Finding a trail help please

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
Xcfjohn
Contributor
Contributor

Finding a trail help please

Post by Xcfjohn »

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. Sorry if this is a stupid or been asked before question but I've seen clips on YouTube of the top of the world trail at Maclean creek . It looks awesome up there how do I get up there what are the trail numbers? I have the paper map I normally park in the staging area near the gravel pit. Could anyone please give me any info of how to get up there thanks for any help john .

Xcfjohn
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Finding a trail help please

Post by Xcfjohn »

Looking at this YouTube clip it's quirk ridge I want to get to
http://youtu.be/mdt7zwY9FLo

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

I tried replying earlier but it failed. :confused: I thought top of the world was named by truck drivers. There are two possible locations as far as I've heard.
  • 1. The very top of Swany's accessible by truck from the south, it's intersection 590.
    2. The other possible location is the very south tip of Horizon North around intersection 64 again, accessible by truck.
    3. If it's quirk you're looking for, it'll be between intersections 616 and 620.
These are both lookout points with a pretty nice view.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

If you purchase a club membership you will receive free of charge a trail names map - only available to club members. That way its very easy to find trails. The trail in the Vid has never been called Top of World. It was made in 1980 for the Accessorist XC race by the notorious Bill Schulz, he first scouted it out in a small plane. He placed a wooden sign at the south end - Swany's ridge.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

trailguy wrote:If you purchase a club membership you will receive free of charge a trail names map - only available to club members. That way its very easy to find trails. The trail in the Vid has never been called Top of World. It was made in 1980 for the Accessorist XC race by the notorious Bill Schulz, he first scouted it out in a small plane. He placed a wooden sign at the south end - Swany's ridge.
I love these little tid bits of singletrack history, thanks for sharing trailguy. :thumbsup:
#Z3B

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

"The Accessorist"

Possibly the best race name ever? :cheers:

twotired
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by twotired »

AJRJ wrote:"The Accessorist"

Possibly the best race name ever? :cheers:
Sounds like a bad day at the mall with my wife... :crazy:

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Okay, I'll bite and I think its okay to highjack this thread as the OP got the info he was looking for. The Accessorist race was named after Bow Cycles parts & accessory department which sponsored the race. It was a long running event in the 70's into the mid 80's and I believe Bill Schulz put them all on. Bill was an absolute mad man and if he didn't make you suffer the entire race or quit before finishing it was an epic failure in his eyes. All the races were like that back in the day as there was approx. 7 or 8 core promoters that were always trying to out do each other with death march races.Every race gave T-Shirts to finishers back then and they were like a badge of honor. Bill was the muskeg king - back then the forestry didn't have an issue with us running races through skeg.....so Bill would run us lengthwise down the gnarliest skeg fields in McLean for miles on end. It was a gong show of bikes sunk everywhere and then Bill and his buddy Bob Hawkins would be hiding in the trees with a camera right where a big log burried in the skeg at a 45 degree angle where you'd be pinned in 3rd gear. :thinking: Good times.
I remember one year after my Maico was pinned in 3rd for the better part of 2 miles in some god awful skeg field, it decided it no longer wanted to do that and the rear hub turned to dust :crazy:
I remember my first Accessorist - Bill ran us up Hawkins Hollow backwards ( an uphill rocky canyon with a creek running down it.) and I wanted to quit that race several times but made it to the finish. As a teenager just getting my feet wet in XC racing, when Bill called me up to get my T-Shirt he shook my hand and said "good job" that felt like I'd just won the Erzberg rodeo. :lol:
A couple of years later,running near the front that day I got to ride Swany's as a virgin trail. It was a very gnarly trail that day. I know it doesn't seem like it could be today, but 34 years of use as opened it up considerably. Bill didn't even ride it when he flagged it. After scouting it in a plane, he walked it with ribbon and a saw.
Hope Bill's still around :canada:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

How times have changed! Thanks for the history lesson.

MarkyMark
Writer
Writer

Post by MarkyMark »

trailguy wrote:If you purchase a club membership you will receive free of charge a trail names map - only available to club members. That way its very easy to find trails. The trail in the Vid has never been called Top of World. It was made in 1980 for the Accessorist XC race by the notorious Bill Schulz, he first scouted it out in a small plane. He placed a wooden sign at the south end - Swany's ridge.

Cool how do I get my Trail names map?

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Either come to the AGM in December or tell us what area of town you frequent and I'll tell you who to contact to pick one up.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

thumpin71
User
User

Post by thumpin71 »

My riding buddies and I called the top of Swanys "quark ridge" for years. I am pretty sure there were maps (from the SRD) years ago that called that "quark" or "quirk" mountain.

Since the RMDRA calls a different trail altogether Quirk, it can be confusing.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

thumpin71 wrote:My riding buddies and I called the top of Swanys "quark ridge" for years. I am pretty sure there were maps (from the SRD) years ago that called that "quark" or "quirk" mountain.

Yes, Swany's is on Quirk Ridge, however if you have a map showing Quirk ridge you'll also see the mountain to the S.E. is called "Quirk Mountain". So in creating the trail names map I thought it would be less confusing to go with the original name given to the first trail made on Quirk ridge - plus the creator installed a wooden sign before the trail was actually ridden for the first time.
Quirk mountain trail didn't really have a name other than a few called it the "look-out", but I thought that could be confusing as well so I just stuck with Quirk MTN trail for that one.

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

This is cool!
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

thumpin71
User
User

Post by thumpin71 »

trailguy wrote:
thumpin71 wrote:My riding buddies and I called the top of Swanys "quark ridge" for years. I am pretty sure there were maps (from the SRD) years ago that called that "quark" or "quirk" mountain.

Yes, Swany's is on Quirk Ridge, however if you have a map showing Quirk ridge you'll also see the mountain to the S.E. is called "Quirk Mountain". So in creating the trail names map I thought it would be less confusing to go with the original name given to the first trail made on Quirk ridge - plus the creator installed a wooden sign before the trail was actually ridden for the first time.
Quirk mountain trail didn't really have a name other than a few called it the "look-out", but I thought that could be confusing as well so I just stuck with Quirk MTN trail for that one.

Cool, thanks for the information!