New to riding...looking for some help

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
freeborn

New to riding...looking for some help

Post by freeborn »

My son and I are looking to start riding. He currently has a CRF70 and I am still shopping but plan on getting around a 250. Just looking to do some beginner trail riding and I had a few questions:

Do we need plates to ride on the trails? Any riding that he/we have done is just been in fields and stuff.

Where would be the closest/best place to start riding if I am coming from High River?

Any tips, suggestions that anybody could give before we start?

Any recommendations for what to look for when shopping for a used bike?

Thanks in advance

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: New to riding...looking for some help

Post by Dobi »

Welcome.
plates and lights are mandatory.
From High River, a really good option is to go to Indian Graves. If you go South of town at the traffic circle and head west on the 540, South on 22 to highway 532. Go West about 11km and just before you cross the river on your left is access to a road that leads you down to an old cow pasture. This is a great place to take new rider to get used to the bike and to start tackling some hills. Not much for singletrack here, but some good open meadows and some quad trails to build up confidence on.

When you are ready for the singletrack, head to Fisher South. It is just West of Millarvile and has a designated singletrack network

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

Welcome! There will likely be lots of kids at the camp out on July long weekend camp out, visible here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10676

There is a nice selection of kids terrain around the base of hunter valley road and some basic single track. There will be kids riding like crazy with varying levels of supervision - from beginners starting out to little biker gangs marauding the countryside.

Campfire will be attended by many friendly, experienced, slightly opinionated riders ready to provide counsel on bikes, gear, boots, trails, trailers, trucks, racing, weather, beer choices, and just about any other relevant (or irrelevant) topic.

You and your family are very welcome to come, meet some nice folks, and do some nice riding. An immersive welcome if you are up for it!

RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

fournierd

Post by fournierd »

Dobi wrote:Welcome.
plates and lights are mandatory.
From High River, a really good option is to go to Indian Graves. If you go South of town at the traffic circle and head west on the 540, South on 22 to highway 532. Go West about 11km and just before you cross the river on your left is access to a road that leads you down to an old cow pasture. This is a great place to take new rider to get used to the bike and to start tackling some hills. Not much for singletrack here, but some good open meadows and some quad trails to build up confidence on.

When you are ready for the singletrack, head to Fisher South. It is just West of Millarvile and has a designated singletrack network
Where is fisher south?

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

fournierd wrote:Where is fisher south?
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9564#p68734
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350