Snow Riding reports

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Snow Riding reports

Post by dirtyboy »

Let's hear them? :D

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Snow Riding reports

Post by bikingagain »

Two Saturdays ago we went out, but the snow was just a little too deep to make it perfect. Since we got more snow last Friday we decided to bow out last Saturday. Plus the -18 didn't help either. My guess is now it is deep and crusty. If we get out soon I will update :D
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Thanks for the update. I was worried that was the case. :(

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

the ride into work today was my first on two wheels in 2014. The transition from the house to the bike path sucked. I spent a large amount of time on the sidewalks and having to blast into the drift piled up at every intersection. The bow river bike paths are the worst I have seen them in the winter in years. The transition from Eau Claire to my office had me riding in the middle of the main vehicle rut for 3 blocks. Thankfully I don't hold up traffic that bad and if I did nobody is brave enough to honk at an idiot on his bike in the middle of traffic in January....

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

As of last week, prior to the additional snow, south Ghost area, well, very hard now (thaw/freeze consolidation), tough going in the woods, anything in the open susceptible to drifting, lots of stucks, can't see the rain ruts, tracks, and such underneath, hooks the front like mad, not all the running water is frozen thick enough on top enough either...

The packed ATV tracks are a welcome relief connecting stuff (EDIT: "staging areas"), but even then there hasn't been alot of traffic (ie: Lesuer).

Haven't been up to Waiparous Creek or Fallentimber (EDIT: "staging areas"), but word from a buddy is they are running mountain sleds just fine at Hunter Valley! :eek:

To give an idea of wheelspin and loading, summer I will see 60+ km before reserve, last ride I saw 36km to reserve, theres that much slow clawing, Fred Flintstone style foot paddling and idling. We actually took avalanche shovels with to dig out the drifts after spending 1.5 hours to go 800m on one section (stuck stuck stuck).

PM me for "specific" trail condition reports. :D

Also your spine and hip flexors are going to hate you, I can't seem to get off the seat and stand at all in these conditions, lose the front too much, end up lawn darting it or plowing trees. :lol:
Dec15.jpg
Mark Dec28.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/malcolmzilla
Last edited by malcolmzilla on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Dobi, good on ya for getting back on the pedal bike... :thumbsup:

Malcomzilla Awesome report. So I'm so jealous that I have been sitting at home doing computer work instead of riding. That second picture tells it all. :smirk:

Thanks for the updates.

Malcomzilla, you might be interested to know that while looking at the statistics I discovered that one of the top 10 search engine results that lead to either the forum or the web site was a search for the phrase malcomzilla

You're obviously in demand and a celebrity to boot. :D

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard... :lol:
Likely the Christini thread most responsible. I was getting a ton of email questions on it.

My back's feeling better so might hazard a ride this Sunday.

Moose
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Moose »

Rode Whispering Pine loop on Monday night. Had a blast, but you better eat your Wheaties cause it will be a good workout! In tree trails you will have to stay in rut, keep feet on pegs, lean far back, and ride smooth. In open, you will need to click 4th gear, then rotate throttle to the stop, lean as far back as you can driving all your weight into pegs and never-ever let off. Free riding lessons for those brave enough to try this weekend:)

Moose

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Moose wrote:Rode Whispering Pine loop on Monday night. Had a blast, but you better eat your Wheaties cause it will be a good workout! In tree trails you will have to stay in rut, keep feet on pegs, lean far back, and ride smooth. In open, you will need to click 4th gear, then rotate throttle to the stop, lean as far back as you can driving all your weight into pegs and never-ever let off. Free riding lessons for those brave enough to try this weekend:)

Moose
Free riding lessons? I really, really wish I could make it out this weekend. :crybaby:

RMDRAExecutive
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RMDRAExecutive »

Please click on the post and "report" it if anyone has issues with posts.

The "report" button has an exclamation mark on it.

Please read the board policy and in particular rule #3

MarkyMark
Writer
Writer

Post by MarkyMark »

As soon as I get my suspension back for my bike I would love to come out and ride with you guys. Most of my friends just ride sleds in the winter. I will put a message when my bike is together.

Ynot303
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Ynot303 »

Does anyone have a local conditions report? McLean has a lot of snow :blush:
2024 RMDRA Treasurer - #303

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Have any other permit holders been to McLean lately? Was thinking of going out for a couple of hours of recon tomorrow am....
Bikeless....

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

erniebearskin wrote:Have any other permit holders been to McLean lately? Was thinking of going out for a couple of hours of recon tomorrow am....
Mclean single track has 12" or more inches of snow in most places and really hard to ride or paddle. North facing slopes are ridiculous. The most fun in mclean are the beat in quad trails, challenging at speed.
#Z3B