Overnight bike trip ideas

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
electrickazoo

Overnight bike trip ideas

Post by electrickazoo »

Hello all, I am interested in putting together or participating in an overnight dirt bike trip. Wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions. I am somewhat familiar with Ghost, and Waiporous so I was looking for other suggestions within three hours of Calgary. The trip could involve riding to interesting back country swimming lakes, random camping, views or single track. For example I heard that at some point you could ride quite close to Farnham glacier near Radium - not sure if that's even still possible. Any suggestions are welcome.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Overnight bike trip ideas

Post by cedric »

Not much around AB without a street legal bike. Probably lots of choices in BC, but again, a street legal bike will give you a lot more options. Backroads Mapbook might be a good place to start. Maybe have a look at adsmc.ca and search the 'Ride Reports' and 'Day Trippin' forums on advrider.com.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Several mtn passes that are still "legal" to travel across from Alberta to BC mostly in the Crowsnest area, you can get to Radium / Cranbrook from Calgary in one long aggressive day by almost all dirt, rock and ummm... snow. :D Some are now "one way" travel now due to erosion and lack of maintenance / use. Have a line on a few routes from the East Kootenays to the West as well, and some daytrips to old mines in the Kootenays.

These are not typical dual sport fare: you will need to be able to GPS navigate and reroute, climb boulder gardens, hop log after scarified log, cut avalanche debris, fix many flats, bull dog washouts, and have adequate fuel capacity if a bridge is gone out or snow blocks the way, and you have to turn around, or worse, spend an overnight, and to face riding conditions from +25 to below zero and in driving snow...

We do it on sparingly loaded dual sported WR 450's, 570 Bergs, 530 KTMs, 3-4 gallon tanks, big headlights, with 2-4 guys that can ride the singletrack here on said big bike, and keep a rigorous pace all day.
Savannah_Shelf.jpg
IMG_0100 (Medium).jpg
photo.JPG
IMG_0079 (Medium).jpg
IMG_0118 (Medium).jpg

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Either that is the biggest bear scat around or you found bigfoot........

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Dobi wrote:Either that is the biggest bear scat around or you found bigfoot........
I tend not to scat on trails. That's one big bear.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------