Spinalguy's Porkys XC report 2009

Trail Conditions, talk about a ride that you went on. Where to ride? If are looking to organize or join a ride please post in the "Upcoming Rides and Events" forum.
Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Spinalguy's Porkys XC report 2009

Post by Spinalguy »

What a fantastic evening to drive south from Calgary. i finished work at 6 bells and off to the races i go.
i normally like to stop at 711 in Claresholm for the best chicken wings in Alberta (Sshhh...don't tell everyone!) but
i had a rather large lunch so i held off.
Finally got by that head smashed in place (i love that name :D , its so weird.) and caught up to slower traffic. On the gravel section i decided to pass 3 cars
that moved at a snails pace. The new truck and trailer passed with no problem. Rocco, the now sold motorhome would have passed easily as well but i
would have been whiteknuckling it :lol:
i caught up to some race traffic and decided to just mellow and enjoy the scenery.

i arrived safely to the race site. It was still light out and that is a good thing when setting up camp in a new trailer. Now when i say new, i mean 'new
to me' as the truck is a 12v 97 CTD and the trailer is a 99 Komfort. The bike is new though...09 Berg 450. Anyways, some friends saved me a spot and i
eased her into the new view for the weekend. By the way, Recession? i think not by judging the most trailers and motorhomes i have ever seen gather at any race.
Maybe gas is cheap?

That night saw a few bevys consumed but not too many as we had a 10:30 ish start for riding loop 1. Sat am arrived and it was warm. i remember that Cladoo said the temp had risen 9 deg from 8-9am. Today was going to be good. We waited for Little L and buds that were camped elsewhere. Finally, we got going. We headed in the direction of the first loop only to be
asked if we could not ride it as it needed to see no traffic before the race. We happily complied and set off for the 2nd loop. Thank darn as Loop 1 was a bear during the race.
i think 11 riders joined up to cruise the 50kms.

We arrived back to bbq up some snacks and check the bikes for any last minute maintainence. Later was dinner which always is a Feast when camping.
What happenned next still leaves me speechless...well almost :smirk: Aaron B builds a STEAM room in the middle of nowhere porcupine hills. :crazy:
i did not use it that night but i did marvel at his MacGuyver skills.

Early to bed.

RACE DAY
Very sunny and Very warm
Things started well until 2 classes before my start saw a friend hit the ground hard and not get up. Its a little tough to see a rider down causing delays and yet still keep
your head into the game. Fortunately, the rider was 'just' concussed and the show must go on.
There are 23 riders in my class. The gun goes and luckily, i secure position #7. Ahead of me that i know for sure are #5 Brennan and #6 thirtyseven. We get to the first small H2O
crossing and down goes Brennan for an early swim. He must have been to hot and needed to cool off :D i get by him and thirtyseven. i passed a couple more and at one point i am by myself and think i am sitting 2nd :thinking: i come to "Jason's Hill" and one of my competitors prior to the start had warned me to stay left. Fortunately i had ridden this same hill 1 year earlier and stayed left as straight up made for great pics once i was up there. i remember seeing riders sprawled all over the hill and one guy coming down from the left side yelling at me to go up the middle. Forget that! i am going left and clean it...woo hoo. i think this is where i thought i may have now been #1, 2 or 3. (of course this is where i THOUGHT i was)
MT darn GEYSER was next. Now what was weird is that as i am making my way down a single groove towards Mt Geyser, there are more guys making their way back up towards me. What the heck is going on??? i let Gary Taylor use my front tire as traction to get by me as i need to get by him too. i arrive at the Mountain of ICE to see Cladoo heading towards me asking if i saw the 'punch' station. Ahhhh, all these guys missed the check stop. How? i have no idea but there were a lot of them and i am sure it changed the course of results because of such a HUGE mistake.
Mt Geyser. What a CRAPshow. And what a crapshoot. LUCK and TIMING decided some positions on that hill. i had neither. The Berg had no problem climbing until i caught up to many riders that were going nowhere...fast! It sucked to wait and see fellow competitors go by on lines that had opened up for them but not me. i tried many variations but ultimately settled on changing my map setting to low and slowly zig zagging, bushwhacking to the top. Minimal energy expended but TOO much time lost.
i hooked up with some fast riders and tried to make time up. Have i mentioned my pet peeve?
NUMBERS and COLORS on the front and sides of bikes would be so HELPFUL!!!!!!! :mad: Luckily i spoke with the guy with BLUE numbers before the race to know he was in my class but man it sucks that you try to pass guys that hold you off and than when you yell at them to let them know you are Vet Jr, they let you by. Anyways :nopity:
A few of us got lost 4 times and i will now live to great campfire advise i received later. If you do not see a flag within 400 yards of previous flag. STOP. turn around. go find flag!
Grrrrrrrrrr :blush:
i arrive back at the gas stop and know i am behind the leaders...7 of them.lol.
The 2nd loop was the fastest i have ever rode a bike in any race. It felt so good to let that Berg fly. i diced it out with 2 Vet Sr's but did not know it as we all have the same plate/number colors. But once i got by i saw they were sporting the new S on the front plate. Oh well :lol:
i finished 6th out of 23. The 8th place finisher was 1.5 hours later than me. So, i guess i did allright.
Congrats to all my fellow racers. It was much fun. The LMC did a great job with the course.
Back at camp was food, booze, food, booze and a steam room, than more booze, campfire hopping, booze and sleep!

