The More Dirtier Moose

Work days, Race Volunteers, Questions and Discussion about the races that the RMDRA promotes.
Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

The More Dirtier Moose

Post by Dobi »

There has been so much hubbub and fear mongering about the loops for the More Dirtier Moose that I felt the need to clarify the course and the difficulty level.

The expert kids loop on Saturday is a beautiful loop that will be no more difficult than previous years loops. It will use some of last years course, some of the CMA race from 2 weekends ago, and some old courses from years gone by.

On Sunday, we will all head out on a 50km loop that will look a lot like last years larger loop with some new sections of mint old school and fresh singletrack. This will re-use a small portion of the Saturday loop as we all make our way back to the start field. This loop is very ride able by a B rider and beginner, but will be a challenge, just like a cross country should be. We will have a cut-off point at the road, just like we did last year for those that are spent and don’t want to finish the loop.

The second loop is an entirely new loop for the Moose and has been built by the blood and sweat of some die-hard race fans and volunteers. There is no hoop of fire, dukes of hazard creek crossing jump, bulldog hills, or death climbs (they made me take them out). The loop is 44km long with some nice new ridges, some regrowth cutblocks and a bit of easy stuff to help you make it all the way back in one piece. The loop has been cleared and will be a great ride for those privileged to make the cut-off to proceed. The cut-off time has not been decided yet (still waiting for Hendrix 13 to post his lap time) but will be fair to ensure the top 30/40B guys will get a clear shot at it.

We rode the second loop in May prior to the trail ever seeing a chainsaw and yes it was tough, and some grown men may have cried, but the trail now has ebb and flow and very few log crossings. Nothing to fear here. This loop will make a great long term loop to ride in the future once it gets beat in.

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: The More Dirtier Moose

Post by 350scott »

I'll second Dobi's comments. If you liked the main loop from the last couple years, you'll like the first Sunday loop, as it's really just an improved version of previous years. If you're worried about the second Sunday loop, don't be. I was able to get through it, before clearing, and other B-riders have ridden it without crying for their mommy. The only thing people doing both loops should worry about is how many beers they had on Saturday night (unless you're Hendrix13, then you should have other worries). It's an XC, so it's a bit longer than your normal evening ride. I predict even Mr. Schrage should be considering a Gilligan's tour. Hmm, wonder if Jason would bet $500 on being able to finish in under 3 hours on a CRF150R?
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

timbruce
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by timbruce »

The only additional thing that could be added is it is a fun loop. Great job to every body involved in getting this course together. :thumbsup:

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

timbruce wrote:The only additional thing that could be added is it is a fun loop. Great job to every body involved in getting this course together. :thumbsup:
x2 had a blast on it, thanks guys. :thumbsup:
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

calltrex
Writer
Writer

Post by calltrex »

the beginner loop

how long is it? time

1 lap?

never done anything like this. just got back into biking after 12yrs

Brenan225
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Brenan225 »

There is no Beginner loop. You will go out on the same course as everyone else. I expect the first loop to be somewhere around 45k. Everyone will do one lap - if you make it around before the cut-off time, you will go out on the other 40K loop. We have not determined the cut off time yet. If you have been on the guided rides at Mclean Creek then you can do the Dirty Moose. See you on Sunday!
Resist, Insist,and Persist

singletrack
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by singletrack »

My knowledge of racing is based on Youtube clips, but that sounds like a whole lot of amazing work to set that up. Great job everyone!!! :nworthy:
Attachments
be2fb-b320a_chuck_norris_approved.gif
(2.26 MiB) Downloaded 1201 times

Grimlock
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Grimlock »

Dobi wrote:There is no hoop of fire, dukes of hazard creek crossing jump, bulldog hills, or death climbs (they made me take them out).
This seems very interesting. Was this part of past races? Would be fun to try once even though I would never make it over in one piece! :lol:
#826A

Zook
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zook »

You guys got some press for the race. Aug. 15 Cochrane Eagle, page 53. Be sure to pick it up if you're in town.
http://www.cochraneeagle.com/2012/08/ra ... ier-moose/
Brendan Nagle
04 DRZ400e
Me and tools have an understanding: If I don't use them, they don't break my stuff.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Zook wrote:You guys got some press for the race. Aug. 15 Cochrane Eagle, page 53. Be sure to pick it up if you're in town.
That is a good article
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

absurveyor
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by absurveyor »

Great Article Zook!
'If you can't be fast at least look cool"- Absurveyor circa 1992

twotired
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by twotired »

Zook wrote:You guys got some press for the race. Aug. 15 Cochrane Eagle, page 53. Be sure to pick it up if you're in town.
Great article! :applause: I love to see this kind of publicity for the RMDRA and the sport as well. Now if only we could get
this race a spot on the six o'clock news, perhaps an on site reporter, that would be sweeeeeeeeeeet! :canada:
“For the average, middle-of-the-pack guy; I’m expecting it to take about five hours,” Brenan speculated.
Yup, me too. I'm gearing up for another 5 hour adventure. :thumbsup:
The beginner and the women’s classes will only have to do one loop of the demanding single-track course, with an option for a second based on how quickly they finish the first.
This includes everyone right? I mean if you finish the first loop and for one reason or another (time cutoff, mechanical, exhaustion, or otherwise...) you can't (or won't) continue, regardless of the class you are racing you are still credited with a finish - you just finish behind anyone who completed the second loop. This is usually how it's done, I just want to clarify this for any new racers.
Brennan225 - We have not determined the cut off time yet.
I'd like to vote for a 3 hour cutoff. I understand some of the reasons for implementing a 2 1/2 hour cutoff, however if a racer is willing and able to continue and the weather is good I say let them! There is an amazing sense of accomplishment that comes to those for whom this applies if they dig deep to find the determination to finish every last inch of this difficult race...and then do so. I say give them the opportunity. Afterall, we've got the almighty thirtyseven sweeping the race and I'm sure he would agree, he's all about reaching difficult goals and epic memories! :canada:

Excited I am. :cheers:

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Nice job :applause: :canada: :applause:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

twotired wrote:
Great article! :applause: I love to see this kind of publicity for the RMDRA and the sport as well. Now if only we could get
this race a spot on the six o'clock news, perhaps an on site reporter, that would be sweeeeeeeeeeet! :canada:
Ditto, nice article Zook!
twotired wrote:
Brennan225 - We have not determined the cut off time yet.
I'd like to vote for a 3 hour cutoff. I understand some of the reasons for implementing a 2 1/2 hour cutoff, however if a racer is willing and able to continue and the weather is good I say let them! There is an amazing sense of accomplishment that comes to those for whom this applies if they dig deep to find the determination to finish every last inch of this difficult race...and then do so. I say give them the opportunity. Afterall, we've got the almighty thirtyseven sweeping the race and I'm sure he would agree, he's all about reaching difficult goals and epic memories! :canada:

Excited I am. :cheers:
I totally support a long cutoff. I must finish this race and the longer the cutoff the better chance I'll have. I need all the help I can get!

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Gone racing!

For anyone who hasn't tried a race before or a cross country get out there and do it this weekend!! The weather is going to be premo along with the course too! It's like going on a long ride without having to stop and wait for your buddies (or vice versa) The course will be fun and challenging! Not too hard and not too easy. with time cut off's strategically placed there is alway a way 'out' for you if you just can't go any further due to break downs - bike or body! :lol:

The event organisers work hard on making it fun for you so get out there and give it try!