The Grizzly XC 2009

Work days, Race Volunteers, Questions and Discussion about the races that the RMDRA promotes.
darren
Writer
Writer

The Grizzly XC 2009

Post by darren »

Hey its back!!! The Grizzly XC has come out of its year of hibernation and is ready to prowl again!

The Grizzly 09 will be all new structure compared to the 07 run, as we have learned a lot from that event. We were very happy with so many things, but there will be a few changes at this point that we are very certain of. Notably the "B" loop (beginner, junior, ladies A, super vets, and vet B) will be built towards that skill level and will more resemble a Porkies XC (ie some challenges but mostly rideable fun stuff). The "A" loop (vet A, intermediate and pro) will be challenging but appropriate for those skill levels (kind of like French's last XC). And then to satisfy people like me, Brent, Jack, Kevin and a few others, there will be a "pro only loop" which we will probably call "Kill em All" or "In the Grizzlies Den" or "Suffer and Die" or something along those lines! I think the names sell themselves. Brent, Jack, and Kevin have already been putting lines together for that loop and I've heard some good things. However, no worries to the pros, cause you guys are REALLY tough right?!

Anyways, we're looking forward to a great XC here at Mclean that will rock everyone's world on Aug 22 and 23. Suzanne V (soon to be ms wildman!) will be handling the tough stuff like paperwork, permits, write ups, and the like. So far if you want be part of the trail set up on the pro loops, well chances are you don't want to go along with the formentioned crazy guys, but you can talk to me and I will be supervising the A and B loops. We will be needing LOTS OF VOLUNTEERS to make this a benchmark race. Probably by mid December we will be putting volunteer sheets together and I will be getting them accessible to you.

If you would like to call me you can reach me at 403-333-4518.

Thanks
Darren
2008 KTM 300 XCW

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Re: The Grizzly XC 2009

Post by Brent »

Awesome! great initiative from you and Jack to bring the Griz back to life. i am excited to design the pro loop to help out, but i also want to race it this go around. i will also make sure the pro loop is de-ribboned.

I think the layout of the pro loop should be Last Man Standing style, it will be extremely difficult to finish the pro loop if the conditions are great, some will probably not even finish. if it is wet there will be a different route, same casualty rate. the pro loop will be laid out right before the race with the entrance being hidden.
The original "Dream" or idea that started off the Grizzly was that it was to be the toughest race, so hopefully that tradition continues. difficult races make us all better riders!

it's not a black bear or a panda bear. it's the King of The Forest!
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Big Dog wrote:The original "Dream" or idea that started off the Grizzly was that it was to be the toughest race, so hopefully that tradition continues. difficult races make us all better riders!
I agree with BIGDOG Dont make it any easier than 07, we have a reputation to uphold!!!!!!
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

darren
Writer
Writer

Post by darren »

Congrats to Kevin and Suzanne on Friday night, it was a pretty good party, well at least until nine when I left!

Anyways, when Suzanne gets back from their "rideamoon" we're going to have a Grizzly XC meeting to toss some heads around and get a game plan going for who does what where why and how. So far Suzanne is looking after all the important organizational stuff, and Brent, Jack, Kevin (possibly Dave S) and me are doing all the trail organization and the likes.

Sheridan proposed that the A and B loop should be for all categories with alternate A only sections...a good idea. Sort of like the 07 B loop that had a A and B intersection. What does everyone think of that? The idea is growing on me.

Darren
2008 KTM 300 XCW

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

darren wrote:Congrats to Kevin and Suzanne on Friday night, it was a pretty good party, well at least until nine when I left!

Anyways, when Suzanne gets back from their "rideamoon" we're going to have a Grizzly XC meeting to toss some heads around and get a game plan going for who does what where why and how. So far Suzanne is looking after all the important organizational stuff, and Brent, Jack, Kevin (possibly Dave S) and me are doing all the trail organization and the likes.

Sheridan proposed that the A and B loop should be for all categories with alternate A only sections...a good idea. Sort of like the 07 B loop that had a A and B intersection. What does everyone think of that? The idea is growing on me.

Darren
Care must be given to abundant, obvious, can-not-miss signage anywhere one class separates from others and so must take a specific leg/direction. (ie - so that people don't wind up on the incorrect course and get really ticked off!!) :cheers:
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

even if you cover all your basics at an intersection, a rider that is in 'the Zone" can blow right by a waving volunteer and a big sign...but hey, that happens in racing, right!?

