Riding The Dunes

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
Dave P
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Riding The Dunes

Post by Dave P »

Anyone here hit the dunes recently?

I am thinking about taking a trip to St. Anthony's in Idaho, or maybe up to Brule Lake by Hinton. Both look like they could be a pretty darn good time.

Did you prep your bike any differently? Paddle Tire actually require?

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Riding The Dunes

Post by WRocks »

Been to Saint Anthony 3 times now.
Was awesome the first time, decent the second and after the third will be a while before I go again, if ever.
It's fun but not super technical, as I am not into big air jumps. It is a bucket list ride though...

Paddle tire is a must, without one you'll have a hard time getting traction for climbing. Nice thing is they are only $50 or so.
Do not ride on lava rocks with a paddle tire, the tire is thin between the paddles and rocks can pierce it.
You can't have enough power for the dunes. Ideally a ported/polished/piped CR/KX 500 is the ideal bike. You can still have lots of fun on any other bike, but bigger is better.
Didn't find overeating t be an issue as you are usually in the highest gear you can ride in. The swing arm will be nicely polished...lol

Really not much to change for bike set up, other than doing maintenance.
You'll have to change/clean the air filter each day. I highly recommend filter covers, as you can getaway just changing them each day.
You'll be riding wide open most of the time, so plan on changing oil if you're riding more than a couple days.

Dress light to keep cool. There's no trees, so elbow guards, chest protector and all that stuff just make you hot.
Don't tuck your jersey in your pants, unless you want a butt crack full of sand...lol

Never been to Hinton or Athabasca, so can't comment on it.
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF
2015 450 SXF with Timbersled MHLT