two bikes that need attention

If you are looking for something post it here.
d4rk5trok3r
Writer
Writer

two bikes that need attention

Post by d4rk5trok3r »

Hiya,

I have two bikes sitting not moving, and I have zero time to touch them.

One is a 06' 450x that had the valves replaced, and I haven't got it shimmed properly or something, as it wont fire up. This has an appointment to go to a shop June 1, incase anyone on here has a desire for some side cash to get it going

The other is a 1980 gs550, that needs carb tuning / adjustment, if no advice or leads on this, it will maybe get an appointment at tj's cycle, or just sold as is, for really cheap!

Thanks, for any and all replies!

kawasakijockey
Writer
Writer

Re: two bikes that need attention

Post by kawasakijockey »

hmmm how much for the gs 550? could always use another project to anger the wife

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

On the 450x, make sure you have the cam chain on correct. If you're off by one tooth it'll never start. Also, recheck your shim's. Lastly, if it's been sitting for quite awhile pull the carb and clean it up.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

d4rk5trok3r
Writer
Writer

Post by d4rk5trok3r »

wow, love this forum, increase the log in time perhaps, just lost a huge reply!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

d4rk5trok3r wrote:wow, love this forum, increase the log in time perhaps, just lost a huge reply!
There is no time limit on a posts editing time. I just checked the setting to be sure and it is unlimited. I'm sorry but It must have been something else that caused you to loose your post. If the forum went down, or the posting upload timed out it could cause it to be lost. If this is the case, often by using the back button you can regain the edit screen with your post to copy and paste, however please check for duplicate posts should this occur.

d4rk5trok3r
Writer
Writer

Post by d4rk5trok3r »

all good, it just forced me to learn how to use the draft function once I thought I got a little windy!

d4rk5trok3r
Writer
Writer

Post by d4rk5trok3r »

oh, and thanks for the nudge to DIY Scott.. had it booked at an un-named shop for Friday, but when I called to ask if I could drop it off today as I worked tomorrow, they said sure. But, once I got there...they told me it would sit outside as they have no room, and for me to lock it up myself..... Needless to say I was super impressed with the quality service, and took my bike home and fixed it myself. I was pretty sure that the service department, is in the business of service and providing service...unlike the treatment I received, whereas I was being done a favour by paying them $250 min. for a valve adjust! PM if you care for more details, or are in the exclusive BIG RED brand of dirt bike sales in Calgary. Guess dirt bikes dealers are just like cars, the service always seems to kill the sales!