HELP! Thread insert - helicoil

If you are looking for something post it here.
Bandito

HELP! Thread insert - helicoil

Post by Bandito »

Here's my tragic story:
When tightening a the foot rest bolt on my older Suzuki, I managed to snap the bolt off in the frame (I know better than to apply that much pressure without my torque wrench - major grumbling at that point). So I go to use an extractor and that snaps off in the bolt! (hardened steel inside a sheared bolt - now swearing at this point). After several hours of dremel/colbalt bit drilling I have managed to open the hole but not before stripping the original threads.

I could re-tap this to the next bigger size but it would require some modifications to the footrest mount. Instead I would rather insert a helicoil as the repair. I really don't want to but an expensive kit for this single repair.

Is there anyone out there with a metric helicoil kit that could spare a few minutes and a single helicoil to help out a fellow biker. Beers would be involved as would plenty of fine discussion about motorcycles. You could even meet a potential new riding buddy!

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Rod
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: HELP! Thread insert - helicoil

Post by Rod »

Hopefully someone will have something for you, but if not, you can probably get the size you need at Triad. I bought a few odd sizes a while ago (i.e. a few years ago), and I believe they just let me buy the number I needed.

Triad Fasteners
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 7613,d.aWc
'13 KTM 250 xc

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

I have a m10 x 1.25 if that will work.
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

Bandito

Post by Bandito »

Thanks for the responses. The original bolt was a M8 1.25. My fallback position is to retap to an M10 but it would require be to drill out the footrest assembly a little - the walls are already a little thin so I'm a little leery about pulling out the drill. It might be the easiest solution though - I may take you up on your offer bikingagain.

I will check out Triad (thanks Rod) but of principal, I'd like to think I'm a better wrencher that to require a helicoil set - implies I break bolts often . That said I've been banging my head against the garage wall every time I look at that part. I know waaaaay better than to crank the bolt without my torque wrench...

I'll keep you guys posted how my battle goes.

Cheers!

Dan

noenegdod
User
User

Post by noenegdod »

Just checked my set and I only have 12mm and larger. Sorry.

This doesnt fix your problem and it isnt always possible/practical but thought Id throw it out there anyway.

Threaded holes in frames, cases, engine blocks are always subject to damage every time a fastener is threaded into the hole. On my cars that came apart all the time, many threaded holes would get a stud. Sometimes they would get loctite, sometimes not, depending on where it was and what it was doing.

I seem to have gotten lazy with the bikes now and havnt done this with them but if you always keep the threads clean (chase them if you have to), lubricated (less wear, easier threading and less corrosion), change the fastener every few times, and only use 1/4" short handle drivers :lol: youll tend to be a lot happier.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Always clean bolt threads with a wire brush (brass brush works well). If I am not using locktite I always use some anti-sieze
#Z3B

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Checked my stash, only have 1 M10 and a few M6. Sorry.

I think purchased the M6 set at Gregg Distributors or Calgary Fastener, for just a few dollars ($20ish). I believe there were 6 coils in the set along with the insert tool and tap. Since M8 is pretty common, you may end up using a few more in the future.
The voices are back. Awesome!

Bandito

Post by Bandito »

Thanks for all the input folks!

I did indeed check Gregg's and they have a M8 set for about $30. I can deal with that.

This episode has been a lesson to listen to my instincts: I thought the threads were a little too dirty AND I felt the torque building just before the bolt gave. Ironically I'm really good at cleaning old loctite from threads with the appropriate size tap or die, AND I have two different torque wrenches depending on the size of the job. This was just a great example of how a momentary lapse in judgement cost me many hours of my time. Luckily this problem will get resolved for fairly cheap.

Feel free to bug me about it when you see me on the trails - I deserve it!

Dan