The Official 2009 Grizzly XC

Work days, Race Volunteers, Questions and Discussion about the races that the RMDRA promotes.
Suzanne
Journalist
Journalist

The Official 2009 Grizzly XC

Post by Suzanne »

Hey Everyone!

After much debate and after having run through several different plans for the race, we have made up our minds. (hopefully they won't change again :crazy: ) Really though, regardless of the format we end up with on the morning of Aug 23, we know it's going to be a kick-butt race and everyone will love the hard work we've put into making this happen! :thumbsup:

Here is the scoop. We will have a challenging but totally doable approx 45km course on the East side of Fisher Creek Road as well as a very difficult Pro loop on the West side of the road. We will accurately measure the course prior to race day so that people will small tanks can figure out their gas situation. If needed we will have a remote gas stop only for guys who think they won't make it around the loop.

Ladies and Beginners will complete the East side loop once.

Juniors/Vets/Intermediates/etc will have the opportunity to complete the East side loop twice assuming they make the cut-off.

Pros will complete the East side loop once and then cross over and complete the West side loop once.

Once this XC portion is completed, the Ironman Competiton will begin. The competition is open to Pros, Vet Masters and Intermediates only. We will have a starting line up beginning at a specific time that we will determine once we have timed out the course. It will be approx 3 - 3 1/2 hours after the XC has begun. In order to race the Ironman, riders must show up at the Ironman start line on time. If you are late, you are not allowed to head out on the course. It is recommended that if you are not a Pro rider, you buddy up and help each other out to ensure you all get out alive. :smirk: The Pro loop has actually been tamed a bit (as per Brent) but you can certainly expect to be put to the test. No crying on the course. The winner of the Ironman will recieve an amazing payout and will etch their name into the King of the Forest crown and keep it for one year until our next race.
Attachments
XC Poster.pdf
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 885 times
Mrs. Wildman

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Re: The Official 2009 Grizzly XC

Post by Brent »

Sweeeeeeeeet! alright, there has got to be around 10-15 km's of fresh built trail just for this race, everyone is going to love it. the pro loop has been detuned twice, as we all know there are some xtremely technical trails at mclean and it would not make any sense to run those with out transfer section on a 120 km (ironman) race.
the ironman is going to kick a$$, bring your back pack full of red bull and rockstars, maybe throw a few beers in there for at the end of the race you won't have to search for your cooler, oh yeah bring a tow strap and a first aid kit too. haha, just messing around, it's gonna be super fun!
We all know that Alberta XC racers are tough people, that love a challenge, so we built a race to match who we are.
We still need sweeper volunteers for sunday, please spread the word and the setup/ribboning will mostly happen this weekend, so it would be great if anyone wants to come out and help hang some ribbon. the coarse has all been figured out already. we do have 1 bridge to lift into place, i will have it delivered tonight and then it just needs to be carried about 100 yards to the fish creek crossing.
i just bought a 570 Husaberg, so i think i will be adding the "Re Entry" climb back into the pro loop. :thumbsup:
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

golarge
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by golarge »

My weekend is free what time and where ?
Yup. Got a new one.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Sign me up for sweep on Sunday.

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

Saturday, 12 pm at south fisher staging area. we will be out for 4-5 hours or what ever you can make happen is a big help.
sunday, 12 pm at south fisher again.

also, next week on thursday and friday afternoons we will need help with finalizing the main loop plus ribboning the expert kids loop too. lets shoot for 4:30 pm at south fisher for thursday and friday. i will be camped out at fisher on thursday evening and will be there all day on friday too.

Monday is also a big day as we need help cleaning up ribboning, banners etc. :canada:
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

Count me in Thursday or Friday for 4:30 if needed! :thumbsup:
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

gdg530
Writer
Writer

Post by gdg530 »

I can come out sunday and help with ribbons and whatever else.

absurveyor
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by absurveyor »

If people are available for volunteering Saturday or Sunday, Can they just show up? What time and where would you like them. I may be able to make 1 day, but will not know till Friday.
'If you can't be fast at least look cool"- Absurveyor circa 1992

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

absurveyor wrote:If people are available for volunteering Saturday or Sunday, Can they just show up? What time and where would you like them. I may be able to make 1 day, but will not know till Friday.
ABSOLUTLEY !!! There will be lots to do (Especially Sunday)

Come to fisher south at the begining of each day and just look for Brenan225 or Suzanne and they get you busy!!!

PS. thanks for the smokies tonight, yum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suzanne
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Suzanne »

Just to add to what Steve said, if you can volunteer this weekend, just show up on Saturday or Sunday. :cheers:

The riders meeting on Saturday is at 10:15 and on Sunday at 10:45 so if possible, please show up before the meeting so we can give you your job and mark you down as a volunteer. If you are late, no problemo - still come out and we'll send you out on the course as a sweeper!

Thanks in advance - it's going to be a great weekend!
Mrs. Wildman

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

pro loop sweepers can show up at 2 pm and then iron man sweepers can show up at 4 pm. any help is greatly appreciated.

man, we are going to need a big feed after wards for such a kick a$$ day. is anyone bringing out food? spinalguy?

I will be bringing a bunch of hamburgers, hot dogs and beer. we CANNOT run short on these supplies.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Shibby! wrote:
I may be available to sweep on Sunday.

I was hoping to take pictures, but because the loops are so long there won't be much opportunity unless I find good locations with shortcuts to hit up the riders passing more then once. Without the marked loop that's next to impossible to figure out.
Shibby, please post this on the other topic called the 'official 09 grizzly'. That way the organizers can keep track of who is interested in sweeping. I think you'll find this course easy for you to shuffle around and get set up to snap pics in lots of different areas. You will be able to ride the whole course on Saturday and determine for your self where the best spots for you would be.
Thanks for the heads up Steve-o.

Unfortunately I cannot do both. Riding with ~50 lbs of camera gear and stands is hard on the body! I'll have a few decisions to make in the next few days and this will be one of them. I'm not certain I'm going to be available on Sunday but provided I am I can either shoot pictures or sweep. Not sure if my skills are on par to sweep the Ironman though.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

Brent wrote:pro loop sweepers can show up at 2 pm and then iron man sweepers can show up at 4 pm. any help is greatly appreciated.

man, we are going to need a big feed after wards for such a kick a$$ day. is anyone bringing out food? spinalguy?

I will be bringing a bunch of hamburgers, hot dogs and beer. we CANNOT run short on these supplies.
Sweepers for the Iron man??? Who's going to "sweep" the sweepers :smirk:

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

i have a couple of x-pros that are interested in watching the carnage and pulling a couple of key ribbons as the last ironman goes through.

we will probably have groups of sweepers that are broken up into different parts of the day and different areas of the loops.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

As far as i know dogs and bevys are accounted for :thumbsup:
i can help out this Thursday at any time. :)
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com