2 loops is a huge task, let a lone 3 loops. now if you have 2 active loops for all levels with splits in each loop....man, you guys are really asking for it. but if the voly's step up, then for sure. that is also a huge voly increase at the helmet check area, which is an all day affair for the voly's.

the junior classes really struggled with the B loop last time, let alone any other loop...remember we are talking about mclean creek here. it's either technical gnarly single track or truck trails. plus, juniors and beginners are usually happy with just 40-50 km's of mclean single track. if they want 100 km's of tuff trail, then step up into the top classes.
ask how the sweepers made out in 07 on just the B loop?! who wants to lift bikes up endless hills all day?

not want to come down on you, but why not make this fun for everyone....this includes the organizers and volunteers.

make it simple: one 50 km loop on east side with one A class section/intersection. beginners, juniors, Ladies A and vet B's do 1 loop. then the pros, intermediates and Vet A's go out and do a 2nd loop (that is 100 k's). then after that the pros that still have some energy, cross the road and hit mcleans tuffest trails for 20-30 k's. everyone is happy, especially the event staff!
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

darren
Writer
Writer

Post by darren »

Derek, don't beat the dead cat...you were the ONLY guy to miss that signage! Perhaps pre-riding the course as much as you did was not a good thing!
2008 KTM 300 XCW

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Since I'm new to this...my only suggestion would be to add some sections that the spectators can get to easily. I know this can be difficult to work out but when I watch the "last Man Standing" or the GNCC, I always think how great it is when the crowd gets into the race a little more. Plus, the biggest complaint from my wife is it's boring to go to these since there's nothing to see :nworthy:

Just a suggestion....If she stops coming then someone else has to drive me home when I crash :crazy:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

darren wrote:Derek, don't beat the dead cat...you were the ONLY guy to miss that signage! Perhaps pre-riding the course as much as you did was not a good thing!
Don't feel I am beating the cat Darren. I am the only one who missed the turn, not because the signage was adequate - but only because I was the first one through and the volunteer "directing" riders to go in various directions only began directing Juniors in the appropriate direction AFTER I had passed the intersection.

I believe my earlier post was and is very valid - for any race. It wasn't directed at any specific individual, although I appreciate the fact that you obviously feel guilt from that situation which leads to your sensativity. It's ok Darren, as you pointed out, we all screw up some times and miss things.
Last edited by crazy2wheeler on Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

hey guys, I rode right through a checkpoint in that race, who do I blame that on? Im going to say that the half k of white ribbon wasnt adequate for this old brain to process at speed, perhaps if there were scantily clad..... ah never mind, dumb idea, the sweepers would never make it around!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I think that the split course requires higher than normal attention to detail and organization. In retrospect, for the first RMDRA XC it wasn't bad. I think there was some lessons learned for things to do the same as well as things to do different. I'm sure the '09 Grizzly will be a more improved version of '07!

My suggestion was to have 2 loops for all riders Junior and up. No splits. Give them a long endurance ride. And then have a pro only loop that is really nasty. Start and end the Pros on the nasty loop (so they have to do it twice, once in each direction :D ) and everyone else on the other 2 loops so everyone gets really spread out. If you have loops that are almost all medium level single-track it will become difficult for most riders because of the length of the loops and the intensity of riding single-track and not wider trails. No need for nasty trails except for the Big Dog loop. :D

Or alternatively to 2 loops have just one huge loop (plus the nasty loop) with or without a gas stop. :devil: <just kidding> The only way to do a large loop at Mclean would be to visit all 4 corners of the park and do a clover leaf in the middle. :smirk:

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

excellent idea dirtyboy

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

I like the sounds of dirtyboy's suggestion too.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

dirtyboy wrote:The only way to do a large loop at Mclean would be to visit all 4 corners of the park and do a clover leaf in the middle.
This sounds great to me.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

thirtyseven wrote:hey guys, I rode right through a checkpoint in that race, who do I blame that on? Im going to say that the half k of white ribbon wasnt adequate for this old brain to process at speed, perhaps if there were scantily clad..... ah never mind, dumb idea, the sweepers would never make it around!
"at speed" ? who are you trying to kid. The first check was over half way into the loop. you were likely dehydrated and hallucinating by this point.