Fallen Timber race Aug 17-18

Work days, Race Volunteers, Questions and Discussion about the races that the RMDRA promotes.
primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Re: Fallen Timber race Aug 17-18

Post by primerib72 »

My only complaint was the pie plates with distance notifications......when I saw the 35km one I was a little discouraged because it felt like I have done 50 at that point :lol: wouldn't exactly call that a complaint either.

I like the gnarly stuff......especially the hill climbing sections. It's even better when you ride a good chunk of the course with the club hillbilly.
CR250R

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Sounds like every other Dirty or Dirtier Moose...very challenging. Hats off to all who entered and high fives to those that finished. Hopefully I can make it in 2014 if we are lucky enough to have another. :nworthy:
Bikeless....

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Sorry for not showing up to sweep. Found out not being covered by insurance would likely prevent it from happening anyways.

As for the riding, I think it's bang on that our riding isn't easy. If it's a 60-80-100km loop expect it to be challenging most of the time. I think thats a given for our area. I'm sure many found it to be challenging, while those who knew what our riding is like found it rewarding and fun. Really wish I could have raced it.

MX bikes and XC races??? Get a tank that does XC distances and stop complaining.

golarge
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by golarge »

To all the volunteers that worked on this course and the race. You can't please everyone, no matter how hard you try. Be proud of a HUGE job well done.
Yup. Got a new one.

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Post by primerib72 »

Shibby! wrote:MX bikes and XC races??? Get a tank that does XC distances and stop complaining.
I have used my stock tank for X-Country and harescramble races all the time without worries. Normally 60kms is no problem for YZ tank and I will have fuel to spare. Out in a place like Kooc I could get more because is all 3rd and 4th gear stuff....this race was something different entirely. I seen first hand KTM xc bikes ran out of gas too.
CR250R

Grimlock
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Grimlock »

Overall, I thought the loop was great. Well, the 40km or so of it I rode before I punched a hole in my radiator when I got lost. :lol:

I ended up having to ride the road to the 587 and then back up the 40 to the start. Not my best showing at all.

The terrain wasn't as gnarly as Shale Shaker, but was very technical which is the kind I definitely prefer. I am definitely looking forward to next year. Two years in a row of DNF's isn't sitting well. :lol:

After making it back to the tent I was one of the people that complained about the course marking being not so great. I want to appologize for that. I looked back at my helmet cam footage and saw the exact point where I missed the turn and ended up off course. It was well ribboned but I must have been riding with my eyes closed.

AJRJ definitely stepped up and put on an awesome race with the help of a lot of awesome volunteers. Hopefully if changes are going to be made, they will be minimal. I really enjoyed the terrain and am pretty confident I would have had no fuel issues with the distance if I didn't cripple my machine. :D

:cheers:
#826A

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

I would like to add that this was the first time for me to sweep. In so doing, I was exposed at a very high level to the amount of behind the scenes stuff that happens on race day.

When a person shows up to race/participate, I don't think all of us collectively understand just how much goes on from the organizer point of view. They work their fanny's off! So, a very big thanks to Geoff and his team. And, a big thanks to all those folks out there (they know who they are) who have done this in past and who continues to do this year in, year out. Our riding live's have been enriched from your efforts.

Cheers,
Aaron

5Lgreenback
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 5Lgreenback »

primerib72 wrote:
Shibby! wrote:MX bikes and XC races??? Get a tank that does XC distances and stop complaining.
I have used my stock tank for X-Country and harescramble races all the time without worries. Normally 60kms is no problem for YZ tank and I will have fuel to spare. Out in a place like Kooc I could get more because is all 3rd and 4th gear stuff....this race was something different entirely. I seen first hand KTM xc bikes ran out of gas too.
My YZ made it to to around 52km of that loop, and that was with a few km of wrong turn/ detours in the mix. If I had have stayed on track I might have just made it, however the last 10km I drove very conservatively to try and save fuel, turned off the engine on long down hills etc. My buddies YZ ran out of gas shortly after 35km, large part of it is riding style and jetting/ tuning I suppose. Ill be taking 1-2 powerade bottles in my camelback for any future races beyond 45km, lesson learned! However most racers (more experienced than myself) I've talked to have stated never needing a tank larger than stock in the races they participated in.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

