More and Less Challenging Trails

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
IanInCalgary
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby IanInCalgary » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Which trails near Fisher West and South Fisher Creek staging areas are more challenging and which are less challenging?

I'll be riding with another person with similar abilities - advanced rookies (or intermediate wanabes).

Ian

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.

Hooligan
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Re: More and Less Challenging Trails

Postby Hooligan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:44 pm

Pretty much anything up on Barwell will challenge you. Trails like Moonrocks, Dylans Diggs and Forget me not lookout are supposedly more difficult than the rest. - I haven't managed to get to any of those yet.

Close to West, Log Hopper presents some challenges. I have just begun to explore the area behind Widow Maker and some of those trails are pretty fun but I'm told Roller Bearing and Stickler are two of the most difficult trails in McLean.

If you like crossing logs, Area 51 is for you, however there is a pretty difficult hill at the south end, going north.

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.

cycleworks
RMDRA Sponsor
RMDRA Sponsor

Postby cycleworks » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:05 pm

First Ridge Loop at Barwell is quite easy- bit of a challenge at the top of the switchbacks to get up there, but very nice, short loop and you can do it a few times in a row to practice some skills!
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW

Advertisement

Hooligan
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby Hooligan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:27 pm

cycleworks wrote:First Ridge Loop at Barwell is quite easy- bit of a challenge at the top of the switchbacks to get up there, but very nice, short loop and you can do it a few times in a row to practice some skills!

Yep, there is a big log crossing I have been meaning to get to on the First Ridge trail. :eek:

Advertisement

dirtyboy
RMDRA Lifetime Member
RMDRA Lifetime Member

Postby dirtyboy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:50 am

Hooligan wrote:
cycleworks wrote:First Ridge Loop at Barwell is quite easy- bit of a challenge at the top of the switchbacks to get up there, but very nice, short loop and you can do it a few times in a row to practice some skills!

Yep, there is a big log crossing I have been meaning to get to on the First Ridge trail. :eek:

The Trail Management Object (TMO) for that trail would be to leave a big log crossing for others to enjoy.

Advertisement

Braap791
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby Braap791 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:04 pm

Agreed trails off the south staging area are to be left alone. Do not cut logs out making that area easier. Most of the trails from the south end are for intermediate riders and up let's leave it that way.

Advertisement

Hooligan
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby Hooligan » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:30 pm

dirtyboy wrote:
Hooligan wrote:

The Trail Management Object (TMO) for that trail would be to leave a big log crossing for others to enjoy.

Uhhh YEA, thats what I was talking about. Been meaning to give it a try rather than ride around it. Who said anything about cutting out a perfectly good log? :crazy: To be honest I'd like to go cut down a few trees just so we can jump over the logs. :D

Advertisement

SpecialK
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby SpecialK » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:20 am

Hooligan wrote:
dirtyboy wrote:
Hooligan wrote:

Uhhh YEA, thats what I was talking about. Been meaning to give it a try rather than ride around it. Who said anything about cutting out a perfectly good log? :crazy: To be honest I'd like to go cut down a few trees just so we can jump over the logs. :D

if you want more logs.... we can point you in the right direction...
2009 KTM 250 XCW

Advertisement

Hooligan
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby Hooligan » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:08 pm

Where? :)

We are working our way into Roller Bearing and Stickler which I understand are full of big logs. :eek:

Advertisement

trailguy
RMDRA Lifetime Member
RMDRA Lifetime Member

Postby trailguy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:13 pm

Hooligan wrote:Where? :)

We are working our way into Roller Bearing and Stickler which I understand are full of big logs. :eek:

Stickler not so much but you will be challenged on Roller Bearing especially in the North bound direction. Enjoy :D

Advertisement

Hooligan
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby Hooligan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:03 pm

Just getting to the south end of Roller Bearing was a major accomplishment. They don't call that trail Widow Maker for nothing. :eek: :crybaby:

My buddy had a look up Roller Bearing and came back reporting four big log crossings in the first 200 yds or so. :eek: I think we are going to have to try Stickler first.

Advertisement

Return to “Ride Reports / Areas”