McLean Forest Fire

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

McLean Forest Fire

Post by trailguy »

The mountain north of the Window Maker and Fisher West truck trail is on fire. Likely started by several lightning strikes in the the area. Choppers in the air fighting it. The same lightning storm also started a fire close to the town of Bragg Creek.
If you are heading to McLean check to see if there are area/road closures.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: McLean Forest Fire

Post by AJRJ »

Any word on how it's doing?

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

http://wildfire.alberta.ca/wildfire-sta ... s-map.aspx

they are pretty good at updating the site. The sad part is seeing the number of fires already burning. :thumbsdown:

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

I was trying to find info about weather it’s closed or not. Currently there is a voluntary evacuation and they are recommending people stay out of the area. So not officially closed but RMDRA will respect the recommendation if still in place for Wednesday’s club ride.
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

Engine09

Post by Engine09 »

Damn, I've been patiently waiting for Jun 2nd when everything is dry to head out and now a fire. If anyone has updates please post them up during the week.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

I heard from someone that was in mclean yesterday mclean was closed. It will be that way for sure as long as the fire is listed out of control. The voluntary evac was for Bragg creek , respect the fire, stay away and go to fallen timber if you want to ride. Hopefully we get some rain over next couple days.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

We rode out of S Fisher Sunday, stayed east and north on account of the fire, we staged at 10:30 and when we crossed back from Fisher West to the east side, about 3pm that junction was swarming with RCMP and CO's.

3 of us made into the bush before they could get out of the trucks AC, but being last, and reticent to exit the woods, the RC's flagged me down. I stopped, they had questions where we came from, were going, if we'd seen the fire (no, we're not dumb why would we ride into it LOL), etc., and they told us the Maclean Trail was closed and we'd have to exit out to Millarville... I think they were bored waiting on the road. Fortunately they let me go before the CO could make her way over to "inspect" I assume...

They also mentioned we could ride the road south to S Fisher to exit, but that seemed like entrapment. :D No presence blocking access at the south gate when we left.

Edit: Also maclean is very dry for spring IMO, so unless we get a fair bit of rain i think there will be fire and OHV bans soon.

2nd edit: i heard a rumour the fire was started by grad partiers

Tronneroi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Tronneroi »

We rode yesterday and it definitely wasn't closed. Didn't even notice the smoke when we pulled up at 9am. By noon the smoke and ash was quite bad and I got the old sinking feeling of an OHV ban. Who knows who started it but it always stinks when respectful public land users get the bum end of the stick because of a few dough heads. Pray for rain folks!

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Don't believe the fake Global news reports that the fire was not started by lightning, as there was no lightning in the area. My buddy lives approx. 10 km from the fire and he watched the light show over McLean Saturday night. There was also lightning north and south of McLean Saturday which I personally witnessed. Not saying the fire was not started by a human source, but Global has some of the facts wrong.

Xcfjohn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xcfjohn »

I really hope there isn't another OHV ban this year.

scubarusteve
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by scubarusteve »

I was camped on fish east all weekend. No rain no storms. Clear all night. So I highly doubt t-storm but who knows. They never evaced us or kicked us out. We're there till 530 yesterday. We couldnt have gotten back in if we tried. Rcmp at staging and CO at gravel road entrance turning everyone around. Hope this rain helps solve the fire issue and gets us out riding!

Tronneroi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Tronneroi »

http://wildfire.alberta.ca/wildfire-sta ... s-map.aspx

The wildfire website changed the status from "out of control" at around 92 hectares to "being held" at 60 hectares. Good news I suppose. Hopefully this rain will lend some assistance.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Good news, south end of McLean got a good dump of rain last night and still a very light rain this mornin.

scubarusteve
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by scubarusteve »

Glad to hear! Excited it's not as bad as it could have been!

Tronneroi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Tronneroi »

Does anyone know yet if any trails were part of the fire?
'16 YZ250F
'94 KX250