recent fallen timber xc event?

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
vwrally
Contributor
Contributor

recent fallen timber xc event?

Post by vwrally »

I was out with a couple of other riders yesterday at fallen timber for some single track. We started from the parking area behind the campground and headed out over the bridge across the river. Was going to do one of the loops marked on the srd map, but right after the bridge we started following some pink and blue ribbons and just decided to see where they lead us. They ended up taking us on an epic ~50km loop way north and back, was well marked the whole way with ribbon, arrows, and paper plates on trees every 5km with distance marking. My question is, who's event was this that used that route? I'm guessing an xc event since it was way too long for a hare scramble.

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: recent fallen timber xc event?

Post by Braap791 »

That is for the rescheduled Dirty Moose XC event that was postponed due to rain. Sept 26-27 is the new date.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

You're welcome

vwrally
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vwrally »

ahh, I see, kudos to the trail builder(s), it was awesome, I can only imagine the tremendous amount of work that was to set up.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

vwrally wrote:ahh, I see, kudos to the trail builder(s), it was awesome, I can only imagine the tremendous amount of work that was to set up.
The loop is amazing isn't it? The work that goes into one of these races is incredible, from trail building to organizing to the inevitable clean up... Kudos to all those that help out. :thumbsup:

SpecialK
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by SpecialK »

Best loop I've riden to date, thanks so much to the track builders. You guys do great work, can't wait for the re-scheduled race :thumbsup:
2016 KTM 250 XC-F #92

2009 KTM 250 XCW
2006 KX 250

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

It's the races that the club (and other clubs) put on that allows us to put loops like that together. Our hope is if we do a good enough job, SRD will make it a designated trail one day.
By supporting the race, you not only get to have a lot of fun, but support this type of effort for next year.

So if anyone hasn't raced before, now's your chance. :banana: :soapbox:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

vwrally
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vwrally »

Hendrix13 wrote: So if anyone hasn't raced before, now's your chance. :banana: :soapbox:
So yeah, me and one of the guys I rode with yesterday are really thinking about entering the event. What's the process for complete noobs to racing? I'm not out to set the world on fire, but my friend is a fair bit faster than me. What are the rmdra classes for this event? I'm a little confused between the SGC classes of sportsman, novice, intermediate, etc, versus the A/B age groups. Also, what is the cutoff time for the big loop?

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Enjoy while you can. There is flagging in certian areas that indicate parts of the loop will be logged this winter :thumbsdown: . Practice you cutblock riding skills, soon thats all that will be left to build trails.
#Z3B

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

vwrally wrote:
Hendrix13 wrote: So if anyone hasn't raced before, now's your chance. :banana: :soapbox:
So yeah, me and one of the guys I rode with yesterday are really thinking about entering the event. What's the process for complete noobs to racing? I'm not out to set the world on fire, but my friend is a fair bit faster than me. What are the rmdra classes for this event? I'm a little confused between the SGC classes of sportsman, novice, intermediate, etc, versus the A/B age groups. Also, what is the cutoff time for the big loop?
It is a CMRC race. Classes are Pros, Expert, intermediate, 50, 40 A/B, 30 A/B, ladies A/B, junior, beginner.
Take cash to race, buy day license and race entry.... ride!!!!!
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Cutoff will be a game time decision. Expect to be in the top 50% to get through.

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Post by markvfr »

Found a black plastic Acerbis skidplate on the race course yesterday near km 27. Since I had no good way to bring it out, I left it on the downhill side of the trail right after the sharp 180 degree downhill around-the-tree-stump left turn.

There was 2-3cm of snow on the first 10km of the loop in the morning...

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Skid Plate is Monty s

vwrally
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vwrally »

Well, I didn't make it to the race, had a family reunion on my wifes side on Saturday that I couldn't get out of. Also on Thursday I sprained my right ankle, so no riding at all for a week or two :thumbsdown:

One of my riding buddies from Edmonton made it though, go MrHermit!!

Since the race is just a few hours away, and no competitors are going to see this, here's a few clips of the epic loop from my ride a few weeks ago, the course starts at about 4:45, just after log hopping practice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWkADevZL7w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Something to enjoy while we wait for real race footage to get posted! :cheers:

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

The first bit was trail AJRJ and Dirty boy built. From that long open section on was all scouted primarily by Axel99 and yours truly, with hundreds of man hrs on saws by tons of guys. That section where you crashed was cut through solo by Axel99 after probably 3 scouting rides (finding the cut that we ride down was key, lower gets steep and unsustainable)
The next ridge had been walked by a member several years ago which gave us an outline however there is still about 100 man hrs cutting blow down on that one ridge.

Looks like you had a great time, do me a favor and pay it forward.... :)