Pecker Poles Quad Access!

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
GWsXR250R
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Pecker Poles Quad Access!

Post by GWsXR250R »

Hey Guys, Not to sure where I should be posting this but I'm sure the right eyes will point it in the right direction.

I was out for a rip on the weekend with my buddy on his raptor, headed toward the lookout on Swany's West on the truck road going south. there was a truck cutting wood in the middle of the road so we tucked up a side trail that was pretty badly washed out but definitely ride-able for a good quader (I thought it was a quad trail). it wound up poking us right into the very lower portion of Pecker Poles. I seen the dirt bike signage at the end of what I thought was a quad trail and realized where I was. Due to the washed out trail we came up my buddy didn't want to turn back so he wiggled his way about 300ft or more to the road down the single track.

Not sure if this may be a point of interest for some four wheeler controls but I thought Id post a note. Id hate to see some adventurous quader start heading to far in the wrong direction on this trail.

Let me know your thoughts and if you need any more info shoot me a PM.

Thanks

GW

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Pecker Poles Quad Access!

Post by boland »

Thanks for posting. We will look into it
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Braap791 »

I will add it to the list! A very gracious club member has spent some time building 5 up and overs so I hope to have a plan in place shortly and we can go out and do some installs!.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Thanks for the note GW. If I understand this correctly, that trail you were on is a legal truck trail as shown on the map. With the errosion it is no longer a truck trail and I don't believe it was ever signed by ESRD or the truck guys as a legal trail.
When creating the singletrack map I had the option of making that truck trail a continuation of Pecker Polls and making it legal singletrack only. With the interest of poaching in mind I left it as a truck trail and kept the entrance to PP more remote rather than bringing it out to the main cut-line/logging road.
So we cannot width control that truck trail but we may want to do something with the very south end of PP where it "T's" into this trail. With the remote entrance to PP, so far the Quads have not poached it, but who nows how long that will last.

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Forgive me for being naive, but do we really have to worry about pecker poles being poached? It would take a seriously dedicated moron to actually wreck this trail. I'm banging my bars the whole way through.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

Ya I think the trail itself is fine. Sounds like they rode past the entrance on the cutline/truck trail.
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

giantjoe wrote:Forgive me for being naive, but do we really have to worry about pecker poles being poached? It would take a seriously dedicated moron to actually wreck this trail. I'm banging my bars the whole way through.
Not from the North end but the South end would be easy to ride into on a Quad for at least 1 KM ? Then once they start cutting their way in farther....who knows when they'll give up.

GWsXR250R
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by GWsXR250R »

I was just going south on the logging road giving the bike a chance to open up. I have a hard time believing the side trail we went up was a truck trail. It literally ended at single track. Either go west to the bridge we installed or east back down to the logging road.

The entrance right off the logging road is only marked with a white ribbon from what I saw so it's pretty well hidden from the main traffic. Like I said you would need a pretty confident Quader to go up that washed out portion. That being said they may be the adventurous type already.

Thought I would just bring it up and let the club decide what's best.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Agree GW, you would never know that was once an easy trail for Jeeps & small trucks. They lost that trail in 2005 with the 100 year rains and then the flooding a couple of years ago just made it worse. The Alders and trees have narrowed it considerably because only bikes are using it any more. I haven't been down it passed PP in years, but it used to go passed PP back out to the cut-line/logging road heading West to Quick road where it sounded like you were heading to access Swany's west. Thanks. :thumbsup:

GWsXR250R
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by GWsXR250R »

Sounds like you know exactly where I was and headed.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out with rectifying it!

GW

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

As a former hardcore 4x4 enthusiast with well built rigs, there are many a trail that we did/do that motorbike guys stared at us with eyes wide open. We never cared about body damage and the steeper, more off camber, more washed out, the better the challenge for us.
What may look impossible through a dirtbikers eyes, looks like a lot of fun through a 4x4's eyes.
And yes the quadding community has indeed branched out to trying really insane stuff nowadays.
:cheers:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

giantjoe wrote:Forgive me for being naive, but do we really have to worry about pecker poles being poached? It would take a seriously dedicated moron to actually wreck this trail. I'm banging my bars the whole way through.
There once was a trail that was super a tight and barely ridable bike trail in that area. Today it is a designated quad trail on the map. Where there is a will there is a way and a saw and a winch is fun for some 4 wheelers. I think pecker polls is the perfect location for some width controls in conjunction with the other locations. I would be sad to loose that trail.

SpecialK
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by SpecialK »

:lol: it would take some serious effort to widen pecker poles... but some controls couldn't hurt?
2016 KTM 250 XC-F #92

2009 KTM 250 XCW
2006 KX 250

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

It took serious effort to widen the trail that is just west and north of pecker poles. But now it is a designated quad trail. Never underestimate the resolve of an off road rider.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

dirtyboy wrote:It took serious effort to widen the trail that is just west and north of pecker poles. But now it is a designated quad trail. Never underestimate the resolve of an off road rider.
Yah, that was a huge stretch of trail they sawed and hacked their way through. :crazy: