The Grizzly XC 2009

Work days, Race Volunteers, Questions and Discussion about the races that the RMDRA promotes.
Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: The Grizzly XC 2009

Post by Spinalguy »

sounds awesome :thumbsup:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Suzanne
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Suzanne »

Just to add to Brent's message...

The 80km loop will have a remote gas stop approx half way through, so about 40km into the race. This will be around the 5km staging area that is located 10km up the road from South Fisher. Soooo spectators can watch their riders leave the start line and then head up the road to the 5k staging area to fill up their riders up and cheer them on. We will have trucks taking gas up to the pit and bringing it back and volunteers maning the fort throughout the race. There will be an EZ up tent set up and will be easy to spot, more details at the riders meeting. We'd like people to try and pair up on their gas cans so that we can keep the numbers down, please. Junior classes: the 80km loop is a very doable loop (most of it is easier than the HS), but the challenge will be to keep your pace for 80km.

Regarding the Pros and the Ironman competition - we haven't decided for sure whether or not the Pros will do the Ironman loop as part of the XC race. Originally the plan was to have everyone finish their 80km and then there would be a short break before everyone lines up for the Ironman comp. We will post the details soon whether or not Pros will need to have 2 gas cans - one for the 40km mark and one for the finish of the 80km. If the Pros do not have to do the Ironman loop as part of the XC, we will have an "Ironman" truck taking all the gas from the 5km pit to the finish line so that all the Ironmen can fill up before we start the race. This will most likely be my truck as the designated gas truck for the Ironmen gas cans.

Although the Ironman comp is technically open to all classes, like Brent said, it is a Pro loop and you will have to do most of your own sweeping. If you are in a lower class and you want to try it out, you will want to partner up with a few guys and head out together in order to ensure everyone gets out alive :smirk:

Hope this makes sense. More details to come.

Also, we are looking for sweepers! Please PM me if you can sweep the 80km course. Sweepers will need to have gas cans taken to the 5km staging area.

Also, just as a note, we will have tarps set up at the gas pits and all gas cans need to be on the tarps.

Suzanne :cheers:
Mrs. Wildman

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Suzanne wrote:
The 80km loop will have a remote gas stop approx half way through, so about 40km into the race. This will be around the 5km staging area that is located 10km up the road from South Fisher. Soooo spectators can watch their riders leave the start line and then head up the road to the 5k staging area to fill up their riders up and cheer them on.

Junior classes: the 80km loop is a very doable loop (most of it is easier than the HS), but the challenge will be to keep your pace for 80km.
Suzanne is spot on here. Gas stop to be around the middle stage area. Should be more like 45-50KM's max, so all you motocrosser's can make it no problem. Unless you're really on the gas you may want to pack your own little 500ml bottle just in case, but really you'll be OK.

Like Suz said the course should be very doable. Some parts on the east side will be equally as challenging as the H/S but without those little narly rooty up hills near the finish so don't worry. Lots of other flowy single track and some new trails will be waiting for your enjoyment along with some established favorites too.

Look forward to seeing everyone out! It will be a fun race!!!!

Stay tuned for more details!

:cheers:

Wildman

Post by Wildman »

Sounds like a wicked loop. I'll be there if I can - looking forward to some payback for all the pain and abuse we dish out when you guys show up at the coast!

KanadianIceMan
Journalist
Journalist

Post by KanadianIceMan »

Count me in to sweep again!

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

I may be available to sweep on Sunday.

I was hoping to take pictures, but because the loops are so long there won't be much opportunity unless I find good locations with shortcuts to hit up the riders passing more then once. Without the marked loop that's next to impossible to figure out.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Shibby! wrote:I may be available to sweep on Sunday.

I was hoping to take pictures, but because the loops are so long there won't be much opportunity unless I find good locations with shortcuts to hit up the riders passing more then once. Without the marked loop that's next to impossible to figure out.
Shibby, please post this on the other topic called the 'official 09 grizzly'. That way the organizers can keep track of who is interested in sweeping. I think you'll find this course easy for you to shuffle around and get set up to snap pics in lots of different areas. You will be able to ride the whole course on Saturday and determine for your self where the best spots for you would be. :thumbsup: