Koocanusa Where to Camp & Ride?

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
etep15

Koocanusa Where to Camp & Ride?

Post by etep15 »

It's been about 8 years since I've been down to Koocanusa. We camped a few times on either side, mostly random camping where we had the whole beach to ourselves. This was when I had a truck and could get in just about anywhere.

Back then I wasn't riding. We were just boating etc. But now I have bikes again and I'm driving a 30' motorhome with my bikes on racks on the front and back. It's an older motorhome so it can take some beatings within reason. I remember seeing some bikes riding around nearby some of the places I was at but wasn't sure if they were just yahoos riding around or legit respectable riders.

We are pretty low key, I rode for 10 years starting back when I was 8 years old. But am now just getting back into it since last fall and am now 40. So I'm hoping for a good place that I can park my motorhome and enjoy the lake nearby and hop on my bike and drive straight out from the campsite.

I can't seem to find any trail maps for the area so I'm not exactly sure where best to camp. Kikomun seems to keep coming up but it looks like a bit of a dreary place. Camping on top of each other and no trees. I knew a great place further south near the border on the east side. The last time I was there it had just been taken over by the Indians. It was great until the Indians showed up and decided to party one night (weekend after september long). That kind of turned us off of Koocanusa then. But we are now wanting to try it again and are planning to head down mid July. From what I've read things have gotten quite a bit more crowded there and I've heard the stories of the bad rep we now have here in Calgary/Alberta from the May Long fiasco. So unfortunate that a few idiots can ruin the good name of the majority.

Anyway, apologies for the ramble. Just hoping for some suggestions of some good camping with a motorhome with access to the lake nearby and the dirt bike trails if such a place exists.

Regards,

Peter
2014 KTM 350 xcf-w

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Koocanusa Where to Camp & Ride?

Post by RJHenry »

Dorr North is what we call it.
http://goo.gl/maps/IKT3w

Trails are north, west, and south... No formal map exists to my knowledge.

Use search on this forum to find extensive koocanusa talk from prior campouts.
RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

etep15

Re: Koocanusa Where to Camp & Ride?

Post by etep15 »

Excellent, thanks RJH! Will check it out!