Kook ride report?

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Kook ride report?

Post by MotorEd »

Did anyone go down to Kook this past weekend? (Mar 19-20) Just wondering if it got any of this recent snow?

Cheers
Ed

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

I just checked the weather report for Grasmere, and it doesn't look all the great (snow/freezing rain,highs of 2/3). I know Fernie has received over 50cms of snow in the last few days, I'm sure KooK must have received a little

DirtGirl
Columnist
Columnist

Post by DirtGirl »

:buttkick:
Some friends of mine are heading down there tonight. They are going to try to get word to me about the conditions. I will post as soon as I hear from them!
DIRTY GIRLS RULE!
2009 KTM250 xcf-w

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

That would be great!

...and I couldnt agree more...dirty girls do RULE! :banana:

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Pilot friend of mine flew over Kook yesterday (march 23) said it was all white!!

Better have studs!

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Pilot friend of mine flew over Kook yesterday (march 23) said it was all white!!

Better have studs!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

MotorEd wrote:Pilot friend of mine flew over Kook yesterday (march 23) said it was all white!!

Better have studs!
Looks like the RMDRA guys are heading there tomorrow, with studded tires. Not sure of all the details. :easter:

Kwi-Chang
Writer
Writer

Post by Kwi-Chang »

We need web-cams at all the riding spots to check conditions!

Kwi

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

Easter weekend at Kook has turned into a bit of sh*t show. Lots of people. I hate coming up on packs of 10-15 riding together. I'm going to wait a week or two, when there is not as many people down there. Hopefully it will get warmer, and maybe get lucky with some rain to keep the dust down :cheers:

DirtGirl
Columnist
Columnist

Post by DirtGirl »

:bonk:
I have not heard from my friends that went on Tuesday night.
Good luck to all that are going.

It is supposed to be nice in Calgary on Sunday so we might head to Blackrock.
DIRTY GIRLS RULE!
2009 KTM250 xcf-w

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

When you say "Blackrock" I assume you are talking about the trail around Blackrock that heads up to Waiparous. Did you know that it is part of the Don Getty Wildlife land and is now closed to motorized vehicles. Signs were posted last fall :banghead:

knuckle
Writer
Writer

Post by knuckle »

Would that be the valley to the west of Blackrock? We used to park on the Trans Alta road just inside the gate and ride the Ghost Valley all the way until it began to trend north. At this point the single track crosses the Trans Alta road proper as it heads west and dives into the valley. The single track north of here would go on for about another 5-10km (on the east edge of the valley)and eventually turn east and climb the backside of some mountain. At the top of the mountain it is jumbled boulders just above treeline. Is this the backside of Blackrock? Many times we stood on the top of that ridge debating that if we dropped in past the point of no return that we would pick up a trail on the east side of the mountain to take us back out.
04 KTM300 EX/C.
04 KTM525 EX/C. gone!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Rode there on Friday March 25. There were some dusty areas but also wet, and snow/ice sections. It was a zoo out there. I think Southern Alberta was out there camping!

One rider in our group had rubber tires and he made it OK but on the ice sections, let's just say I say the side of his Yamaha more times than I can count. :eek:

Very fun day riding..... :canada: