Riding in snow - Help!

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
Teterson

Riding in snow - Help!

Post by Teterson »

Hey guys, I'm having a hard time coming to grips with riding season being over, so I'm thinking about maybe spiking my tires and trying snow riding this year. I've heard great things about the snowbike kits, but I don't have the dough to put on that right now. Can anyone offer any guidance on this?I have some questions about this I'm hoping people here can help me answer:

Where can you ride near Calgary that is legal and suitable for snow riding with spiked tires this time of year?

Is it even worth using normal tires and adding spikes, or is it only really good with trellbergs?

If add-on spikes are good, what am I looking for to get the best ones? Where?

Is there anything else I'd need to do to my bike to prepare it for snow riding? I have a 350 exc-f, which is a FI 4T.

Can I use some of my ski gear, such as coat, gloves, snowpants, etc. or are there problems using that kind of gear for riding? Will I need a special helmet and googles?

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Riding in snow - Help!

Post by 350scott »

Where can you ride near Calgary that is legal and suitable for snow riding with spiked tires this time of year?
-Out in the Ghost. McLean for some mysterious reason is closed to bikes in the winter.

Is it even worth using normal tires and adding spikes, or is it only really good with trellbergs?
-Lot's of people stud their own tires, but trelleborgs just make it easier.

If add-on spikes are good, what am I looking for to get the best ones? Where?
-You can use ice screws, but for trails they are not near as good as proper carbide studs. Search on the forum for Best Grip.

Is there anything else I'd need to do to my bike to prepare it for snow riding? I have a 350 exc-f, which is a FI 4T.
-Heated grips if you're so inclined.

Can I use some of my ski gear, such as coat, gloves, snowpants, etc. or are there problems using that kind of gear for riding? Will I need a special helmet and googles?
-You could use ski gear but I wouldn't recommend it as you'll likely destroy it. Just use your normal dirt bike gear with extra layers and a proper off-road jacket. Winter riding generally takes more effort, so you will produce lots of body heat. Nothing special with your helmet and goggles, but you will want to make sure you have dual pane lenses for your goggles.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

For clothing the only differences between winter and summer for me are:
Warm Helley Hansen socks
Insulated Wind Proof gloves, not ski gloves. Bass Pro shop had them last year. Carry extra dry gloves
Thermal shirt with a turtle neck under the jersey.
Enduro riding jacket if there is snow on the trees and its near -10c
Usually just wear a riding vest if -5 or above over my thermal shirt and jersey.

Like scott mention, dual plane lens are a must in your goggles, I really sweat a lot winter riding.

I don't have heated grips and find my hands stay plenty warm after 20min of riding, I usually don't ride below -10c.

Ice screws seem like a waste of time and money in my opinion for winter trail riding. Best Grip or Trellie is the way to go, you can always sell them if you change your mind. I find they will last atleast 3 seasons of normal weekly riding.

Get a sand skin for you air filter to keep the fine snow dust from clogging you filter. I saw some at cycle works a couple of weeks ago.
#Z3B

aebbern
Writer
Writer

Post by aebbern »

350scott wrote:McLean for some mysterious reason is closed to bikes in the winter.
Does anyone know the rationale for closing McLean in winter to bikes, but having it open for quads and sleds?

Beta 300RR

Hamel333
User
User

Post by Hamel333 »

Hello everyone. being that my bike decided to catch fire on me, ending my riding season two months early. I'm looking to extend my riding in to the winter. I would also like to try studding my own tires. My ? is what is the best way to line the inside of a studded tire, if I even have to. And what length of stud works best? thanks

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

aebbern wrote:
350scott wrote:McLean for some mysterious reason is closed to bikes in the winter.
Does anyone know the rationale for closing McLean in winter to bikes, but having it open for quads and sleds?
Yes, back in the 70's & 80's the AB Gov. groomed a trail system for Sleds at McLean. Back then there was no such thing as Trellies or Best grip studs so we made our own tires using high grade carriage bolts & nylon lock nuts. the rear used 3/8" x 2" bolts. :D Following a CR500 on a groomed sled trail with these tires was like following a nuclear powered ice cube maker and the roost was like nothing you've ever seen before. :crazy: It also left a very deep and nasty rut in the trail that the sleders weren't thrilled about, so they closed McLean to bikes in the winter - however the last time they groomed a sled trail in McLean was in the late 80's to the best of my knowledge. :canada:

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Hamel333 wrote:Hello everyone. being that my bike decided to catch fire on me, ending my riding season two months early. I'm looking to extend my riding in to the winter. I would also like to try studding my own tires. My ? is what is the best way to line the inside of a studded tire, if I even have to. And what length of stud works best? thanks
If you want to stud your own tire, Best Grip studs are your best option. No need to line the inside just run a heavy duty tube. Just search on the forum, lots of info on stud sizes and tire selections.
#Z3B

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Scott and Alex have it covered, lots of posts to search that cover gear and tires.

Only thing I'd add is that if you get stopped, on a mechanical or injury, having warm dry under layers and gloves, toque, and the ability to make and maintain a fire, could be a lifesaver. And trail selection: some hills become a real challenge with 12" of snow cover. Logs are cake with studs however. :D