gone!