Moab Advice?

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
Thirsty
User
User

Moab Advice?

Post by Thirsty »

Heading down to Moab for the first time in late April. Any advice on accommodations and 'must-do' trails? Are there lots of dirt bike only suitable trails? There is a Jeep event planned the same week we are planning so wondering if the trails will be gridlocked. Current plan is ride two days in Moab and then continue further southwest for the remainder of trip. Any advice is appreciated.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Moab Advice?

Post by Spinalguy »

This ought to keep you busy...
search.php?keywords=Moab+trip
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Thirsty
User
User

Post by Thirsty »

Thanks for the link. Got some good info from the threads.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Don't miss Pritchett Canyon trail. It was a highlight I thought. :headbang:

Thirsty
User
User

Post by Thirsty »

Pritchett and 5miles of he11 are on the hit list. We found a local guide who sounds solid for first day. Going to be interesting riding on rock, not sure the forearms are ready!

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

http://www.skidmap.com/?cat=moab" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A bunch of good stuff here. Shoot me a pm with an email address and I will forward a gps file that I received from a guy at ktmtalk last year.
The regional ktmtalk forum or the trip report forums list a bunch of trails.
Don't worry. Moab is easier than it looks.

brentg
Writer
Writer

Post by brentg »

Just got back last weekend. Trails are all good and the weather is perfect. Pritchett and five miles of H-E-double hockey sticks are absolute must rides. Pritchett is close to town and popular with the jeep crowd, so you might want to hit it early in the day. After it you can do Moab rim trail and cliffhanger. They are all close by and you can stage from the same spot for all of them. That would be a good day. FMOH is a pretty good day on its own. It is about a two hour drive from town. If you get out early, and ride it quick, you can hit the red trail in the same area. I also usually recommend the whitewash dunes. They are kind of fun to ride for a while and then you can find some pretty challenging trail rides that skirt the dunes. Careful on the dunes though. They can have some petty sharp drops if you are not paying attention. My brother dropped about 15 feet onto wet sand. Bottomed his bike and sprained both ankles. Once you have done a bunch of first gear pipe bashing rock climbs Sovereign is another fun area. It is faster and more flowy than the others. Some fun switch-back climbs and descents, some rock and some third gear fun. Accommodations might be tough during Jeep events. We rented a place called Moab Retreat House. You should be able to find it on line. It was awesome and well set up for larger groups. It's walking distance to the Moab Brewery, Moab Powersports, and Brewed Awakenings. Beer, food, coffee and parts all close by and it even comes with a big garage. PM if you want more info. You are going to have a blast!!
When life throws you a curve... lean into it, pick your line, and keep your weight on the outside peg.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W

timbruce
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by timbruce »

Sounds like fun Brent :thumbsup: Thanks for the info.