Best Grip Studs

If you are looking for something post it here.
AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Best Grip Studs

Post by AJRJ »

Looking for Some Best grip studs. If you have some or know where the best place to get some is, please let me know. Looking for "rear" ones, preferably.

I'm dying to get out and roost up some of these drifts!

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Best Grip Studs

Post by malcolmzilla »

I believe Bow Cycle carries them.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Thanks for the Bow tip. Best grips economics don't work out, even with some free tires to stud. $1 ea = more than the price of trellies, especially if you stud a dirt shark right up. Lucky for me, I scored a set of used trellies in great shape. Santa though, informed me after I mentioned the purchase, that I will be recieving coal and little else for Christmas :crybaby:

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

AJRJ wrote:..Santa though, informed me after I mentioned the purchase, that I will be recieving coal and little else for Christmas :crybaby:
:lol: Did you really need another Christmas sweater :)
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

250mark1
User
User

Post by 250mark1 »

Trellie winter tires have been discontinued according to the mfg.'s us website ( they are blowing them out but won't ship to Canada )
I just brought studs in from the us distrubtor for a buck a stud shipped and delivered with no customs fees on us postal
Took about 10 days to arrive nice thing about studs is you can remove them and reinstall them in a new tire
Can't weight to try them have been using the screws for the last few years

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

JSYK, MX 1 Is Canadian Mitas distributor. $580 to your door for f/r trellies. They are on sale here too, just not quite the discounts they are giving in the states. Best grips do have an advantage, they are way easier to mount. I was hoping to get the studs closer to $0.70 ea. like they were on sale here for last year. I would still be interested in a deal like that sometime in the future, as these tires won't last forever. :D

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

AJRJ wrote:JSYK, MX 1 Is Canadian Mitas distributor. $580 to your door for f/r trellies. They are on sale here too, just not quite the discounts they are giving in the states. Best grips do have an advantage, they are way easier to mount. I was hoping to get the studs closer to $0.70 ea. like they were on sale here for last year. I would still be interested in a deal like that sometime in the future, as these tires won't last forever. :D
They are sold out in canada and the states.

Scott I want my tires back! I'll offer $250. Limited time offer too so don't waste time thinking about it.

Zeal
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zeal »

I have a set of best grips mounted and for sale. There is only one catch, you have to buy the bike too.

Buy and ride... who's interested :D
08 GasGas (That's the Brand fool!)
250 EC

#999 Int.

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Zeal wrote:I have a set of best grips mounted and for sale. There is only one catch, you have to buy the bike too.

Buy and ride... who's interested :D
How much. I'll give you $750.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

madhatter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by madhatter »

I'm also looking for some studs....
Live at Chestermere and have about a km ride on some pavement and gravel to get onto ice,being street legal is a wonderful thing!
I have mounted tires with gold screws,a cheap ice screw that does not seem to last,sparks up great on bare pavement tho!
Looking for a better stud/screw that can withstand the km ride to the ice and still give good traction on the race loops here.
Probably going to grab another rear tire with harder compound too....
2009 KTM 530EXC

BigR
Writer
Writer

Post by BigR »

I think GW Cycle is working on getting in some Best Grip studs.
I have no enlightening quips

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

madhatter wrote:I'm also looking for some studs....
Live at Chestermere and have about a km ride on some pavement and gravel to get onto ice,being street legal is a wonderful thing!
I have mounted tires with gold screws,a cheap ice screw that does not seem to last,sparks up great on bare pavement tho!
Looking for a better stud/screw that can withstand the km ride to the ice and still give good traction on the race loops here.
Probably going to grab another rear tire with harder compound too....
Bow Cycle does carry Gripstuds. For what you want though they likely will not be the answer. Gripsuds stand out from the tire like trellies ~1/2" or so, and aren't really reccommended for bare ice, never mind pavement. And even a km on pavement each way will quickly shred the studs that have the weight of you, your bike, and that christmas turkey on 10 or 20 pin heads at any one time. May work for a while but I would bet you would be disappointed with the lifespan of your $700 investment. Though like Ice screws you can replace the worn ones.

Studs like this http://www.maxigripstore.com/motorcycle/ may last longer, but may not work as well in snow,ice and logs as other types. Just a hunch though, based on how they look, as I don't know anybody that actually has these. Hope that helps.

madhatter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by madhatter »

While we are on the subject anybody know a bike dealer in Calgary that has stock of a hard compound tire to mount ice studs in?
The Kenda Trackmaster I mounted the gold ice screws into seems to be a bit on the soft side,lost a few....
The whole riding to the lake is a big curve ball it seems to mounting any studs but carbide tips should withstand abuse from a little pavement and gravel better than the screws I have been using...
Guess I can keep buying the cheap ones and just keep replacing worn or thrown ones....
2009 KTM 530EXC