New to Alberta - where to ride?

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
Greenhills

New to Alberta - where to ride?

Post by Greenhills »

Hey everyone...

Looking for a bit of a helping hand here. I've just recently moved to Alberta, south of Calgary, from BC. In BC there are generally tons of riding areas and few restrictions (in my experience), but Alberta doesn't seem to be as straightforward.

I really don't know where to ride around here, I don't mind driving an hour or two. I have loosely heard of areas to ride, but finding out where to park has been tough and it sounds like many places have changed significantly in the last few years which makes finding information even tougher.

I would really enjoy some hard Enduro type riding as this is what I primarily ride (think McNutt type riding) but would be grateful to even find some more open, faster stuff.

I know riding hasn't really started up yet because there's still snow on the ground. I'll take any information I can get, or if anyone wants to guide, that would be great. I would like to get out soon to sort my jetting out.

Obviously alot of this hinges around covid and the OHV ban that seems to be going back and fourth as well.

Appreciate any responses I can get.

Thanks !

Powdercowboy
User
User

Re: New to Alberta - where to ride?

Post by Powdercowboy »

Welcome! Starting to feel like spring now! Things dont really dry out in the mountains till mid or late may ( depending on weather) lol.

McLean offers alot of technical riding once you get to know the area. You could try joining the club if your looking for a start to find riding partners, and the map so you know where all the single track is.

Waiparous is further drive out from the south. I dont know the area all that well but has nice singletrack when iv gone with people that know the area.

There are other areas such a porcupine hills, Indian graves south west of calgary. I dont ride there but I'm sure other can chime in.

Iv been wanting to check out invermere but have to find someone who knows the area

If your getting itchy to ride now, go for a day ride to koocanusa.

Greenhills

Re: New to Alberta - where to ride?

Post by Greenhills »

Hey thanks for the information.

I will join the club, hopefully meet a few people to ride with. I do really enjoy trail building and maintenance too, I used to cut the courses for my old racing association.

I have heard alot about Mclean, so I will likely try there first. I drove out to porcupine hills, and it was surprisingly dry out there, but I've read that the recent changes to it removed all "legal" singletrack trails.

I might try and go down to koocanusa, I've never been but it doesn't look that hard to navigate. I am just a little hesitant to head into BC right now, even if it's just for a day trip.

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.