Help with some riding areas please!

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
justinKX
Journalist
Journalist

Help with some riding areas please!

Post by justinKX »

Hey there, I've been a member years back, but moved away and just came back. I would like to make a list of all the riding areas and whether they are good for camping or not. I don't remember where very many places are so I'll share the ones I know of, and if you can all add a place or two with a quick description or map link that would be great. I think this can be useful for everyone. If there is already something like this, we can forget this thread, but i was unable to find one.
Thanks!

Maclean Creek (obviously)
Not much for camping here anymore unless your tenting or going to the campground as the roads are pretty rough to pull a trailer on. However I do see people back there with them. I think everyone know where this place is!

Wiaparous. This one I need some help with. I have been past the village and to the first campground. wiaparous creek i believe. Its just before the 4x4 staging area on the 40. This is the only place ive been in this area, there is not much for riding except cut lines and some quad trails from what i remember, its been a few years. Are there any better spots to ride or camp along the 40? I hear of fallen timber or burnt timber now and then... We prefer random camping to campgrounds. 51.375727, -114.998012

indian Graves. south on 22 past longview, 532 west. there a re a couple random spots but hard to pull into unless you dont care about your rv. and they get packed. there is a campground if you want. the road past the staging area gets very steep and not recommended for rvs. 50.236828, -114.369685 you can however take a different route, go west at longview then south on the dirt road and you can come in behind indian graves. as soon as you pass the 532 intersection there is alot of random camping along the old man river, i have not been here yet, its our next destination, but have heard and been showed alot of good things.

Porcupine hills. Need help here also. from what i gather this is down highway 22 south of longview then keep going south past indian graves 532 turn off, and you take the 520 east to the top of the hill and the staging area is there at the intersection of trout creek road, skyline road and the 520... this is the staging area as ive seen on quadsquad.ca and dirtbiker.ca but i dont see very many trails here.. we took trout creek road for 15 min and found some cool camping areas and some quad trails but i dont see much for riding in the area... here is where we camped. 50.027661, -114.038109 are there better areas around here?

thats really all i know about myself. I have heard there is riding in caroline, sundre, drumheller, down in crowsnest passs area... i appreciate any replies and tips. if you click on a google map/earth on a certain spot it will give you GPS coordinates to post, so we can all see the spot your referring to!

justinKX
Journalist
Journalist

Re: Help with some riding areas please!

Post by justinKX »

i see....

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

I've got another one for you:

Alberta 752
Caroline, AB T0M 0M0
52.203199, -115.351522

Random camping permitted along the road. Can be hard to find a good spot on a long weekend, but much less used than the places around Calgary. There is some singletrack, but lots more quad trails. Some of the quad trails can be fun too because they lead to interesting places - including an abandoned ranger station on the top of a steep rocky mountain, a large waterfall and a sulphur spring. To find those places though, you would probably need to know someone who grew up in the area... :D

Edit: From looking at the google maps satellite view, I think this might be where the ranger station is:
Division No. 9
AB
52.137325, -115.415722

There is a jeep trail that goes about 3/4 of the way up, that becomes impassable at some point except for quads and bikes. Then the last 500-1000 meters or so most people hike on foot -but a determined dirt biker can make it happen.

I tried to pinpoint the waterfall and sulphur spring too, but it's way too hard using grainy satellite photos. Probably in this region for the waterfall, but I could be quite a ways off:
Division No. 9
AB
52.249593, -115.582768
-Jared
#44b

Murray1962
User
User

Post by Murray1962 »

Hi There,

To quote your post

Maclean Creek (obviously)
Not much for camping here anymore unless your tenting or going to the campground as the roads are pretty rough to pull a trailer on. However I do see people back there with them. I think everyone know where this place is!

Please tell me where this is ? I have a fairly small trailer. Thanks