The Official 2009 Grizzly XC

Work days, Race Volunteers, Questions and Discussion about the races that the RMDRA promotes.
d4rk5trok3r
Writer
Writer

Re: The Official 2009 Grizzly XC

Post by d4rk5trok3r »

I won't be camping, but I will be there Friday to Monday. I am going to do a race, beginner I will believe, but want to help out wherever I can. Will there be colour / number packs on site, as I have never put any on my bike?

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

d4rk5trok3r wrote:I won't be camping, but I will be there Friday to Monday. I am going to do a race, beginner I will believe, but want to help out wherever I can. Will there be colour / number packs on site, as I have never put any on my bike?
I think there used to be a guy who came to races to sell/provide numbers, but I haven't seen him??

I really think you'd be better off to get your numbers set up ahead of time. I'm not sure what colour beginner is (maybe red on white?) (can someone confirm here?) Just choose a 3 digit number that no one else would likely have. IE don't choose 7 or 77 or 777 etc.... try something like 489, who's gonna have that??

Crappy tire has or used to have vinyl number packs that contained hoards of number for around five bucks. Not sure if the colours will be right for you though, but it's worth a shot.

I'm glad you're going to race on Sunday, you'll enjoy it!

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

If you use the links to the ADRA website under harescramble is the rules for the race with # colours etc electrical tape works good... Any attempt at the right color is appreciated by the blind old clowns that attend most faces.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

Ricktc
Writer
Writer

Post by Ricktc »

Like thirtyseven said electrical tape works good, in your case just grab a roll of red from Princess Auto for a buck and make up a number for the day, that's what I did until I got my license.

-Rick
Rick Charles
#971 Junior
2007 WR450F

twotired
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by twotired »

MtnBlue wrote:Sweepers for the Iron man??? Who's going to "sweep" the sweepers :smirk:
SAR will have to winch them out in the basket like on Deadliest catch! :smirk:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

There is a guy that will do full # sets for you right at the races. Just look and ask for Gary. He is at most races. :cheers:
Very inexpensive as well :)
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

JohnE
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by JohnE »

I have a couple of beginner questions because me and my buddy are thinking about showing up on the weekend to "race" (I use the word loosely, we're pretty much newbies in our second season at McLean Creek and have never raced before):

- do you need a license or do you just show up before the riders meeting and get assigned a number?

- when is the beginners race? Is it Saturday, Sunday or one on each day?

- is there a schedule posted somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any help and any other tips you might have. Regards, John E.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

http://albertadirtriders.com/hareevents.htm

You can buy a day license at the event. You race on Sunday :cheers:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

gdg530
Writer
Writer

Post by gdg530 »

Will we require numbers on all 3 sides of the bike...i was told that the front number plate would probably be alright.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

gdg530 wrote:Will we require numbers on all 3 sides of the bike...i was told that the front number plate would probably be alright.
Front is all that is required.
i wish it was all 3.

Zeal
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zeal »

I am planning to head out to help on Thurday during the day... noonish.

Do you guys still need any help?

Zeal
08 GasGas (That's the Brand fool!)
250 EC

#999 Int.

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Zeal wrote:I am planning to head out to help on Thurday during the day... noonish.

Do you guys still need any help?

Zeal

No, we are good for now, thanks.

We do need sweepers and volunteers for the 'day'though.

For all those emailing me and others, why would you want to pre ride the course? Doesn't more than half the fun arrive from NOT knowing the course and also navigating through it for the very first time???

Anyway for those of you who insist upon pre-riding the course just head to the well site at Bar C (where we all stage to winter ride) and you will pick up the flags from there. the direction of the course is straight west from there. Have fun :thumbsup:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

steve-o wrote:

For all those emailing me and others, why would you want to pre ride the course? Doesn't more than half the fun arrive from NOT knowing the course and also navigating through it for the very first time???
ummm...maybe its because on the other thread you stated that the course could be ridden on Saturday.
Hence, why i asked on that thread that the course will be allowed to be ridden on Sat as per your stating that.

i know that most XC races will see a fair share of riders pre ride both loops on the Fri and Sat of a LONG WEEKEND XC race.
There is much discussion over this pre riding deal. i was told in the 'old' days, that courses were never pre ridden.
Since i have been racing, 'everyone' pre rides most courses.

With or without your help, folks will find the course IF its flagged. Sometimes organizers flag the course on late Sat afternoon to decrease the traffic on it. i am not saying that is what you should have done but there were several people including me that let you know we were available to flag Thursday or Saturday. There were also plenty of folks that put their name down to help with the XC and none of us were asked to help. So, i am glad you took it on, but many of us were not asked to help which left an enormous amount of work for the few that were in 'the loop'.
Again, thanks for all your hard work. :)

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

I'm with Spinalguy on this one. If no one were to ride it, period, as I assumed would happen at the Grizzly HS, since it was kept all top secret, I'd be cool with that. But it seemed everyone in my class still pre-rode it except myself, so this top secret business didn't work. When I raced in the US there was a no one pre rides policy, though there was always rumours that the locals did anyways. What I've found with a lot of races is, even with a no one pre-rides policy, alot of my competitors go for the whole weekend and sweep the kids course, which includes a large chunk of the adult course, so they have an advantage there.

The big difference it makes for me (due to my lack of experience) is line selection through skag/nasty stuff, and not getting lost or turned around (not that I don't trust your flagging, but I get race blind and blow lots of corners).

I think it's the competitive few that just want that edge up on the competition, or atleast equal grounds. We'd prefer to race the course and not navigate it! :D
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Rider Eh! wrote:
#1What I've found with a lot of races is, even with a no one pre-rides policy, alot of my competitors go for the whole weekend and sweep the kids course, which includes a large chunk of the adult course, so they have an advantage there.

#2The big difference it makes for me (due to my lack of experience) is line selection through skag/nasty stuff, and not getting lost or turned around (not that I don't trust your flagging, but I get race blind and blow lots of corners).

#3I think it's the competitive few that just want that edge up on the competition, or atleast equal grounds. We'd prefer to race the course and not navigate it! :D
#1 Please do come and sweep for the kids on Saturday, and yes their course does use parts of the adult course.

#2 You are a pretty good rider and pretty fast as far as I can remember. Have more faith in your ability. Line selection and your abiblity to pick up flagging etc... is part of the race. Maybe you need to slow down a bit and improge those skills too.

#3 Competition is GREAT, but are you getting a big cash pay out at the end of the year for winning? Just racing and not navigating sounds alot like motocross to me.

All this being said, I still mean it. If you really want to pre-ride go ahead! Just wait until after the kids are completely done on Saturday and go find the course and ride it. I likely will be asking a select few to ride it a race pace so we can have a really good idea of how long it will take. You may be one of them.

Not one pro has emailed me and asked me where is the course and can they pre-ride.