Fallen Timber race Aug 17-18

Work days, Race Volunteers, Questions and Discussion about the races that the RMDRA promotes.
AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Fallen Timber race Aug 17-18

Post by AJRJ »

Zeal wrote:Does anyone know how many beginners dnf'd? It seemed a bit long for beginners.
4/6 beginners dnf'd. Sorry, had to wait for the results to come up on AMSA website.

The two guys that finished were super pumped, of course so were a couple of the guys we helped get out too :D

bfdirect
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bfdirect »

I had a great time doing the race!

It was one of the most difficult things I have done on a bike. I was absolutely done when I came across the finish line. I felt like I won just finishing the race which I completed in exactly 4.00 hours including getting lost 3 times (once for at least 30 minutes). My odometer read 74.7 KM's at the finish line so those extra KM's did not do me any favours in the gas situation!

I knew I was in trouble when I had to put reserve on my tank at the 45 KM marker. I turned bike off at every downhill section just to conserve. I honestly did not think I was making it out. When I did get my helmet scanned at finish I literally ran out 10 feet after the finish line!

Overall it was a great experience for this motocrosser. I though I was doing good when I was in the lead after coming up the hill under the bridge, then my excitement made me miss the first turn for the river crossing. Once I figured I screwed up I tried making uptime by pinning it up the hill only to hit a tree while pinned in third gear. I messed up my hand and could not feel it but rather than accept defeat I shook it off and got back on determined to finish the race albeit at a much more calm and collected pace.

Oh and by the way out of the 4 BFD guys that entered the race only 2 of us completed it and..........that's right this old guy beat them all! Haha. Well at least I have bragging rights until next time.

It was great to meet many of you guys and shoot the sludge after the races which was one of the best parts of the day.
Dean Thompson
BlackfootDirect.com
GM/Owner
403-214-2850
dean@blackfootdirect.com

Suzanne
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Suzanne »

Dean! You raced it! That's so AWESOME!! Congrats for finishing, you rock! :cheers:
Mrs. Wildman

rock933
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rock933 »

AJRJ wrote:
kingrigger wrote:For sure takes a lot of effort to put on a race but that was one of the worst races I've ever done, haven't heard of to many bikes with stock tanks being able to go 60km, not sure why you'd use so much cut block, it doesn't make it tough to ride through, it makes a ride frustrating and boring, especially when there are so many trails that connect out there and flow nice, the flagging didn't make a lot of sense and still scratching my head at the dead check half way down a hill and turn right after it, never seen that before. The course had some strong points but I didn't find it enjoyable at all.
Sorry you feel that way, hope it doesn't keep you from coming out again. I mentioned elsewhere that there are definitely things I would do differently next time. I take the blame for the loop being too long, but there was a method to what we were doing there. The only way to link up the singletrack (that I'm aware of) is to use the quad trail. Last year there was too much quad trail, and we heard about that. The flagging was definitely all there, I was the last sweeper on the course. I could tell by the tracks though that the "groove" went past at least 10 or so ribbons. We will try to put more effort into the cut blocks next year; This year we spent the majority of the time working on new singletrack, than we did linking those sections together.

The turn at the dead check was me as well. I thought at least if people were stopping to punch they wouldn't keep trail hounding their way down the hill. That whole loop could have been cut off quite easily, maybe that's what I should have done.

I can't believe people complained about last years race I thought it was the best race course ever just endless flowing trails. The cut blocks will be good once they get worked in and cleaned up a bit. Good job on another great race.