Waiperous Single Track

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
turbo2point3
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Waiperous Single Track

Post by turbo2point3 »

Same here, been out there for the last 5 weekends.
Lots in around south ghost too, the first spot you pass.

:nworthy:

Going to Mcleans Sunday, need a change. lol
old Husky
Headquarters
250s, 360, 400s
430s, 500s + 510s
a dozen cool bikes :)

MrHermit

Post by MrHermit »

I've never ridden at McLean, could someone explain why it is closed? Is it closed certain months of the year?

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Nobody can explain why. It's open now as of May 1st.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

LID
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LID »

I think I remember a story that the closure goes back to an old agreement with a sled group out of Calgary. I think it used to get enough snow to sled out there back in the day. I think it's open to quads because this was back in ATC days, with big balloon tires that didn't tear things up like tires do now.

I'm sure someone remembers better than I do.
Mark Williams
2016 500EXC

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Yeah LID that's the most prevalent story, but the issue is that we've also heard other reasons for the closure from the government representatives. The rule was made way back and I don't think that there were quads at the time. Talk about an outdated rule. :crazy: So far no one is willing to change the rule.

At least we are allowed to do trail monitoring, signing and maintenance now.

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by takethebounce »

AS far as the Mclean closure goes, I don't mind it. I have never ridden my sled there and if that is the reason for the carry over of the rule, it is outdated for that reason. But, more often than not, unlike the past 2 springs, the single track is still soft and wet into May. Many riders are not able to understand the "tread lightly" concept and rip up, rut out and sometimes destroy a lot of good terrain. Sure I can moderate my own actions and chose to not spin the snot out of every section but many others do not. Yeah there are those who feel as those they should be able to ride however they like on the bike trails but I have seen over the years some really good sections get hammered out early season. Maybe I am just picky.

Anyhow,

I have ridden some really nice single track in Waiperous. I have no idea if it was designated or old trails but a lot of good fast flow to some, others with some snotty lines that were challenging. I haven't ridden out there for 2-3 years but should try and get out there again.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

LID wrote:I think I remember a story that the closure goes back to an old agreement with a sled group out of Calgary. I think it used to get enough snow to sled out there back in the day. I think it's open to quads because this was back in ATC days, with big balloon tires that didn't tear things up like tires do now.

I may remember a couple of things Mark. McLean got good snow fall in the 70 & 80's, alot of sledders rode there and the Forestry groomed a network of trails. In around 1990 they banded Dirt Bikes with a new rule stating balloon tire & track vehicles only. This was a result of a small group of friends that developed the Bolted Tire project starting in the early 80's. McLean was legal to Dirt bikes and these guys wanted to figure out a way to ride in the winter. There was no such thing as Trellies or grip studs at the time and Ice screws were useless. The solution was 500cc 2 strokes running grade #8 carriage bolts with nylon lock washers. 1/4" x 1 1/2" for the front, 3/8" x 2" rear. The line up was one CR500, KTM 500, KTM 495, Maico 490, KTM 250.
It took a year or two to figure out all the tricks to making these tires last under a 60 HP 2T as well as mods to the bikes. The end result was amazing, deep snow was not an issue up to a point and you could bushwack anywhere you wanted pretty much. Where these were amazing though was on the packed cutlines. You could go so much faster than in summer as the tires stuck like velcro. On these packed trails this set up wasted the fastest sleds of the time bad, if memory serves me right I believe the Artic Cat 440 was one of the fastest. The Dude on the Maico 490 loved racing sleds and disillusioning them. If the group was stopped the sledders often stopped in amazement with lots of questions. Mr. throttle happy Maico dude always had to mention he had the fastest machine in McLean, they all laughed in his face and of course the drag race was on - he never lost once. If it was smooth and straight the 440's could make it respectable, but most of those groomed trails had huge whoops develop, in that sitution it was instant vaporization of said sleds. The bikes went through snow whoops as good as rubber in sand whoops.
The photo's ( I don't know how those got in my I-Phone ) show some very worn bolts - new is even taller. The roost off of one of those 60 HP Monsters and 2" bolts is like nothing I have every felt before - even with riding jackets on, its not just the velocity but the amount of roost due to the height of the knobs and bolts - its was a big scoop, you only ever made the mistake of getting behind one of those Monsters ONCE :crazy: as you were pretty much machine gunned with ice cubes. So racing and passing sleds along the trail left a few welts here and there not to mention about a foot deep trench in the trail from each bike.
So with bruised Ego's, trenches in the trails and welts still healing the sledder's had the forestry close McLean to bikes, as well as Sybil flats, Cataract Creek, etc, etc. The kicker is Mclean has not seen any winter trail grooming since around 1990. Like Dirtyboy mentions, they are coming up with different reasons why McLean is closed but I don't think anyone is still there that remembers the real reason they closed McLean.
So the 2T Monster's were sent to the South Ghost in semi-captivity to ride mostly virgin powder. The roost was still huge but didn't hurt as much, just burying the odd small fury animal live. In around the mid 90's the bolted tire project and the Monsters went extinct. Sadly only one of the original group still rides. Rumour has it the one remaining rider gets the itch some winters to make alot of ice cubes - really really fast. :canada:
Attachments
IMG_9063_1.JPG
IMG_9061_1.JPG

