How is Maclean Creek?

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

How is Maclean Creek?

Post by MtnBlue »

Anybody head out there this past weekend?

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i was there with 4 wheels yeterday.
Maclean is STILL a winter wonderland. There is lots of snow on the higher cutlines. Ice is prevalent throughout the area. i will stay down in Indian Graves for a while before i ride at Maclean. The singletracks that i love are all under deep snow and ice. Very little quality riding can be done at Maclean. i think if you were studded than you would enjoy the day more at Maclean. i saw Bikes but it did not look like a lot of fun.
Tom
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Sunday was a bit of a gong show. I have never seen that many 4X4 trucks out at once!!!!! Some tough riding in the shaded single track with a fair amount of snow.

Overall it was pretty good....still lots of trails in great shape with little to no snow.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

MotorEd wrote:Sunday was a bit of a gong show. I have never seen that many 4X4 trucks out at once!!!!! Some tough riding in the shaded single track with a fair amount of snow.

Overall it was pretty good....still lots of trails in great shape with little to no snow.
Yes....opening day for bikes and 4x4's. We saw 2 groups of riders. We try to stop and pull over to let all riders by us. Unfortunately, not every driver is as educated to letting riders pass, safely. The other group pulled over and let us pass. We always wave a hello to all riders and quads.
Picture what Maclean will be like with 95% of truck trails closed and 95% of bike trails colsed in Waiporous next season. Maclaen will truly be a gong show for everyone!

Did you do any singletrack? Was it doable....enjoyable?

Thanks
Tom
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Hey Tom, no slam on the 4X4 guys...sorry if it came off as such. Just a statement....never seen that many out before. All groups let us pass through with a wave. All good.

The single track for the most part was greasy...it was hard to complet some of the favorite loops...and had to make some detours....but we managed a pretty decent day of it.

I would imagine indian has some good snow as well....they cancelled the race for last weekend that was near the Chain Lakes area.

Not much for the 4 wheeling stuff....but we will have to get out for a ride on the dirt saw sometime! :cheers:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

The internet is a tough thing. i absolutely did not think in anyway you were commenting negatively regarding 4x4's :applause:
Certainly no offense taken, after all this is a bike site, not a 4x4 site.

i would love to ride with you soon. Do you do Indian Graves? i also noticed that IG was no snow a week ago, so the new snow will melt quickly. Probablly in time for a ride next Sat aft or Sunday.
Maclaen will be better too.
Tom :cheers:

Andy
User
User

Post by Andy »

Maclean on wednesday evening, out of the north parking and try and scramble up one of the ridges.I can be there as early as 4.30pm if needed. Anyone interesed.
ANDY

*~'08 300 EXC~*
Vet Junior #11

knuckle
Writer
Writer

Post by knuckle »

I may be able to make Wed. I am waiting on my fork rebuild/revalve, tough to ride w/o forks . If I don't ride Wed then we will be planning a Maclean ride on Saturday morning. Are they doing the Wed night HS this year out of the middle lot? Maclean was fine on Sunday, a little snow, some frozen but all in all traction was fine.
04 KTM300 EX/C.
04 KTM525 EX/C. gone!

Andy
User
User

Post by Andy »

Sounds good, if you get your bike fixed. I get home from work about 3.00pm so I'll check the forum then, let me know if your good to go and what time you can get there.
ANDY

*~'08 300 EXC~*
Vet Junior #11

knuckle
Writer
Writer

Post by knuckle »

I am a no-go today as I didn't pick up my forks yesterday. I did get my new tire on though. I will reassemble tomorrow and will be ready for Saturday. I am riding with Jayson (the guy you sold your PW50 to) and a few others.
04 KTM300 EX/C.
04 KTM525 EX/C. gone!

knuckle
Writer
Writer

Post by knuckle »

Andy the weather looks like it is going to close down on Saturday. We are looking at perhaps going Friday instead. How does this look?
04 KTM300 EX/C.
04 KTM525 EX/C. gone!

Andy
User
User

Post by Andy »

knuckle wrote:Andy the weather looks like it is going to close down on Saturday. We are looking at perhaps going Friday instead. How does this look?
I'd love to go on friday, but unfortunately I have to work. I did make it out on wednesday night as planned out of the north. I think that Mclean must have gotten some warm weather since the weekend as I rode up to Quirk ridge through the single track that run's through the forest without any trouble at all. When I got to the tee junction I went left carried on up again, I did eventually get stopped by a snow drift about 200 metres from the top of Quirk ridge at about altiude 1750 metres. Honestly though it was good riding and mostly dry, on the way down I took the steeper ridge trail and did have to bush wack for about 200 metres because of snow. If you know this trail you'll know that I was going clockwise.

I'm scheduled to go trail mapping at fallen timber on saturday with Dirtyboy and Cladoo, I'll confirm this tonight and let you know tommorrow just in case you do ride on saterday.
Last edited by Andy on Fri May 06, 2005 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ANDY

*~'08 300 EXC~*
Vet Junior #11

knuckle
Writer
Writer

Post by knuckle »

We are going Friday 9:30 at the midddle parking lot (halfway down the gravel road). We will probably be riding east of the road but who knows where we will end up. Forget work and call in sick, the weather is supposed to be great tomorrow, and riding is always sweeter on a workday. :devil: .
04 KTM300 EX/C.
04 KTM525 EX/C. gone!

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i was at MC yesterday. We did 50km's of mainly single track. We found no snow and very little ice. It was also much drier than Sunday. The trails are in great shape.

We will be at MC on Sunday at 2pm at Fisher East. i ride Orange and drive a red Toy truck.

Tom

Andy
User
User

Post by Andy »

knuckle wrote:We are going Friday 9:30 at the midddle parking lot (halfway down the gravel road). We will probably be riding east of the road but who knows where we will end up. Forget work and call in sick, the weather is supposed to be great tomorrow, and riding is always swe
eter on a workday. :devil: .
Hope you had a good one, work was dull as usual, should have listened to you and gone riding.
ANDY

*~'08 300 EXC~*
Vet Junior #11