5Lgreenback wrote:
primerib72 wrote:
My YZ made it to to around 52km of that loop, and that was with a few km of wrong turn/ detours in the mix. If I had have stayed on track I might have just made it, however the last 10km I drove very conservatively to try and save fuel, turned off the engine on long down hills etc. My buddies YZ ran out of gas shortly after 35km, large part of it is riding style and jetting/ tuning I suppose. Ill be taking 1-2 powerade bottles in my camelback for any future races beyond 45km, lesson learned! However most racers (more experienced than myself) I've talked to have stated never needing a tank larger than stock in the races they participated in.
I raced MX bikes for years and never had issues with fuel. I am a rather robust individual that rides on the gas too. You need to be aware of how much gas you lose as the bike is laying on its side. I remember numerous occasions where i was trapped under the bike and trying to get the fuel shut off, or wheezing from having the wind knocked out and fumbling for that fuel shut off just so I could finish a race. Knowing your bike and it's capabilities is a big part of racing. I know that a KTM 300XC is only good to me for 80km, therefore I would pack gas whenever I rode it with Dirtyboy. :blush:

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Regarding fuel loss through the carb bowl overflow, the needle will bounce and unseat even with the fuel level above the float and the float height correct, leading to overflow losses. I have looped the bowl overflow line from under the carb, out front, back over top and then down and out the swingarm area. This has noticeablely improved my singletrack fuel economy. I suspect that's a large part why the FI bikes do so much better: no overflow losses. Not sure how much it assists if the the bike is on its side often tho... :D

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Post by primerib72 »

Dobi wrote:You need to be aware of how much gas you lose as the bike is laying on its side
Yup. My bike was upsidedown for quite a while....twice. A few navigation errors added to the fuel compsumption and it was fairly hot too so most people don't account for that. Also you get worse fuel economy the hotter the ambient temperature are. I could have done the race with the stock tank but I know I am prone to crashing. Alot.
Dobi wrote:I would pack gas whenever I rode it with Dirtyboy. :blush:
That is how I found out the fuel capabilities of my bike.
CR250R

bradlindy
User
User

Post by bradlindy »

My experience at the 2013 RMDRA Fallen Timber race.
As this was the second race I have ever done (first being 2013 shale shaker), I am not a seasoned vet by any means.

What I expected from the race:
-the course to be technical and demanding
-to lose track of the ribbons occasionally (I did about 4 to 6 times)
-to crash or eject from the bike (I did about 5 to 9 times)
-to be passed by better/faster riders (lost count)
-to be tired and exhausted at the end
-to have fun and ride some new trails, but also to suffer through some stuff that I may not like

The end result:
-I completed the course in 3.5 hours, and was super PUMPED!
-chased Axle99 and primerib around…at least I occasionally saw them anyway
-found out I was disqualified as I missed the checkpoint (oops)
-felt super bummed out that I DQ’ed
-then realized that Graham Jarvis DQ’ed at the Erzberg enduro…so (I can't type without swearing. The word that I used is one of GC's 7 words that you can not say on television.) happens and keep on riding!

Thanks to everyone that put the long hours in to make this race happen!

5Lgreenback
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 5Lgreenback »

Yeah there might have been a couple incidences where my bike ended up on its side, or stuck practically vertical in a rut :blush:

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

primerib72 wrote:
Many people have them jetted overly rich.

I did 59K this weekend and still had LOTS of fuel. I believe I could do 100 without fuel. I don't ride on the pipe though and let off the brakes on down hills =) That's usually where I close in on people. I am easy on the gas. More so than most for sure. The key is to not slow down so you don't need more gas to speed up! =)

Stock KTM XC gas tank.

I believe 38 pilot, 2nd on NECJ needle, and ... I think 138 main. Gnarly, powercore. Soon to be SX head.

Sounds like the majority of people had fun except those who didn't expect our terrain type. Can't please everybody!

Zeal
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zeal »

It was clear that a lot of effort went into that course. It was good to connect some sections on the east side.

Does anyone know how many beginners dnf'd? It seemed a bit long for beginners.
08 GasGas (That's the Brand fool!)
250 EC

#999 Int.