LID
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LID »

Jeez, that is some aggressive "tread"!!
Mark Williams
2016 500EXC

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Wow...that was like the vinyl cafe....Awesome tale
trailguy wrote:
LID wrote:I think I remember a story that the closure goes back to an old agreement with a sled group out of Calgary. I think it used to get enough snow to sled out there back in the day. I think it's open to quads because this was back in ATC days, with big balloon tires that didn't tear things up like tires do now.

I may remember a couple of things Mark. McLean got good snow fall in the 70 & 80's, alot of sledders rode there and the Forestry groomed a network of trails. In around 1990 they banded Dirt Bikes with a new rule stating balloon tire & track vehicles only. This was a result of a small group of friends that developed the Bolted Tire project starting in the early 80's. McLean was legal to Dirt bikes and these guys wanted to figure out a way to ride in the winter. There was no such thing as Trellies or grip studs at the time and Ice screws were useless. The solution was 500cc 2 strokes running grade #8 carriage bolts with nylon lock washers. 1/4" x 1 1/2" for the front, 3/8" x 2" rear. The line up was one CR500, KTM 500, KTM 495, Maico 490, KTM 250.
It took a year or two to figure out all the tricks to making these tires last under a 60 HP 2T as well as mods to the bikes. The end result was amazing, deep snow was not an issue up to a point and you could bushwack anywhere you wanted pretty much. Where these were amazing though was on the packed cutlines. You could go so much faster than in summer as the tires stuck like velcro. On these packed trails this set up wasted the fastest sleds of the time bad, if memory serves me right I believe the Artic Cat 440 was one of the fastest. The Dude on the Maico 490 loved racing sleds and disillusioning them. If the group was stopped the sledders often stopped in amazement with lots of questions. Mr. throttle happy Maico dude always had to mention he had the fastest machine in McLean, they all laughed in his face and of course the drag race was on - he never lost once. If it was smooth and straight the 440's could make it respectable, but most of those groomed trails had huge whoops develop, in that sitution it was instant vaporization of said sleds. The bikes went through snow whoops as good as rubber in sand whoops.
The photo's ( I don't know how those got in my I-Phone ) show some very worn bolts - new is even taller. The roost off of one of those 60 HP Monsters and 2" bolts is like nothing I have every felt before - even with riding jackets on, its not just the velocity but the amount of roost due to the height of the knobs and bolts - its was a big scoop, you only ever made the mistake of getting behind one of those Monsters ONCE :crazy: as you were pretty much machine gunned with ice cubes. So racing and passing sleds along the trail left a few welts here and there not to mention about a foot deep trench in the trail from each bike.
So with bruised Ego's, trenches in the trails and welts still healing the sledder's had the forestry close McLean to bikes, as well as Sybil flats, Cataract Creek, etc, etc. The kicker is Mclean has not seen any winter trail grooming since around 1990. Like Dirtyboy mentions, they are coming up with different reasons why McLean is closed but I don't think anyone is still there that remembers the real reason they closed McLean.
So the 2T Monster's were sent to the South Ghost in semi-captivity to ride mostly virgin powder. The roost was still huge but didn't hurt as much, just burying the odd small fury animal live. In around the mid 90's the bolted tire project and the Monsters went extinct. Sadly only one of the original group still rides. Rumour has it the one remaining rider gets the itch some winters to make alot of ice cubes - really really fast. :canada:
#Z3B