McLean Opener?

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
deltadee
User
User

McLean Opener?

Post by deltadee »

Anyone have a guess or been into McLean recently?

Im guessing some south facing stuff should be good to go this week?

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: McLean Opener?

Post by boland »

Mclean got a lot of snow this winter. I went for a drive through there last Thursday and it did not look promising.
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

Best to stay away or you'll destroy the trails. Hearing from locals who live in Bragg that there is still lots of snow in the tree's.
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by takethebounce »

This is where I wish the clubs had more power to influence the Province to keep an area closed longer to allow more time for the trails to improve, rather risk them becoming worse because of conditions.

Sure there are numerous amounts of us who can pick and choose to ride sections which aren't as delicate and can tolerate some riding early on but there are vast numbers of riders who do not consider their impact on a lot of the riding areas.

I agree, we do not need more policing for much of it but some people don't use the same discretion.

deltadee
User
User

Post by deltadee »

Trails were good. Not much for snow at all, in the trees was all dried up. Stayed high and east: connops, Prez, lone Ranger kinda stuff. Still a lot of run off on the north end of connops but a day or 2 and it'll be clear I figure.

Tread lightly :thumbsup:

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

We are camped in the B loop. No bikes with us so we can't comment on the trails since we aren't riding but there are some small spots of snow here and there. Low areas are very wet. I suspect but cannot confirm that the western trails would have snow higher up. The east trails will likely be ok if low areas are avoided.

We had chosen to leave the bikes at home so the trails can firm up. I am not saying you should stay out but as someone who comes out here with a pick and shovel from time to time, I would appreciate it if those who do come out to ride, do so with care. No doubt the environment minister is just waiting for the May long weekend to jump up on her soap box and wave a finger at us.
The voices are back. Awesome!

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

takethebounce wrote:This is where I wish the clubs had more power to influence the Province to keep an area closed longer to allow more time for the trails to improve, rather risk them becoming worse because of conditions.

Sure there are numerous amounts of us who can pick and choose to ride sections which aren't as delicate and can tolerate some riding early on but there are vast numbers of riders who do not consider their impact on a lot of the riding areas.

I agree, we do not need more policing for much of it but some people don't use the same discretion.
The last thing i want is the Province having anymore power on closing trails.
The fictitious but inevitable fire bans, the entire forest closure last year to ohv only, but not trucks and trailers, campers, hikers, etc.
i definitely do not want our current government dictating any more closures be it temporary or most likely permanent.
And lets face it, there are many responsible riders and most will be out riding regardless the conditions, but they will post 'do what i suggest, not what i will do' posts on social media. Hypocrites.

What is best is simply tread lightly. Come across wet sections, do it without tire spinning, etc.
Cheers.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

rpollard
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by rpollard »

Out today, stayed on mostly logging roads and the field across from the rock quarry, found a log to practice on. The quarry has some huge piles of gravel in it, and a large pile of saw dust. Living in Bragg and seeing all the clear cutting, it's such a shame. Not knowing the trails very well but I think Muskeg Creek and Peckers Poles is run over with a clear cut. Lots of bikes out should dry up fast, I only have 2 patches of snow left in the yard. Cheers.

scubarusteve
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by scubarusteve »

Everything to the west is still under lots of snow and ice. 2 skidoos and elbow lookout entrances look promising but as soon as you get in its snow, ice and very wet, we did not venture in. pecker poles is under tons of snow and doesn't look like it has been logged but hard to say. More adventuring on fisher east today. :cheers:

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

rpollard wrote:Out today, stayed on mostly logging roads and the field across from the rock quarry, found a log to practice on. The quarry has some huge piles of gravel in it, and a large pile of saw dust. Living in Bragg and seeing all the clear cutting, it's such a shame. Not knowing the trails very well but I think Muskeg Creek and Peckers Poles is run over with a clear cut. Lots of bikes out should dry up fast, I only have 2 patches of snow left in the yard. Cheers.
Myself and a few others have been working closely with Spray Lakes Logging as of late trying to get them to move cut-block boundry's and logging roads off our singletrack trails. Muskeg Creek and Pecker Poles has no plans of being logged within the next 4 years.
The only designated singletrack trail that was suppose to be logged this last winter is Swany's West.

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Thanks for looking out for us and our singletrack! Your efforts are appreciated!

Glenn.
trailguy wrote:
rpollard wrote:Out today, stayed on mostly logging roads and the field across from the rock quarry, found a log to practice on. The quarry has some huge piles of gravel in it, and a large pile of saw dust. Living in Bragg and seeing all the clear cutting, it's such a shame. Not knowing the trails very well but I think Muskeg Creek and Peckers Poles is run over with a clear cut. Lots of bikes out should dry up fast, I only have 2 patches of snow left in the yard. Cheers.
Myself and a few others have been working closely with Spray Lakes Logging as of late trying to get them to move cut-block boundry's and logging roads off our singletrack trails. Muskeg Creek and Pecker Poles has no plans of being logged within the next 4 years.
The only designated singletrack trail that was suppose to be logged this last winter is Swany's West.
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

rpollard
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by rpollard »

Well suffice to say I was lost again and had no idea apparently where I was. I'm going to have to get out to club rides to learn the trails.

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by takethebounce »

Spinalguy wrote:
takethebounce wrote:This is where I wish the clubs had more power to influence the Province to keep an area closed longer to allow more time for the trails to improve, rather risk them becoming worse because of conditions.

The last thing i want is the Province having anymore power on closing trails.
The fictitious but inevitable fire bans, the entire forest closure last year to ohv only, but not trucks and trailers, campers, hikers, etc.
i definitely do not want our current government dictating any more closures be it temporary or most likely permanent.
And lets face it, there are many responsible riders and most will be out riding regardless the conditions, but they will post 'do what i suggest, not what i will do' posts on social media. Hypocrites.

What is best is simply tread lightly. Come across wet sections, do it without tire spinning, etc.
Cheers.

Correct me if I am wrong but the clubs do not have the power to legally close trails or portions of in Alberta?

If they did it would be helpful to help reduce traffic on some of the more sensitive areas. But being that it’s controlled by the Province they are the only ones legally able to enforce closures. Sometimes people need to be less selfish and accept that closures can help areas.

As an example, Do I like when a body of water is closed for fishing? No but that is a part of conservation. I do not do the studies so I have to rely on the info provided. OHV use or over use of areas is real. Areas are constantly abused, less and less I see these responsible riders.

Anyhow I will agree to disagree on this as I could go on for quite awhile about the current Provinces regime and outlook which is determined to take more than give but there are always two sides.

Glad Mclean is drying up.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i completely understand where you are coming from, i do.

Unfortunately with blanket closure of Castle followed by soon to be blanket closure of Porcupine Hills, Racehorse Creek, Livingstone and the Bighorn area leaves me with never wanting to suggest any closure for any reason to the current government ever again with regard to trail use.
Every Spring, its wet and some areas remain wet longer as well. It is not an issue. When RMDRA postpones big group rides until it dries up, that is a great measure and the right thing to do. RMDRA doing those things makes me proud to be involved with them.
If we asked .gov to temporarily close areas down, then we may never see them open again because too wet becomes too dry.
Last years closure was an insult to the OHV community. Until they finally closed the forest much later to every Albertan, we were unfairly targeted.

As is said, the last thing i want and many others like me (responsible users) want is more .gov input.
Cheers.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Xcfjohn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xcfjohn »

Any updates on MacLean conditions? Thinking of heading out for my first ride of the year this weekend.