BAR C / WAIPAROUS

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
Andy
User
User

BAR C / WAIPAROUS

Post by Andy »

I rode Bar C last sunday it was pretty good just about all of the south facing single track by the river is rideable. Mostly dry but with some ice patches and mud in the shaded parts. Also some trails on the north side of the road accessed from the first unloading area are good but also some very icy but rideable single track on the ridges. I had a great day, thanks Lisa of Dirt TV and Dave for showing me the single track that I didn't know. :cheers:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

March 20, 2005

Post by dirtyboy »

Rode 48km of BarC or Blackrock. You know the staging area is behind the big black gate?

Anyway, snow, ice and frozen ground is what we rode. On the way back at around 5pm some of the South facing slopes had turned to mud with a bit of run off water. :banana:

Nice single track way out there.

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

DB, did the Bar C get much snow over this last week? We're back to winter in Banff. The skiing is really good right now, but I'm jonesin to get on my bike. My knees are starting to feel the effects of 50 days in the mtns :crazy:

Did you make it right up to Blackrock?

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

MtnBlue, glad to hear the snow conditions are improving. One of the only weekends we get snow and I am stuck at a 50th birthday party for the mother in-law :crybaby:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

There was about 10 - 15 cm of snow there but it was bare a week ago so it wasn't bad. I think they are still getting snow out there.

Studs or Screws required and even then not too effective in some places. :eek:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

MtnBlue wrote:Did you make it right up to Blackrock?
I didn't know where Blackrock Mountain was before, but now that I've put the GPS trail on a map I can see that we didn't get anywhere near that. We just went down and up the valley where the Ghost river is.

We were about 1km from Banff park. :eek:

Andy
User
User

Post by Andy »

I RODE BAR C TODAY ALL THE WAY UP SIMONS TRAIL AND HALF WAY BACK AGAIN. I HAVE NO STUDS ON MY BIKE, MIKE RICHTER WAS WITH ME ON A 200EXC WHICH IS STUDDED AND WE WERE ABLE TO RIDE THE SAME TRAILS. THERE IS A LOT OF WET SNOW AND ICE IN THERE AND I WAS HAVING A TOUGH TIME ON MY RUBBER ESPECIALLY ON THE WAY BACK AS WE DETOURED ACROSS THE ACCESS ROAD TO A SINGLE TRACK JUST ON THE NORTH OF IT, THERE IS A FOOT OF SNOW IN THERE IN PLACES. BUT IT WAS STILL A BLAST AND GOOD PRACTICE AS THE BIKE WON'T GO ANYWHERE THAT YOU WANT IT TO. IT WAS SO WINDY AT THE FAR END OF THE TRAIL THAT I GOT BLOWN OFF THE BIKE!. A FEW HUNDRED METRES LATER MIKE GOT BLOWN OVER TOO.
STILL A GOOD DAY THOUGH A LITTLE EXTREME!. :cheers:
ANDY

*~'08 300 EXC~*
Vet Junior #11

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Andy,

Sounds like you and Mike had a great time. Thanks for the report. I'm wondering about when to take off the studs. I'm hoping the weather stays warm so I can get onto rubber in the next week or two.

DB :canada:

Andy
User
User

Post by Andy »

I did have a blast on the rubber, I like the kind of riding where your just trying to keep going forward. I grew up riding in England where it rains alot!.But realistically if your going to BARC in the next week or so you will be able to ride a lot more varied terrain with your studs on, I'll probably be back in there next weekend, if you want to go let me know. :cheers:
ANDY

*~'08 300 EXC~*
Vet Junior #11

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Cool. The weather looks like it might be good? but who knows. :canada:

BigD
Writer
Writer

Post by BigD »

I was out there today the snow is melting fast but its deep in some places and icy in spots, definitely still need studs. Nevertheless, had blast cruising around the river in the trees were there was 4-6 inches of snow, power sliding through the corners. Until I hit a stump and ripped my front, caliper right off my bike. Still had fun after that the snow and riding a four stroke help you slow down enough.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

BigD wrote:I hit a stump and ripped my front, caliper right off my bike.

:eek: :eek: That's harsh. Sounds like you are OK. Did the bolts shear off? :confused:

BigD
Writer
Writer

Post by BigD »

dirtboy wrote::eek: :eek: That's harsh. Sounds like you are OK. Did the bolts shear off? :confused:
It broke one of pins that hold the caliper on and the other pin took a piece out of my caliper and slid off, and twisted the brake pads up then got caught in the spokes and pulled it around to the front of the bike. Not a pretty sight, but with some welding, and JB weld it should live. The funny thing is I didnt even get knocked off the bike.

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

I need a ride report from Bar C, we may be going that way on Sunday. Everyone is on rubber (no studs). Just wondering if it's good to go or should we be going to Irricana again(boring). Let me know guy's ,Thanks--WR Dave.
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

The last I heard from guys that were there last weekend was that it was debateable. The guy with studs was happy to have them and the guy with rubber was happy also.

The stud guy mentioned he didn't want to take the risks that the rubber man took. :D

Anyone else have any more recent information? I'm wondering if rubber tires would be good for there on Sunday also.