Waiporous March 14

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
Bruce
Writer
Writer

Waiporous March 14

Post by Bruce »

Went to Waiporous for a quick ride today. Doesn't look like any new snow. Still about a foot at the top of the quad trail we were on but mostly its bare with snow and icy sections in the shaded areas. Truck trails had a few deep spots too at some of the well used sections near the staging area.
Our day was cut short when Mike's Honda fell over on a rock and punched the rear brake pedal through the clutch cover. Sure was a nice sunny day!
'09 Husaberg FE 570
'10 Ducati Multistrada S

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Waiporous March 14

Post by bikingagain »

Thanks to Bruce who was able to tow my poor honda out of the bush. :blush: :nworthy: That Husaberg towed me like it was part tractor. :nworthy: Does anyone have suggestions on which clutch cover to put on? A cost effective one would be great as I got the frown last night when I told the wife. Thanks in advance...

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Depending on the material and damage you may be able to have it welded.

I can personally recommend Derek at Trillion Industries. He has repaired cases for me in the past.
The voices are back. Awesome!

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

Brass wrote:Depending on the material and damage you may be able to have it welded.

I can personally recommend Derek at Trillion Industries. He has repaired cases for me in the past.

Yep Derek is the man when it comes to welding, :thumbsup: or I can make you a custom one for about the price of a new one. Here is 08 Husaberg clutch cover I made, the Bergs are always breaking :lol: He dropped it in he's drive way the day he bought it. :mad:

" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

I wouldn't bother with fixing the old one unless you want a spare. The OEM ones might be extremely light, but that's because they are thin and fragile magnesium. Get a billet aluminum one-SFB, Hinson, Rekluse, Boyesen are readily available and should all meet your needs. I'd buy which ever is the cheapest/easiest to buy. Note: they probably are all bigger than the OEM and will hold a little more oil and require a slight bend out on your brake lever.

If you want I have a nice Rekluse one. $3,500 and I'll throw in a 2005 250x for free.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Post by markvfr »

bikingagain wrote:Thanks to Bruce who was able to tow my poor honda out of the bush. :blush: :nworthy: That Husaberg towed me like it was part tractor. :nworthy: Does anyone have suggestions on which clutch cover to put on? A cost effective one would be great as I got the frown last night when I told the wife. Thanks in advance...
This is what I put on my clutch covers right away when I purchase a bike. Works great, super easy to put on, looks good and is cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CFC-OFFR ... ccessories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

If the broken stocker is made out of magnesium it can't be welded anyway.
The voices are back. Awesome!

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Post by markvfr »

Brass wrote:If the broken stocker is made out of magnesium it can't be welded anyway.
You can JB-weld it and put the CFC Offroad cover on instead. Thats what my buddy did and then rode three years with it with no leaks.

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

markvfr wrote:
Brass wrote:If the broken stocker is made out of magnesium it can't be welded anyway.
You can JB-weld it and put the CFC Offroad cover on instead. Thats what my buddy did and then rode three years with it with no leaks.
I agree with Scott 250, don't JB weld it. JB weld is great for out on the trail to get you home, but you might be 50 k from you truck and have it fail on you. There are many options for inexpensive replacements. If you don't do it for yourself, at least do it for the people you ride with. They may leave you and your JB welded bike in the bush one day.

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Post by markvfr »

rogue wrote:
markvfr wrote:
I agree with Scott 250, don't JB weld it. JB weld is great for out on the trail to get you home, but you might be 50 k from you truck and have it fail on you. There are many options for inexpensive replacements. If you don't do it for yourself, at least do it for the people you ride with. They may leave you and your JB welded bike in the bush one day.
Good points Cal. I was just reporting one instance where it worked well with the cover since its high T siliconed to the damaged stock cover. Its always better to get an undamaged part, but for those that are more frugal, its an option to try. This guy did exactly what you said. Damaged it in the bush, JB welded it, came home, took the cover off cleaned it, made sure it was a decent JB weld job and then siliconed the cover on. No problems. But granted, the hole was tiny so didn't require much JB weld to seal it.

:cheers:

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

Awsome feed back... thanks for all the suggestions. I think the CFC is a great Idea, if only I had one a week ago. I think I will look into a aftermarket one that is affordable. I will maybe fix the old one as a spare. Thanks for the offer Scott for your Rekluse but after working on my bike, I can understand the big orange pumpkin patch out there. And now to bend my brake lever back into shape....

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

I would get Rogue to make you a custom one.You can make your own design.

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

Is there a big difference between Cast aluminum and Machined aluminum for strength?

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

Rogue, I'll take one for my 570. Send me a PM with your price and I'll let you know the graphic scheme. thx.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

Brent wrote:Rogue, I'll take one for my 570. Send me a PM with your price and I'll let you know the graphic scheme. thx.
PM sent