Riding south of Brooks

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Riding south of Brooks

Post by cladoo »

Has anyone gone riding in this area? I was talking to a guy about it and he says its pretty sandy and you can get on it very early. he mentioned that many tracks are out there, but he is a motocrosser. Might be worth checking out just to get some riding in. He gave me pretty specific directions on how to get there.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Let's go! :banana: :banana:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I too have heard about this place. I heard about it from the guy at Blackfoot that sold me my wifes honda. It is along the river (South facing) on land owned by the EID . If you do know where it is share and I will bring the BBQ and the dogs.(Legal Description?)

I am in Medicine Hat right now and there is no snow here and very little frost left in the ground if any. I don't think that the area you are talking about would have any either!!

:cheers:

Andy
User
User

Post by Andy »

Hey Claude, I am interested in going for a ride at Brooks, if you know where it is, as I have never been there before. Also I did ride Bar C (see my post) which is worth riding if it doesn't snow! Did you get your new bike?

Give me a holler if you are interested, if not I will go skiing!

Andy :cheers:
ANDY

*~'08 300 EXC~*
Vet Junior #11

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

The directions he gave me are as follows:16km East of Brooks on #1 turn south on Rolling Hills Hwy 875 drive about 16 miles to Twnshp. Rd 162 then turn east for about 1 1/2 miles turn south ( or the road turns south) cross a cattle guard (texas gate) and park anywhere. Ride On! Andy says he is going out there today(Sat) I can't. Maybe tomorrow if the weather is nice.

Andy
User
User

South of Brooks ride report back!!!

Post by Andy »

I went today, it took me about 2 hrs from Okotoks to get there. All the riding is basically 5 separate sandy MX tracks, kind of like the easier tracks at Blackfoot, no real jumps to speak of and the general terrain is flattish. I rode for 2 and a half hours and was beat! There were some other guys from Calgary there too. For a 40 year old XC rider on a XC bike it was pretty well ideal MXing but I think for actual MX guys it would be too easy. I had a blast though it really is very sandy so you have to be on the gas just to keep the bike upright, which was lots of fun! :banana: For a group of buddies, especially XC guys to go down together and race each other it would be a blast, and like I said it is very sandy, there are no trees or rocks so you are not really going to hurt yourself too bad when you get carried away!

PS Cladoo, the directions were spot on, there is a sign behind the cattle grid which read ALDERSON South battery, go down this track, do a little dog leg and carry on for about 2Km until you see a kind of barbed wire gate on your left, this is the parking area. Like I said there are 5 tracks but the 5th one is behind the power lines to the east and you have to go and look for it. I think it is worth the trip if you like easy, safe MXing. :D
ANDY

*~'08 300 EXC~*
Vet Junior #11

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Andy,

That sounds great. Thanks for the ride report. It sounds just like where I used to ride in Manitoba. I've gotta try it out once I get rubber tires on the bike. :canada:

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

Sounds like it may be fun! Thanks for the update Andy.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Glad to hear you found the place Andy. The area I had heard about was further West and is accessed off Highway 36. The area is supposed to be on the bank of the Bow River South of Scandia. If anyone knows Lucas the salesman at Blackfoot put a map in front of him and get directions. He told me about it but wasn't able to provide great directions and neither of us had a map at that moment :banghead:

As I am stuck in Medicine Hat during the weeks finding anyplace to ride around here at night this summer is great :banana: :banana: ( I love this banana)

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

The area Andy is talking about is called Tilley. the other area I think is called Milk river, I'm not sure. I thought that milk river area was shut down though.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

DirtGirl
Columnist
Columnist

Post by DirtGirl »

The area just north-east of Brooks is Princess. It has been closed for riding for years
DIRTY GIRLS RULE!
2009 KTM250 xcf-w