And the drive back Monday in the rain

You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Spinalguy's Porkys XC report 2009

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Thanks for another good write-up Spinalguy! :thumbsup:
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

Carter
User
User

Post by Carter »

Great write up Tom. This was my first race and I really enjoyed the challenge. I am one of the guys with BLUE numbers...my buddy was bringing the electrical tape and it ended up being blue (I was on the white KTM). I think you and I got lost a few times together; I lead you down the dirt rode only to turn around and you lead us somewhere else...oh well. I'd like to say that cost me the win but that just isn't the case. :cheers:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

ha,ha,ha...that's funny. There must have been a sale on blue electric tape because i thought you were the 'other' blue plated guy. :lol:
Glen, that was near the end of the first loop that we swapped positions to find the course again. That was a tad frustrating. Didn't you and i get to the gas area at the same time? Did you do the next loop?
Good to see you out there. Your Mom was in yesterday and said you spent a fair bit of time on Mt. Geyser waiting on a bud. i was waiting on no one but did spend a fair bit of time there as well. :cheers:
Hope to see you out at more races this season.
Tk

PS. RMDRA members placed 3,4,5,6 in this XC. thirtyseven was 3rd :applause:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

LID
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LID »

How'd the trailer ride after lifting it?
Mark Williams
2016 500EXC

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

Nice Write up Tom, sounds like it was a hoot. :thumbsup:
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

Carter
User
User

Post by Carter »

Tom, that was you and I that swapped positions at the end. We did come into the gas area together. Me, being totally inexperienced in XC racing, thought that I would have enough gas to do both loops, so I did not leave gas out, what made me think that I would be different from everyone else, I don't know. To make a long story short, I wan't prepared properly. I had to go back to my truck to fill my tank (2/3 empty), had no more water since my camel back was drained an hour into the race and I was exhausted. I had to wait for my buddy to help him through all the same mistakes I made. I regret not finishing the second loop becuase it sounds like it was much faster. At the time, I was thinking the second loop was going to be the same as the first and I just didn't have it in me.

I will redeem myself. :thumbsup:

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

Awesome! Thanks for posting! I had wanted to join but just couldn't make it happen.

Bark

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

LID wrote:How'd the trailer ride after lifting it?
Awesome. it pulled straight and true!

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

Nice report SG! I was having a good race up till I found that I missed the first punch! I still don't know where I turned wrong. :confused:
After that I kinda of went downhill with my race crashing way too many times :blush: My right arm is black and blue from the elbow to the wrist and my left thumb is still swollen from Saturday's tumble. I could tell I haven't raced for so long it showed in my performance. A big thanks to Brennan225 for helping me up the ice hill and "advising" the young rider behind me as to what he should have done! Good one Sean :applause:
Thanks for the pics, here are a couple that Joan took.
A good view of how many people were out for the event, there were many more camped all over.
Waiting at the start, hoping Jason was okay.
Super Vet Start
Claude

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Nice reports fellas! :applause:

SG's little tiny J on his number plate is great. :smirk:

And then there is BigR, wheeling away trying to make up for senior reflexes. :eek:

It looks like rockymountainracer's reflexes were spot on. :nworthy:

I love start pictures. :D

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Awesome!

Man were there a lot of trailers down for the weekend :crazy:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

DB, you like that. :lol:

Joan, great pics. i may 'borrow' them for my PB Album. Nice camera :)

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Spinalguy wrote:DB, you like that. :lol:
What I'm saying is that no one will see that unless they are using binoculars. And since most racers don't use binoculars during the race..........

Okay, I'll just say it. That letter J is a joke. :loser: :jump:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

It is a tad small...
But at least i have the J on all 3 plates. A big red J means nothing to every rider behind you if the J can't be seen from the side.
i think different backgrounds and color #'s solves it all...maybe next year. :)